How to cleanly unmount a drive

  • rincewindcook
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2008
      First off I have only recently joined this group after buying my
      first slug, and I want to say thanks for all the great info that is here
      and in the wiki.

      My setup so far is as follows
      NSLU2 V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta
      uNSLUng status: Unslung to disk2, /dev/sda1
      A 300GB drive on port2 which i have succesfully unslung to.
      A 300GB non native ext3 drive on port1 automounting ok.

      I am a linux novice but with all the excellent information here I have
      had little trouble setting this up (after quite a lot of reading first)

      I have removed my drive from port1 and want to access it directly on
      my windowsXP machine using Ext2IFS, but it will not mount the drive as
      it has not been cleanly unmounted. I shut down the slug via the web
      interface. What do I need to do to ensure the drive is unmounted cleanly?
      Thanks in advance for any help offered.
    • Drew Gibson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24, 2008
        the generic Linux answer would probably be something like...

        umount /dev/sdb1

        You can check that the device really is /dev/sdb1 by just typing "mount"
        on its own

        for example:-

        slug:~$ mount
        /dev/sda1 on /initrd type jffs2 (rw)
        /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
        /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
        usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
        /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data type ext3 (rw)
        /dev/sda2 on /share/flash/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
        slug:~$

        sda is the "unslung drive" so a second drive would be sdb. The appended
        number represents the partition on the physical device.

        If there is a problem with the disk, unmount it ( but leave it
        connected) then:-

        fsck /dev/sdb1

        or a variation thereof might fix it.

        regards,

        Drew

        rincewindcook wrote:
        > First off I have only recently joined this group after buying my
        > first slug, and I want to say thanks for all the great info that is here
        > and in the wiki.
        >
        > My setup so far is as follows
        > NSLU2 V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta
        > uNSLUng status: Unslung to disk2, /dev/sda1
        > A 300GB drive on port2 which i have succesfully unslung to.
        > A 300GB non native ext3 drive on port1 automounting ok.
        >
        > I am a linux novice but with all the excellent information here I have
        > had little trouble setting this up (after quite a lot of reading first)
        >
        > I have removed my drive from port1 and want to access it directly on
        > my windowsXP machine using Ext2IFS, but it will not mount the drive as
        > it has not been cleanly unmounted. I shut down the slug via the web
        > interface. What do I need to do to ensure the drive is unmounted cleanly?
        > Thanks in advance for any help offered.

      • Brian Wood
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 24, 2008
          On Wednesday 24 December 2008 10:39:26 Drew Gibson wrote:
          > the generic Linux answer would probably be something like...
          >
          > umount /dev/sdb1
          >
          > You can check that the device really is /dev/sdb1 by just typing "mount"
          > on its own
          >
          > for example:-
          >
          > slug:~$ mount
          > /dev/sda1 on /initrd type jffs2 (rw)
          > /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
          > /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
          > usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
          > /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data type ext3 (rw)
          > /dev/sda2 on /share/flash/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
          > slug:~$
          >
          > sda is the "unslung drive" so a second drive would be sdb. The appended
          > number represents the partition on the physical device.
          >
          > If there is a problem with the disk, unmount it ( but leave it
          > connected) then:-
          >
          > fsck /dev/sdb1
          >
          > or a variation thereof might fix it.

          You could try the old-fashioned way:

          sync
          sync

          This was to make sure the everything had been written to the drive. It was
          really unnecessary, even back when it was used.

          But it never hurt anyone.

          --
          beww
          bwood@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 24, 2008
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood <bwood@...> wrote:

            > On Wednesday 24 December 2008 10:39:26 Drew Gibson wrote:
            > > the generic Linux answer would probably be something like...
            > >
            > > umount /dev/sdb1

            Thanks Drew, that worked a treat. It would be nice though if when
            shutting down the slug it cleanly unmounted the drives automatically.
            I'm sure it could be done, with a little knowledge (Which i dont have yet)