Power adaptor problem

  • Harsh Baste
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
      I recently brought along my NSLU2 from the US and plugged it into a
      power socket in Singapore. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention to
      the power adaptor rating and it turns out that the adaptor doesn't
      step down the input supply current from 230V/60Hz (Asia) to 110V/50Hz
      (US).

      The NSLU2 doesn't power up of course but what I'm more worried about
      is - have I bricked the NSLU2 or just bricked the power adapter?

      Any assistance would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
    • Joel Gebhart
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Harsh Baste" <harshbaste@...> wrote:

        > The NSLU2 doesn't power up of course but what I'm more worried about
        > is - have I bricked the NSLU2 or just bricked the power adapter?

        90% chance you just borked the power adapter. Get any switch mode
        power adapter (that means the voltage supplied is very stable
        regardless of load) with the correct size and polarity tip. I forget
        exactly but I think the NSLU2 comes with a 5vdc 2amp power adapter but
        can operate on between about 5 - 15vdc.

        If you use something different, ask again for verification that I
        remember this correctly and get a power adapter that can provide
        comparable power. That would be at least 1 amp at 10v or .7 amps at
        15v. In the US RadioShack sells high quality power adapters with tips
        that you can select the correct size. I have seen similar but cheaper
        looking power supplies other places.

        Good luck
      • Adam Baker
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
          Joel Gebhart <colin@...> writes:
          > --- In nslu2-linux@..., "Harsh Baste" <harshbaste@...> wrote:
          >
          > > The NSLU2 doesn't power up of course but what I'm more worried about
          > > is - have I bricked the NSLU2 or just bricked the power adapter?
          >
          > 90% chance you just borked the power adapter. Get any switch mode
          > power adapter (that means the voltage supplied is very stable
          > regardless of load) with the correct size and polarity tip. I forget
          > exactly but I think the NSLU2 comes with a 5vdc 2amp power adapter but
          > can operate on between about 5 - 15vdc.

          You need a supply that is exactly 5V, much less and the slug won't be reliable
          (although when my PSU failed recently with the well known capacitor fault the
          slug didn't die till the PSU was down to about 3.5V) and any more than 5V is
          likely to fry anything plugged into the USB connector.

          You need at least 2A if you want to be able to supply the USB spec of 500 mA to
          both USB peripherals.