Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Correct Bad Sharing With Two Drives

  • jl.050877@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 27, 2008
      On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 11:36:44AM -0000, bill_steiner2002 wrote:
      > Thanks John, I am able to FTP into the unit and I can copy the file to
      > my PC and edit/save it as a text file but I am not having any luck
      > moving the edited file back to the unit.

      You can copy the file out because you, the normal user, have
      'read' permission. To overwrite one of root's files, you need
      'write' permission for that file.

      > Using FTP, I have tried logging on as a user and as the
      > administrator but it will not allow me to make changes. If I try
      > to use root as the user name it will not accept the password I
      > setup for root.

      I don't use ftp but it is a typical Unix security measure to
      restrict the ability of remote users to log in as root. There is
      likely a configuration file in the /etc directory that you can
      change to allow this. If you want specifics, you should post which
      distribution that you are using and which ftp server and maybe
      someone here will know its configuration specifics.

      (For an application like this, I would likely use scp, that is
      , secure copy, which is part of the ssh package)

      > Should I telnet in as root, if I do, can you tell me how I transfer the
      > file to the unit from my WinXP Pro PC?

      As another possible solution, you could copy the file via ftp
      to a normal user's account. Then telnet in as root and copy (cp)
      the file to its correct location.

      John