Re: [nslu2-linux] CUPS and Linux Printing problem

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2009
      johngt_uk wrote:
      > Hello all. I have been using the www.nslu2-linux.org/ web page to try
      > and solve a problem I have been having with the NSLU2 and an HP
      > LaserJet 1010 printer.
      >
      > After following the add printer documentation I am still at a loss as
      > how to get the printer to work correctly. I have had much more
      > difficulty with this than rsync, ntpd, ushare, openssl and a couple of
      > others combined! So any advice would help greatly.

      There is nothing at all easy about printer management, so you're
      certainly not alone in this.

      > The printer is a Hewlett Packard LaserJet 1010. The NSLU2 is unslung
      > with 6.10 uNSLUng. To avoid over using the flash I have touch'ed
      > /.ext3flash and somewhere along the line I also disabled the swap
      > space but still have up to 1200kB odd when typing free into the console.

      A print server without enough virtual memory or disk space is a disaster
      waiting to happen. You will need to re-enable swap, at the very least.
      My print server has a 20GB laptop drive -- total overkill, but I know
      that I need the swap, and that some of the stuff queued up will be huge.

      > Then the process I went through was ipkg install cups, ipkg install
      > cups-doc, ipkg install ghostscript, ipkg install hpijs. Going through
      > the add printer process in CUPS I could only detect a printer on LP0
      > even though it is USB connected. Then tried using the PPD's provided
      > by the HPIJS and next the one on the openlinux printing web-page.
      > Both times printing a test page would result in
      > /opt/lib/cups/foomatic-rip failed. Going through the error logs it
      > seemed to state that the renderer, ghostscript was failing but as I
      > could not find the command it was being passed even with debug and
      > debug2 in cupsd.conf set I could not repeat the process in the
      > terminal. Using lpadmin, lp and various options such as the following
      > I had no luck:
      > lpoptions -p HP_Laser -l
      > lpadmin -p HP_Laser -m /name of ppd file [same as printer?] -E enable
      > printer

      You can't run the renderer on the NSLU2 -- it simply doesn't have the
      memory or the "oomph" to do the job. Instead you have to configure it
      such that it merely passes the PCL through to the HP printer, but the
      rendering is done on the other devices in the network. This makes the
      cups configuration on the NSLU2 much simpler as well.

      > I then tried a different line which was to install HPLIP instead of
      > HPIJS. At the same time I installed libusb and this allowed lsusb to
      > show that the device was appearing. Dmesg was also registering that
      > the device was connected and .c and .o were being registered correctly.
      >
      > lsusb result:
      > Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
      > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
      > Bus 002 Device 003: ID 03f0:0c17 Hewlett-Packard
      > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
      > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0781:5151 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Micro 256/512MB
      > Flash Drive
      >
      > lsmod result:
      > Module Size Used by Tainted: P
      > printer 6488 0
      > ufsd 164872 0
      > x1226-rtc 3664 0
      > rbuttons 1304 0 (unused)
      > pbuttons 800 0 (unused)
      > ixp425_eth 17116 0 (unused)
      > ixp400 608216 0 [ixp425_eth]
      >
      > Using the default printer HP990c and not modifying too much would
      > result in the printer being talked to but apart from PCL_Unsupported
      > personality it wasn't doing too much.
      >
      > If someone could guide me through the steps that I may or may not have
      > understood as to how to get the printer working I would be grateful.
      >
      > I have tried using vi to edit the foomatic-gswrapper and foomatic-rip
      > to change /dev/fd/3 to /dev/null but no success. I have installed and
      > removed the various components now so am unsure if they are in a clean
      > state anymore. Is there a way other than ipkg remove XYZ to make sure
      > all the components are removed? ipkg files XYZ and then remove the files?

      I had several attempts to build the print server when I did it; the
      easiest way to recover is to wipe the device clean and re-install.

      > Thanks very much for your time and hopefuly I will soon see the end of
      > foomatic-rip failing!

      foomatic-rip will continue to fail as long as you attempt to run it on
      the NSLU2! So just bit the bullet, set it up to pass PCL through, and
      run the renderer on some other device in the network (Linux or even
      Windows, I do both in mine).

      Mike (mwester)
    • johngt_uk
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2009
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > I have tried using vi to edit the foomatic-gswrapper and foomatic-rip
        > > to change /dev/fd/3 to /dev/null but no success. I have installed and
        > > removed the various components now so am unsure if they are in a clean
        > > state anymore. Is there a way other than ipkg remove XYZ to make sure
        > > all the components are removed? ipkg files XYZ and then remove the
        files?

        > I had several attempts to build the print server when I did it; the
        > easiest way to recover is to wipe the device clean and re-install.
        >
        > > Thanks very much for your time and hopefuly I will soon see the end of
        > > foomatic-rip failing!
        >
        > foomatic-rip will continue to fail as long as you attempt to run it on
        > the NSLU2! So just bit the bullet, set it up to pass PCL through, and
        > run the renderer on some other device in the network (Linux or even

        Mike,

        Thank you very much for those pointers. Short reply is that it worked!

        I had thought that I may have missed the simple solution when going
        through all the GhostScript and foomatic-rip perl scripts to try and
        find a limiting factor for an embedded system.
        When the simple print test page from cups web page failed I then went
        for the more complicated system. In fact leaving the HP990c as the
        raw printer I would get PCL_Unsupported Personality errors and now I
        gather (from the openlinux printing page) that the HP 1010 requires an
        additional 8 bytes to be sent for that error not to occur. By setting
        up my Windows machines with the correct HP LaserJet 1010 driver and
        pointing to the http://[NSLU2IP]:631/printers/hp990c link they
        actually sent the correct commands and printing started almost
        automatically.
        I wasted a few days trying to see why foomatic could be failing but as
        you said the lack of memory and possibly other dependencies meant that
        it was never likely to work.
        Additionaly I have found that I have not had to re-enable the swap
        space to get the printing to work even with pages with large amounts
        of graphics, however I may yet find that large multiple documents and
        queues will cause problems but none as of yet.

        Thanks again.
        John