Re: problem with startup script on SlugOS BE 4.8

  • prupertplum
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
      Cool, thanks for the suggestions, I will try out what you said and
      report back. I am pretty sure the script isn't being run at all, since
      I tried adding an echo script started today > /home/test.txt to the
      script, but the file wasn't screated :(
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, James Fidell <james@...> wrote:

      > prupertplum wrote:
      > > Hi again
      > >
      > > Simple one this time<snip>
      > at the end of the script.
      >
      > James

    • prupertplum
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
        Thanks for this update, I will test this one out as well. Hopefully,
        when my Linux Bible arrives for Xmas, I will be able to work out what
        all the commandes were that you used and how they work ;)

        Will update with results.

        Right, I tried both scripts, still no luck and no logs being written
        where they should. So it seems the script isn't being run at boot,
        there is no mention of any scripts failing in dmesg.

        I am at a bit of a loss here - I suppose I could replicate the symlink
        across rcX.d but that sounds kinda crazy to me.

        One thing that aint clear from the wiki is which is the best firmware
        to choose currently (i.e. 2008) such that all feeds and packages are
        up-to-date and the OS is still being actively developed. It seems
        SlugOS or Debian is the way to go if you want a modern kernal to run
        on an external drive....just wanted to check I wasn't shooting myself
        in the foot by using SlugOS.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "shinji2570" <shinji@...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, James Fidell <james@> wrote:
        > >
        > > <snip>would go to the file.

      • reuter.rudolf
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2009
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "prupertplum" <r.plumridge@...> wrote:

          > Hi again
          >
          > Simple one this time. I have created a simple startup script to load
          > snort on start-up, but it never gets executed for some reason.
          >
          > It is simply:
          > #!/bin/sh
          > /opt/bin/snort -c /opt/etc/snort.conf -i eth0
          >

          > Its an executable script in /etc/init.d and I have created a symlink
          > to it at /etc/rc3.d/s99snort and it has the exact same permissions as
          > all the other files in both init.d and rc3.d.
          >
          > But it never loads - well, snort is never shown as running in top. The
          > script works fine if I run it from the command line. So I am a little
          > bit stumped as to why it doesn't load at boot.
          >
          > The only issue I see is that all the other symlinks in rc3.d are
          > replicated in all the other rcX.ds. So do I need to create symlinks in
          > all the rcX.ds for my script to work? According to the wiki, I need
          > only create one symlink in rc3.d since my runlevel is 3....
          >
          > Any views much appreciated...

          Hello,

          I have a similar problem. My start script for a Python program is in
          /etc/init.d/moin.sh. If I start it from the command line it works.
          The script actually starts as I can see from a logging:
          echo "test" | logger
          an read with logread as root.
          I figured out, that the path /opt/bin is not there at boot time, why?

          Help would be very much appeciated, Rudy
        • jl.050877@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 8, 2009
            On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 05:37:18PM -0000, reuter.rudolf wrote:
            > I have a similar problem. My start script for a Python program is in
            > /etc/init.d/moin.sh. If I start it from the command line it works.
            > The script actually starts as I can see from a logging:
            > echo "test" | logger
            > an read with logread as root.
            > I figured out, that the path /opt/bin is not there at boot time, why?

            As for why /opt/bin is missing on boot-up, if it is, I don't
            know specifically in this case but, in general, it is the Unix
            philosophy to restrict the path, as well as the rest of the
            environment, so as to make it harder for virus/worms/whatever to do
            their tricks to gain control.

            If your analysis is correct, then the solution, if you haven't
            solved it already, is to set the path in the script moin.sh. After
            the initial comments but before any executable lines, add a line
            like:

            export PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/bin

            except that you should replace the path I used above with whatever
            is the correct path is on your system for the user who runs moin.sh
            (probably root). From the command prompt as that user, type
            "echo $PATH" and copy the output into the above.

