Re: Streaming mp3 files using Musicbrowser (advice needed)

  • jmir_po
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2008
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Reitmayr <treitmayr@...> wrote:

      > Hi Joao,
      > as stated on the Musicbrowser's website, server-side playback is
      provided in a very basic way. From looking at the source code,
      starting a new song should stop the current song and start the new one
      if index.php contains the recommended
      > 'serverPlayer' => "killall madplay; /usr/bin/madplay"
      > Just stopping the current song does not seem to be possible without
      implementing some additional code.

      > If in your setup you mainly want the _slug_ to play audio, an
      alternative solution would be MPD with the RELAXX web frontend
      (http://relaxx.dirk-hoeschen.de/). I personally like MPD because it
      can be easily controlled in many different ways - eg. via a web
      frontend, or in my case an IR remote control + occasionally some Linux
      client.
      > For playback on your laptop you would have to use a different
      solution though, eg. just mount the slug's HD via Samba.

      > Regards,
      > -Thomas
      >

      > ________________________________

      Hi, Thomas! It's good to hear from you again!

      Thank you for your suggestion about trying the web frontend Relaxx
      (http://relaxx.dirk-hoeschen.de/) for streaming audio files using
      unslung 5.5 over a home network.Compared to Musicbrowser it's far much
      better in terms of features and even in speed. I can confirm that used
      together with Lighttpd for streaming mp3 files it work's like a sharm.
      The only feature missing (compared with Musicbrowser) is the
      capability of showing album art (well, it would be even better if,
      besides mp3 and flac audio formats, the author could give support for
      some other formats...)

      In terms of installation, I'll add here a detail that might be usefull
      for other users interested in achieving this and not very familiar
      with Linux environment (like me): it took me some time (and efforts)
      before I could understand that I should place the Relaxx files into
      Lighttpd folder or the browser won't start the application; the same
      is true with Musicbrowser... I don't know the reason...

      (also, for those interested in this, I used 3 very detailed wiki's
      which I recommend: mpd wiki - http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Configuration;
      HiFi Hacks - http://www.hifihacks.com/?page_id=65
      and the initial nlsu2-linux -
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SlugAsAudioPlayer)

      I've just purchased the X-Fi Mod sound card from Creative and I'll
      share my experience as soon as I get the time to give it a try with
      the Slug... Do you know anything about it?
      Cheers!
      Joao