Re: [nslu2-linux] Rename DISK 2

  • Brian Morrison
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
      rincewindcook wrote:
      > Hi all
      >
      > Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to rename the public folder
      > 'DISK 2' to something more friendly?
      > I am using Unslung 6.10

      Edit the smb.conf file, either in /etc or /opt/etc/samba depending on
      which version of samba you run, v3.x use the later location, but there
      may be an explicit config file location in the /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba
      script.

      --

      Brian
    • rincewindcook
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:

        > rincewindcook wrote:
        > > Hi all
        > >
        > > Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to rename the public folder
        > > 'DISK 2' to something more friendly?
        > > I am using Unslung 6.10
        >
        > Edit the smb.conf file, either in /etc or /opt/etc/samba depending on
        > which version of samba you run, v3.x use the later location, but there
        > may be an explicit config file location in the /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba
        > script.
        >
        > --
        >
        > Brian

        Thanks Brian, but I do not have smb.conf in either of those locations.
        I do have it in the following but I dont know if it would be a good
        thing to edit all of these copies of smb.conf..

        # find / -name smb.conf
        /etc/samba/smb.conf
        /usr/local/smb.conf
        /share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
        /share/flash/data/etc/samba/smb.conf
        /share/flash/data/usr/local/smb.conf
        /share/flash/data/share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
        /share/flash/conf/smb.conf
        /initrd/etc/samba/smb.conf
        /initrd/usr/local/smb.conf

        I dont mind if the folder is still shown as DISK 2 in the web
        interface of unslung, it's just when browsing from my windows machines
        that I would like it to show as something else.
        I might try this
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CreateASingleSambaShareFor2Harddisks
        I think this might work if I just miss out the DISK 1 section
      • rincewindcook
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rincewindcook" <pawcook@...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@> wrote:
          > >
          > > rincewindcook wrote:
          > > > Hi all
          > > >
          > > > Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to rename the public
          folder
          > > > 'DISK 2' to something more friendly?
          > > > I am using Unslung 6.10
          > >
          > > Edit the smb.conf file, either in /etc or /opt/etc/samba depending on
          > > which version of samba you run, v3.x use the later location, but there
          > > may be an explicit config file location in the
          /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba
          > > script.
          > >
          > > --
          > >
          > > Brian
          > >
          > Thanks Brian, but I do not have smb.conf in either of those locations.
          > I do have it in the following but I dont know if it would be a good
          > thing to edit all of these copies of smb.conf..
          >

          > # find / -name smb.conf
          > /etc/samba/smb.conf
          > /usr/local/smb.conf
          > /share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
          > /share/flash/data/etc/samba/smb.conf
          > /share/flash/data/usr/local/smb.conf
          > /share/flash/data/share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
          > /share/flash/conf/smb.conf
          > /initrd/etc/samba/smb.conf
          > /initrd/usr/local/smb.conf
          >

          > I dont mind if the folder is still shown as DISK 2 in the web
          > interface of unslung, it's just when browsing from my windows machines
          > that I would like it to show as something else.
          > I might try this

          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CreateASingleSambaShareFor2Harddisks
          > I think this might work if I just miss out the DISK 1 section

          No it didn't really work, I just ended up with the DISK 2 folder
          inside my new folder.
        • rincewindcook
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rincewindcook" <pawcook@...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rincewindcook" <pawcook@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@> wrote:

            > folder
            > > >
            > > > Edit the smb.conf file, either in /etc or /opt/etc/samba
            depending on
            > > > which version of samba you run, v3.x use the later location, but
            there
            > > > may be an explicit config file location in the
            > /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba
            > > > script.
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > >
            > > > Brian
            > > >
            > > Thanks Brian, but I do not have smb.conf in either of those locations.
            > > I do have it in the following but I dont know if it would be a good
            > > thing to edit all of these copies of smb.conf..
            > >

            > > # find / -name smb.conf
            > > /etc/samba/smb.conf
            > > /usr/local/smb.conf
            > > /share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
            > > /share/flash/data/etc/samba/smb.conf
            > > /share/flash/data/usr/local/smb.conf
            > > /share/flash/data/share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
            > > /share/flash/conf/smb.conf
            > > /initrd/etc/samba/smb.conf
            > > /initrd/usr/local/smb.conf
            > >

            > > I dont mind if the folder is still shown as DISK 2 in the web
            > > interface of unslung, it's just when browsing from my windows machines
            > > that I would like it to show as something else.
            > > I might try this

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CreateASingleSambaShareFor2Harddisks
            > > I think this might work if I just miss out the DISK 1 section
            > >
            > No it didn't really work, I just ended up with the DISK 2 folder
            > inside my new folder.

            I did this for a workaround, created a new share called 'shared files'
            gave full access for everyone, then just hid the Disk2 folder by by
            editing /etc/samba/user_smb.conf and adding the following line

            [DISK 2]
            browsable=no