Re: Backup on openWrt

  • lance_benson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
      I'm ready to add the following page to the wiki, and a link from the
      openwrt homepage in the wiki, but I don't see how to add a new page.
      If someone can tell me how to add a page, I'll also add a page
      telling how to add a page.

      Backup openWrt Kamikazi 7.09 flash

      ! Backup Flash on NSLU2 running openWrt Kamikazi 7.09

      Prepared Jan 3, 2009

      After advice from Rod Whitby this works to produce a backup of the
      flash which can be reflashed onto another (or the same) NSLU2 (no
      external device on this slug):

      dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 > /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
      dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
      dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
      dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
      dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
      dd if=/dev/mtdblock6 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin

      This produces a file in tmp, NSLU2C_image.bin, which is 8388608 bytes
      long, the size of the image which is flashed into the NSLU2. Note
      that the dds omit mtdblock5, which is a subset of mtdblock4--leaving
      it in produces an image which is too large.

      Now how to get this file back on a Windows PC. There is probably a
      simpler way, but you can made the file available over http by running
      this:

      /usr/sbin/httpd -p 82 -h /tmp -c /etc/httpd.conf

      which makes port 82 available with the home directory of /tmp. This
      httpd.conf does not specify a password.

      Then from the PC you can run this PHP program (php must be available).

      <?php // GetNSimg.php gets NSLU2 openWrt firmware image file
      $Geturl = "http://192.168.1.77:82/NSLU2C_image.bin";
      $A = file_get_contents($Geturl);
      $fh = fopen("NSLU2C_image.bin", 'w') or die("Can't open file");
      fwrite($fh,$A);
      fclose($fh);
      ?>

      This image can then successfully be flashed (using the Sercomm
      upgrade utility) onto a new NSLU2. You can access this NSLU2, change
      the ip address, and voila, a cloned openWrt 7.09 slug.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
        lance_benson wrote:
        > Ok, Rod, thanks for your suggestions. The following works for me (I
        > don't know if the mount r/o and remounts are needed--still awaiting
        > feedback--and do I have them specified right; should there be no
        > slash before the "4"?):
        >
        > mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtdblock/4 /jffs
        > dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 > /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
        > dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
        > dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
        > dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
        > dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
        > dd if=/dev/mtdblock6 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
        > mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock/4 /jffs

        The remount as ro is definitely a good idea, in case the jffs2 changes
        while copying.

        > This produces a file in tmp, NSLU2C_image.bin, which is 8388608 bytes
        > long, the size of the image which is flashed into the NSLU2. Note
        > that the dds omit mtdblock5, which is a subset of mtdblock4.
        >
        > Now how to get this file back on my Windows PC. There is probably a
        > simpler way, but I don't know it.

        WinSCP.

        > I then successfully flashed this image (using the Sercomm upgrade
        > utility) onto a new NSLU2 for which I had not been able to find the
        > IP address. I was able to access this NSLU2, change the ip address,
        > and voila, a cloned openWrt 7.09 slug.
        >
        > I will update the wiki.

        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
          lance_benson wrote:
          > I'm ready to add the following page to the wiki, and a link from the
          > openwrt homepage in the wiki, but I don't see how to add a new page.
          > If someone can tell me how to add a page, I'll also add a page
          > telling how to add a page.

          Just type the name of the new page into the browser at the right place,
          and it will ask you if you want to start editing it.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
            lance_benson wrote:
            > I'm ready to add the following page to the wiki, and a link from the
            > openwrt homepage in the wiki, but I don't see how to add a new page.
            > If someone can tell me how to add a page, I'll also add a page
            > telling how to add a page.

            Actually, can you please just add it to the existing backup page?
            There's no need to add a new page for it when there's an existing page
            on howto backup the slug.

            -- Rod
          • lance_benson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
              > Actually, can you please just add it to the existing backup page?

              Done, here:
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CompletelyBackupTheNSLU2 with
              links added to several other backup pages. One question: the
              letters "NSLU2C" were underlined and followed by a guestion mark, with
              a link suggesting that a wiki page be added for this. I don't know why
              this was, or what to do about it.
            • reuter.rudolf
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lance_benson" <lance_benson@...>
                wrote:
                One question: the
                > letters "NSLU2C" were underlined and followed by a guestion mark, with
                > a link suggesting that a wiki page be added for this. I don't know why
                > this was, or what to do about it.

                Hello Lance,
                NSLU2C is interpreted as a wiki word. But that page does not exist. In
                order to remove that interpretation just type [=NSLU2C=].
                Please see also http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/PmWiki/PmWiki
                and http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/PmWiki/MarkupMasterIndex
                and search for "[=".
                Greetings, Rudy
              • lance_benson
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
                  > In order to remove that [wiki word] interpretation just
                  > type [=NSLU2C=].

                  Thanks, Rudy. I figured out that it was making a link, and fixed it by
                  changing it to lower case. But I didn't know about "[="--thanks for
                  that tip.