Re: Rename DISK 2

  • rincewindcook
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:

      > rincewindcook wrote:
      > > Hi all
      > >
      > > Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to rename the public folder
      > > 'DISK 2' to something more friendly?
      > > I am using Unslung 6.10
      >
      > Edit the smb.conf file, either in /etc or /opt/etc/samba depending on
      > which version of samba you run, v3.x use the later location, but there
      > may be an explicit config file location in the /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba
      > script.
      >
      > --
      >
      > Brian

      Thanks Brian, but I do not have smb.conf in either of those locations.
      I do have it in the following but I dont know if it would be a good
      thing to edit all of these copies of smb.conf..

      # find / -name smb.conf
      /etc/samba/smb.conf
      /usr/local/smb.conf
      /share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
      /share/flash/data/etc/samba/smb.conf
      /share/flash/data/usr/local/smb.conf
      /share/flash/data/share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
      /share/flash/conf/smb.conf
      /initrd/etc/samba/smb.conf
      /initrd/usr/local/smb.conf

      I dont mind if the folder is still shown as DISK 2 in the web
      interface of unslung, it's just when browsing from my windows machines
      that I would like it to show as something else.
      I might try this
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CreateASingleSambaShareFor2Harddisks
      I think this might work if I just miss out the DISK 1 section
    • rincewindcook
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rincewindcook" <pawcook@...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@> wrote:
        > >
        > > rincewindcook wrote:
        > > > Hi all
        > > >
        > > > Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to rename the public
        folder
        > > > 'DISK 2' to something more friendly?
        > > > I am using Unslung 6.10
        > >
        > > Edit the smb.conf file, either in /etc or /opt/etc/samba depending on
        > > which version of samba you run, v3.x use the later location, but there
        > > may be an explicit config file location in the
        /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba
        > > script.
        > >
        > > --
        > >
        > > Brian
        > >
        > Thanks Brian, but I do not have smb.conf in either of those locations.
        > I do have it in the following but I dont know if it would be a good
        > thing to edit all of these copies of smb.conf..
        >

        > # find / -name smb.conf
        > /etc/samba/smb.conf
        > /usr/local/smb.conf
        > /share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
        > /share/flash/data/etc/samba/smb.conf
        > /share/flash/data/usr/local/smb.conf
        > /share/flash/data/share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
        > /share/flash/conf/smb.conf
        > /initrd/etc/samba/smb.conf
        > /initrd/usr/local/smb.conf
        >

        > I dont mind if the folder is still shown as DISK 2 in the web
        > interface of unslung, it's just when browsing from my windows machines
        > that I would like it to show as something else.
        > I might try this

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CreateASingleSambaShareFor2Harddisks
        > I think this might work if I just miss out the DISK 1 section

        No it didn't really work, I just ended up with the DISK 2 folder
        inside my new folder.
      • rincewindcook
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rincewindcook" <pawcook@...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rincewindcook" <pawcook@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@> wrote:

          > folder
          > > >
          > > > Edit the smb.conf file, either in /etc or /opt/etc/samba
          depending on
          > > > which version of samba you run, v3.x use the later location, but
          there
          > > > may be an explicit config file location in the
          > /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba
          > > > script.
          > > >
          > > > --
          > > >
          > > > Brian
          > > >
          > > Thanks Brian, but I do not have smb.conf in either of those locations.
          > > I do have it in the following but I dont know if it would be a good
          > > thing to edit all of these copies of smb.conf..
          > >

          > > # find / -name smb.conf
          > > /etc/samba/smb.conf
          > > /usr/local/smb.conf
          > > /share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
          > > /share/flash/data/etc/samba/smb.conf
          > > /share/flash/data/usr/local/smb.conf
          > > /share/flash/data/share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
          > > /share/flash/conf/smb.conf
          > > /initrd/etc/samba/smb.conf
          > > /initrd/usr/local/smb.conf
          > >

          > > I dont mind if the folder is still shown as DISK 2 in the web
          > > interface of unslung, it's just when browsing from my windows machines
          > > that I would like it to show as something else.
          > > I might try this

          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CreateASingleSambaShareFor2Harddisks
          > > I think this might work if I just miss out the DISK 1 section
          > >
          > No it didn't really work, I just ended up with the DISK 2 folder
          > inside my new folder.

          I did this for a workaround, created a new share called 'shared files'
          gave full access for everyone, then just hid the Disk2 folder by by
          editing /etc/samba/user_smb.conf and adding the following line

          [DISK 2]
          browsable=no