Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Backup on openWrt

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
      Yep, that corresponds. Note how omitting the rootfs_data partition means that the addresses for the remaining partitions follow on from each other perfectly up to the full 8MB.
      Please update the wiki with this new information.
      -- Rod

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
        Ok, Rod, thanks for your suggestions. The following works for me (I
        don't know if the mount r/o and remounts are needed--still awaiting
        feedback--and do I have them specified right; should there be no
        slash before the "4"?):

        mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtdblock/4 /jffs
        dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 > /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
        dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
        dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
        dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
        dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
        dd if=/dev/mtdblock6 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
        mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock/4 /jffs

        This produces a file in tmp, NSLU2C_image.bin, which is 8388608 bytes
        long, the size of the image which is flashed into the NSLU2. Note
        that the dds omit mtdblock5, which is a subset of mtdblock4.

        Now how to get this file back on my Windows PC. There is probably a
        simpler way, but I don't know it. I made the file available over
        http by running this:

        /usr/sbin/httpd -p 82 -h /tmp -c /etc/httpd.conf

        which makes port 82 available with the home directory of /tmp. My
        httpd.conf does not specify a password.

        Then from the PC I ran this PHP program (php must be available).

        <?php // GetNSimg.php gets NSLU2 openWrt firmware image file
        $Geturl = "http://192.168.1.77:82/NSLU2C_image.bin";
        $A = file_get_contents($Geturl);
        $fh = fopen("NSLU2C_image.bin", 'w') or die("Can't open file");
        fwrite($fh,$A);
        fclose($fh);
        ?>

        I then successfully flashed this image (using the Sercomm upgrade
        utility) onto a new NSLU2 for which I had not been able to find the
        IP address. I was able to access this NSLU2, change the ip address,
        and voila, a cloned openWrt 7.09 slug.

        I will update the wiki.
      • lance_benson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
          I'm ready to add the following page to the wiki, and a link from the
          openwrt homepage in the wiki, but I don't see how to add a new page.
          If someone can tell me how to add a page, I'll also add a page
          telling how to add a page.

          Backup openWrt Kamikazi 7.09 flash

          ! Backup Flash on NSLU2 running openWrt Kamikazi 7.09

          Prepared Jan 3, 2009

          After advice from Rod Whitby this works to produce a backup of the
          flash which can be reflashed onto another (or the same) NSLU2 (no
          external device on this slug):

          dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 > /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
          dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
          dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
          dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
          dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
          dd if=/dev/mtdblock6 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin

          This produces a file in tmp, NSLU2C_image.bin, which is 8388608 bytes
          long, the size of the image which is flashed into the NSLU2. Note
          that the dds omit mtdblock5, which is a subset of mtdblock4--leaving
          it in produces an image which is too large.

          Now how to get this file back on a Windows PC. There is probably a
          simpler way, but you can made the file available over http by running
          this:

          /usr/sbin/httpd -p 82 -h /tmp -c /etc/httpd.conf

          which makes port 82 available with the home directory of /tmp. This
          httpd.conf does not specify a password.

          Then from the PC you can run this PHP program (php must be available).

          <?php // GetNSimg.php gets NSLU2 openWrt firmware image file
          $Geturl = "http://192.168.1.77:82/NSLU2C_image.bin";
          $A = file_get_contents($Geturl);
          $fh = fopen("NSLU2C_image.bin", 'w') or die("Can't open file");
          fwrite($fh,$A);
          fclose($fh);
          ?>

          This image can then successfully be flashed (using the Sercomm
          upgrade utility) onto a new NSLU2. You can access this NSLU2, change
          the ip address, and voila, a cloned openWrt 7.09 slug.
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
            lance_benson wrote:
            > Ok, Rod, thanks for your suggestions. The following works for me (I
            > don't know if the mount r/o and remounts are needed--still awaiting
            > feedback--and do I have them specified right; should there be no
            > slash before the "4"?):
            >
            > mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtdblock/4 /jffs
            > dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 > /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
            > dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
            > dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
            > dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
            > dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
            > dd if=/dev/mtdblock6 >> /tmp/NSLU2C_image.bin
            > mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock/4 /jffs

            The remount as ro is definitely a good idea, in case the jffs2 changes
            while copying.

            > This produces a file in tmp, NSLU2C_image.bin, which is 8388608 bytes
            > long, the size of the image which is flashed into the NSLU2. Note
            > that the dds omit mtdblock5, which is a subset of mtdblock4.
            >
            > Now how to get this file back on my Windows PC. There is probably a
            > simpler way, but I don't know it.

            WinSCP.

            > I then successfully flashed this image (using the Sercomm upgrade
            > utility) onto a new NSLU2 for which I had not been able to find the
            > IP address. I was able to access this NSLU2, change the ip address,
            > and voila, a cloned openWrt 7.09 slug.
            >
            > I will update the wiki.

            Thanks.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
              lance_benson wrote:
              > I'm ready to add the following page to the wiki, and a link from the
              > openwrt homepage in the wiki, but I don't see how to add a new page.
              > If someone can tell me how to add a page, I'll also add a page
              > telling how to add a page.

              Just type the name of the new page into the browser at the right place,
              and it will ask you if you want to start editing it.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
                lance_benson wrote:
                > I'm ready to add the following page to the wiki, and a link from the
                > openwrt homepage in the wiki, but I don't see how to add a new page.
                > If someone can tell me how to add a page, I'll also add a page
                > telling how to add a page.

                Actually, can you please just add it to the existing backup page?
                There's no need to add a new page for it when there's an existing page
                on howto backup the slug.

                -- Rod
              • lance_benson
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
                  > Actually, can you please just add it to the existing backup page?

                  Done, here:
                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CompletelyBackupTheNSLU2 with
                  links added to several other backup pages. One question: the
                  letters "NSLU2C" were underlined and followed by a guestion mark, with
                  a link suggesting that a wiki page be added for this. I don't know why
                  this was, or what to do about it.
                • reuter.rudolf
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lance_benson" <lance_benson@...>
                    wrote:
                    One question: the
                    > letters "NSLU2C" were underlined and followed by a guestion mark, with
                    > a link suggesting that a wiki page be added for this. I don't know why
                    > this was, or what to do about it.

                    Hello Lance,
                    NSLU2C is interpreted as a wiki word. But that page does not exist. In
                    order to remove that interpretation just type [=NSLU2C=].
                    Please see also http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/PmWiki/PmWiki
                    and http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/PmWiki/MarkupMasterIndex
                    and search for "[=".
                    Greetings, Rudy
                  • lance_benson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 3, 2009
                      > In order to remove that [wiki word] interpretation just
                      > type [=NSLU2C=].

                      Thanks, Rudy. I figured out that it was making a link, and fixed it by
                      changing it to lower case. But I didn't know about "[="--thanks for
                      that tip.