Getting started with development for the slug

  • vivekv
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
      Folks:
      Can you please point me to the right place to read more about how I
      can get started for development from my x86 Debian for the slug
      running unslung 6.10? I want to get it setup so I can do something
      more than just ipkg updates

      Regards
      Vivek
    • Sébastien Lorquet
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/HomePage
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile#debian

        you're welcome ;-)

        vivekv a écrit :
        > Folks:
        > Can you please point me to the right place to read more about how I
        > can get started for development from my x86 Debian for the slug
        > running unslung 6.10? I want to get it setup so I can do something
        > more than just ipkg updates
        >
        > Regards
        > Vivek

      • vivekv
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sébastien Lorquet <squalyl@...> wrote:

          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/HomePage
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile#debian
          >
          > you're welcome ;-)

          Been there and done that. I was hoping for more recent experiences.
          For example here is what I am facing when try to install unslung packages

          vivekv@insideman:~$ cd slug
          vivekv@insideman:~/slug$ make setup
          [ -e common/.git/config ] || \
          ( git clone git://repo.or.cz/nslu2-linux/master.git common && \
          rm -f Makefile && \
          ln -s common/Makefile Makefile )
          touch common/.git/config
          [ -e bitbake/.svn/entries ] || \
          ( svn co svn://svn.berlios.de/bitbake/tags/bitbake-1.8.10
          bitbake )
          touch bitbake/.svn/entries
          [ -e openembedded/.git/config ] || \
          ( git clone git://git.openembedded.net/openembedded
          openembedded ; \
          cd openembedded ; \
          git config --add remote.origin.fetch
          '+refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/*' )
          remote: Counting objects: 267640, done.
          Indexing 267640 objects.
          fatal: unexpected EOF done
          fatal: early EOF
          fatal: index-pack died with error code 128
          fetch-pack from 'git://git.openembedded.net/openembedded' failed.
          /bin/sh: line 2: cd: openembedded: No such file or directory
          git: 'config' is not a git-command

          The most commonly used git commands are:
          add Add files to the index file
          apply Apply patch on a git index file and a work tree
          archive Creates a archive of the files in the named tree
          bisect Find the change that introduced a bug
          branch List, create, or delete branches.
          checkout Checkout and switch to a branch
          cherry-pick Apply the change introduced by an existing commit
          clone Clones a repository
          commit Record your changes
          diff Show changes between commits, commit and working
          tree, etc
          fetch Download objects and a head from another repository
          grep Print lines matching a pattern
          init-db Creates an empty git repository
          log Show commit logs
          merge Grand Unified Merge Driver
          mv Move or rename a file, directory or symlink
          prune Prunes all unreachable objects from the object database
          pull Pull and merge from another repository or a local
          branch
          push Update remote refs along with associated objects
          rebase Rebase local commits to a new head
          reset Reset current HEAD to the specified state
          revert Revert an existing commit
          rm Remove files from the working tree and from the index
          show Show one commit with difference it introduces
          show-branch Show branches and their commits
          status Show working tree status
          tag Create a tag object signed with GPG
          verify-tag Check the GPG signature of tag
          (use 'git help -a' to get a list of all installed git commands)
          make: *** [setup-openembedded] Error 1

          > vivekv a écrit :
          > > Folks:
          > > Can you please point me to the right place to read more about how I
          > > can get started for development from my x86 Debian for the slug
          > > running unslung 6.10? I want to get it setup so I can do something
          > > more than just ipkg updates
          > >
          > > Regards
          > > Vivek

        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
            vivekv wrote:
            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sébastien Lorquet <squalyl@...> wrote:
            >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
            >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/HomePage
            >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile
            >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile#debian
            >>
            >> you're welcome ;-)
            >>

            > Been there and done that.

            But you didn't tell us that.

            > I was hoping for more recent experiences.

            The wiki is reasonably up-to-date and works for many others. So I
            rather suspect it's not out-of-date documentation that we should be
            looking for...