            John
          • reuter.rudolf
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2009
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, jl.050877@... wrote:

              > On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 05:37:18PM -0000, reuter.rudolf wrote:
              > > I have a similar problem. My start script for a Python program is in
              > > /etc/init.d/moin.sh. If I start it from the command line it works.
              > > The script actually starts as I can see from a logging:
              > > echo "test" | logger
              > > an read with logread as root.
              > > I figured out, that the path /opt/bin is not there at boot time, why?
              >
              > As for why /opt/bin is missing on boot-up, if it is, I don't
              > know specifically in this case but, in general, it is the Unix
              > philosophy to restrict the path, as well as the rest of the
              > environment, so as to make it harder for virus/worms/whatever to do
              > their tricks to gain control.
              >
              > If your analysis is correct, then the solution, if you haven't
              > solved it already, is to set the path in the script moin.sh. After
              > the initial comments but before any executable lines, add a line
              > like:
              >
              > export PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/bin
              >
              > except that you should replace the path I used above with whatever
              > is the correct path is on your system for the user who runs moin.sh
              > (probably root). From the command prompt as that user, type
              > "echo $PATH" and copy the output into the above.
              >
              > John

              Hello John,

              Thank you for the good explanation of the background. I have
              implemented your hint, but it did not work unfortunately. Yes, I agree
              it has something to do with the startup routine. It is strange that in
              my script "moin.sh":
              mkdir -m 755 "/var/volatile/www" 2>&1 | logger
              does work (the RAM-disk was created), but not:
              echo $PATH | logger

              At the moment I am trying to figure out in a shell script if
              "/opt/bin" is alread in $PATH. But as it looks like with the new
              "export ..." command, it will not be the cause of the trouble. So I am
              digging deeper into the init process of linux.

              Greetings, Rudi
            • reuter.rudolf
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 9, 2009
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@...> wrote:

                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, jl.050877@ wrote:
                > >
                > > On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 05:37:18PM -0000, reuter.rudolf wrote:
                > > I have a similar problem. My start script for a Python program is in
                > > /etc/init.d/moin.sh. If I start it from the command line it works.
                > > The script actually starts as I can see from a logging:
                > > echo "test" | logger
                > > an read with logread as root.
                > > I figured out, that the path /opt/bin is not there at boot time,
                why?

                > As for why /opt/bin is missing on boot-up, if it is, I don't
                > know specifically in this case but, in general, it is the Unix
                > philosophy to restrict the path, as well as the rest of the
                > environment, so as to make it harder for virus/worms/whatever to do
                > their tricks to gain control.
                >
                > If your analysis is correct, then the solution, if you haven't
                > solved it already, is to set the path in the script moin.sh. After
                > the initial comments but before any executable lines, add a line
                > like:
                >
                > export PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/bin
                >
                > except that you should replace the path I used above with whatever
                > is the correct path is on your system for the user who runs moin.sh
                > (probably root). From the command prompt as that user, type
                > "echo $PATH" and copy the output into the above.
                >
                > John

                Hello John,

                Thank you for the good explanation of the background. At the first try
                of your hint I fooled myself by mixing up a link with an old shell
                file in /etc/rc3.d. Now I found my error, and voila you are perfectly
                right with the "export PATH ..." statement, that solved my problem.

                Thank you very much for your great help.

                With best regards, Rudy
              • Neil Ronketti
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 9, 2009
                  </lurk>

                  Hello The List,

                  I have a very simple question, and I rather suspect I'm missing
                  something obvious - so apologies if this has been asked before.

                  I'm trying to edit one of the wiki pages at
                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddUSBOneWireAdapter to give an
                  example of a init.d script that can be used to automagically kick
                  digitemp into life when the slug is booted. When I try to edit the page,
                  I'm prompted for a password, which I don't have.

                  So, I go off to look at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/PmWiki/PmWiki
                  and the advice there states: "Getting edit access: If you spot a mistake
                  or see an opportunity for improvement on a password-protected page, you
                  need to get a password in order to edit the page. Todo: document the
                  process for getting such a password."

                  Can anyone enlighten me as to how I can add this info? I promise to also
                  update the wiki page on how to request such a password :)

                  First post. Please be gentle.

                  Many thanks,
                  nr.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 9, 2009
                    The password is on the bottom of the front page of the wiki.
                    -- Rod