Rename DISK 2

  • rincewindcook
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
      Hi all

      Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to rename the public folder
      'DISK 2' to something more friendly?
      I am using Unslung 6.10

      Thanks
    • Brian Morrison
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
        rincewindcook wrote:
        > Hi all
        >
        > Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to rename the public folder
        > 'DISK 2' to something more friendly?
        > I am using Unslung 6.10

        Edit the smb.conf file, either in /etc or /opt/etc/samba depending on
        which version of samba you run, v3.x use the later location, but there
        may be an explicit config file location in the /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba
        script.

        --

        Brian
      • rincewindcook
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:

          > rincewindcook wrote:
          > > Hi all
          > >
          > > Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to rename the public folder
          > > 'DISK 2' to something more friendly?
          > > I am using Unslung 6.10
          >
          > Edit the smb.conf file, either in /etc or /opt/etc/samba depending on
          > which version of samba you run, v3.x use the later location, but there
          > may be an explicit config file location in the /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba
          > script.
          >
          > --
          >
          > Brian

          Thanks Brian, but I do not have smb.conf in either of those locations.
          I do have it in the following but I dont know if it would be a good
          thing to edit all of these copies of smb.conf..

          # find / -name smb.conf
          /etc/samba/smb.conf
          /usr/local/smb.conf
          /share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
          /share/flash/data/etc/samba/smb.conf
          /share/flash/data/usr/local/smb.conf
          /share/flash/data/share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
          /share/flash/conf/smb.conf
          /initrd/etc/samba/smb.conf
          /initrd/usr/local/smb.conf

          I dont mind if the folder is still shown as DISK 2 in the web
          interface of unslung, it's just when browsing from my windows machines
          that I would like it to show as something else.
          I might try this
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CreateASingleSambaShareFor2Harddisks
          I think this might work if I just miss out the DISK 1 section
        • rincewindcook
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rincewindcook" <pawcook@...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@> wrote:
            > >
            > > rincewindcook wrote:
            > > > Hi all
            > > >
            > > > Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to rename the public
            folder
            > > > 'DISK 2' to something more friendly?
            > > > I am using Unslung 6.10
            > >
            > > Edit the smb.conf file, either in /etc or /opt/etc/samba depending on
            > > which version of samba you run, v3.x use the later location, but there
            > > may be an explicit config file location in the
            /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba
            > > script.
            > >
            > > --
            > >
            > > Brian
            > >
            > Thanks Brian, but I do not have smb.conf in either of those locations.
            > I do have it in the following but I dont know if it would be a good
            > thing to edit all of these copies of smb.conf..
            >

            > # find / -name smb.conf
            > /etc/samba/smb.conf
            > /usr/local/smb.conf
            > /share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
            > /share/flash/data/etc/samba/smb.conf
            > /share/flash/data/usr/local/smb.conf
            > /share/flash/data/share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
            > /share/flash/conf/smb.conf
            > /initrd/etc/samba/smb.conf
            > /initrd/usr/local/smb.conf
            >

            > I dont mind if the folder is still shown as DISK 2 in the web
            > interface of unslung, it's just when browsing from my windows machines
            > that I would like it to show as something else.
            > I might try this

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CreateASingleSambaShareFor2Harddisks
            > I think this might work if I just miss out the DISK 1 section

            No it didn't really work, I just ended up with the DISK 2 folder
            inside my new folder.
          • rincewindcook
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rincewindcook" <pawcook@...> wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rincewindcook" <pawcook@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@> wrote:

              > folder
              > > >
              > > > Edit the smb.conf file, either in /etc or /opt/etc/samba
              depending on
              > > > which version of samba you run, v3.x use the later location, but
              there
              > > > may be an explicit config file location in the
              > /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba
              > > > script.
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > >
              > > > Brian
              > > >
              > > Thanks Brian, but I do not have smb.conf in either of those locations.
              > > I do have it in the following but I dont know if it would be a good
              > > thing to edit all of these copies of smb.conf..
              > >

              > > # find / -name smb.conf
              > > /etc/samba/smb.conf
              > > /usr/local/smb.conf
              > > /share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
              > > /share/flash/data/etc/samba/smb.conf
              > > /share/flash/data/usr/local/smb.conf
              > > /share/flash/data/share/hdd/conf/smb.conf
              > > /share/flash/conf/smb.conf
              > > /initrd/etc/samba/smb.conf
              > > /initrd/usr/local/smb.conf
              > >

              > > I dont mind if the folder is still shown as DISK 2 in the web
              > > interface of unslung, it's just when browsing from my windows machines
              > > that I would like it to show as something else.
              > > I might try this

              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CreateASingleSambaShareFor2Harddisks
              > > I think this might work if I just miss out the DISK 1 section
              > >
              > No it didn't really work, I just ended up with the DISK 2 folder
              > inside my new folder.

              I did this for a workaround, created a new share called 'shared files'
              gave full access for everyone, then just hid the Disk2 folder by by
              editing /etc/samba/user_smb.conf and adding the following line

              [DISK 2]
              browsable=no