            > For example here is what I am facing when try to install unslung packages
            >
            > vivekv@insideman:~$ cd slug
            > vivekv@insideman:~/slug$ make setup
            > [ -e common/.git/config ] || \
            > ( git clone git://repo.or.cz/nslu2-linux/master.git common && \
            > rm -f Makefile && \
            > ln -s common/Makefile Makefile )
            > touch common/.git/config
            > [ -e bitbake/.svn/entries ] || \
            > ( svn co svn://svn.berlios.de/bitbake/tags/bitbake-1.8.10
            > bitbake )
            > touch bitbake/.svn/entries
            > [ -e openembedded/.git/config ] || \
            > ( git clone git://git.openembedded.net/openembedded
            > openembedded ; \
            > cd openembedded ; \
            > git config --add remote.origin.fetch
            > '+refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/*' )
            > remote: Counting objects: 267640, done.
            > remote: Compressing objects: 100% (93094/93094), done.
            > Indexing 267640 objects.
            > fatal: unexpected EOF done
            > fatal: early EOF
            > fatal: index-pack died with error code 128
            > fetch-pack from 'git://git.openembedded.net/openembedded' failed.

            OUCH! Looks like your host's git failed. Perhaps a bad network
            connection? Firewall? Proxy config?

            > /bin/sh: line 2: cd: openembedded: No such file or directory

            Yeah, the git command failed, so the openembedded git repo isn't there
            for the cd command to cd to... so this is rather expected at this point.

            > git: 'config' is not a git-command

            Uh-oh -- this is bad.

            > The most commonly used git commands are:
            > add Add files to the index file
            > apply Apply patch on a git index file and a work tree
            > archive Creates a archive of the files in the named tree
            > bisect Find the change that introduced a bug
            > branch List, create, or delete branches.
            > checkout Checkout and switch to a branch
            > cherry-pick Apply the change introduced by an existing commit
            > clone Clones a repository
            > commit Record your changes

            Hmmm... no git config command. I'm guessing that your host git is
            possibly just out-of-date; that may also explain the troubles earlier as
            well. As a data point, git --version on my system is 1.5.6.6; I think I
            recall that 1.5.3 was also working fine for me.

            What Debian version are you running for your host?

            Mike (mwester)
          • vivekv
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > > git: 'config' is not a git-command
              >
              > Uh-oh -- this is bad.
              >

              > > The most commonly used git commands are:
              > > add Add files to the index file
              > > apply Apply patch on a git index file and a work tree
              > > archive Creates a archive of the files in the named tree
              > > bisect Find the change that introduced a bug
              > > branch List, create, or delete branches.
              > > checkout Checkout and switch to a branch
              > > cherry-pick Apply the change introduced by an existing commit
              > > clone Clones a repository
              > > commit Record your changes
              >
              > Hmmm... no git config command. I'm guessing that your host git is
              > possibly just out-of-date; that may also explain the troubles earlier as
              > well. As a data point, git --version on my system is 1.5.6.6; I think I
              > recall that 1.5.3 was also working fine for me.
              >
              > What Debian version are you running for your host?

              Hm... I am on git 1.4.4.4. I do have a resonable network connection
              (no drops etc., .5 MBPS) and the failure happens when setup is about
              20-25% indexing complete. I cant seem to find a newer version of git.
              apt-get cant find it. I have to look for it manually I guess. I am
              running Debian 4.0 Etch on CoLinux.
            • Sébastien Lorquet
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
                I think you need a more recent version of "git". Mine is:

                slug@debian:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
                lenny/sid
                slug@debian:~$ git --version
                git version 1.6.0.4
                slug@debian:~$

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   mailto:nslu2-linux-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   mailto:nslu2-linux-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Sébastien Lorquet
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
                  Ah, just noticed that you are using colinux, like me. Got the git problem too. I started by installing a raw git tarball, then I noticed that upgrading to debian unstable (which is stable enough to build a linux distro) was a more convenient solution to get the right package versions.

                  Also note that you will need a *huge* disk image for colinux to build more than the simple "<osname>-image" :)