Re: [nslu2-linux] Moving debian_slug to a new HD

  • feffer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
      feffer wrote:

      > ...OK, the GUID on the Seagate is definitely an issue. I was able to copy
      > the system to a borrowed MyBook hd with no GUID and fdisk, formatting and
      > boot worked fine, but I returned the hd after testing. So now I have to
      > resolve the GUID table on the Seagate. Can I use GRUB to overwrite the GPT
      > with a BIOS-type MBR? Or should I do this another way?

      Solution, in case anyone else has an issue installing on a Seagate or other
      drive with a GUID Partition Table (GPT), and has trouble. Trying to use
      fdisk will fail; it cannot handle the GPT, and exits with the message to use
      "parted" None of the other partition editors like Gparted or Qparted will
      work either -- only "parted" Using "parted" it is possible to use the
      "msdos" option to overwrite the GPT with a standard MBR. Then you can use
      fdisk to partition your drive and debian should install fine. I was able to
      get my Seagate FreeAgent 500 GB drive running with the nslu2 that way.

      feffer