zd1211 on slugOS be: posted to wrong group reposting

  • prupertplum
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2008
      Hi

      First off I am sorry, I posted to the wrong group (nslu2-general)
      instead of this one - so I guess I should repost as my original would
      have been rejected.

      To cut what was a very long post short, essentially, after reading on
      the NSLU2 Wiki and various posts here, it seems that I should get a
      USB WiFi dongle that is supported by the zd1211b driver working easly
      in SlugOS BE 4.8 by installing the necessary driver. However, I've
      managed to insmod zd1211rw and the other dependencies, but despite
      edting /etc/network/interfaces and also using the script on
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/WirelessNetworkAdapter
      after typing ifup wlan0 I get an error saying SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such
      device, same error with ifconfig wlan0 and ifup eth1 (from script on
      wiki page). According to my device I need the zd1211b driver, though I
      am not sure how to use that.

      Does anyone have any suggestions what to do?

      Also, is WiFi on SlugOS BE not recommended as a reliable connection -
      I have read that it drops out quite a lot requiring a system restart
      (I want to use it as an always-on to be able to ssh into SlugOS and
      ssmtp me an email once a day)? If so, can anyone recommend a good
      cheap USB Ethernet dongle to get to use with SlugOS BE 4.8? Thanks.
    • prupertplum
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2008
        Well, in answer to myself, it seems from other posts here people have
        had lots of problems with the zd1211b drivers and it requires
        compiling from source in SlugOS to even hope to get it to work - as I
        feel this is beyond me as I have no devel environment, I guess I need
        to go down the USB Ethernet route.

        So, recommendations for a good USB Ethernet dongle for SlugOS BE 4.8
        would be great please - and am I likely to come across problems
        getting that to work with SlugOSBE as well?

        BTW if there is another slug firmware I can use that works well with
        zd1211b then I am happy to flash - so long as it also supports snort ;)
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "prupertplum" <prupertplum@...> wrote:

        > Hi....<snip>...slugOS BE 4.8? Thanks.

      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2008
          prupertplum wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > First off I am sorry, I posted to the wrong group (nslu2-general)
          > instead of this one - so I guess I should repost as my original would
          > have been rejected.
          >
          > To cut what was a very long post short, essentially, after reading on
          > the NSLU2 Wiki and various posts here, it seems that I should get a
          > USB WiFi dongle that is supported by the zd1211b driver working easly
          > in SlugOS BE 4.8 by installing the necessary driver. However, I've
          > managed to insmod zd1211rw and the other dependencies, but despite
          > edting /etc/network/interfaces and also using the script on
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/WirelessNetworkAdapter
          > after typing ifup wlan0 I get an error saying SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such
          > device, same error with ifconfig wlan0 and ifup eth1 (from script on
          > wiki page). According to my device I need the zd1211b driver, though I
          > am not sure how to use that.
          >
          > Does anyone have any suggestions what to do?

          I see a lot of conclusions that you've come to, but no information that
          would help anyone determine what the problem might really be!

          Let's start with the driver. What's the output from the "lsmod" command
          after you do the "insmod zd1211rw" command? After that, plug in the
          wireless dongle, wait a few seconds, then use the "dmesg" command to get
          the kernel messages -- what are the last 100 lines or so of that?

          Basically, this will help determine if your device is seen at all, and
          what the USB ids would be for it. Let's start with that for the moment.

          (Regarding your other emails, yes, SlugOS is a fine place to start, it
          does support wireless devices with the correct drivers, and there is no
          easy way to provide information on what ethernet dongles may or may not
          work since the vendors market completely different chipsets in the same
          packaging -- however, most of the common ones on the market will work.)

          Mike (mwester)
        • prupertplum
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2008
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

            > I see a lot of conclusions that you've come to, but no information >
            that would help anyone determine what the problem might really be!
            sorry, all that info was included in my other post to nslu2-general, I
            should have repeated here.

            > Let's start with the driver. What's the output from the "lsmod" command
            > after you do the "insmod zd1211rw" command?

            Ok, first, inorder to insmod zd12211rw, I first have to indmod a
            number of other modules, all realted to ieee802111. After doing these,
            I can finally insmod zd1211rw (but only by doing insmod zd1211rw.ko in
            the correct directory). After doing this, this is what lsmod shows:

            Module Size Used by
            zd1211rw 41380 0
            ieee80211softmac 21728 1 zd1211rw
            ieee80211 26180 2 zd1211rw,ieee80211softmac
            ieee80211_crypt_tkip 9536 0
            ieee80211_crypt 3040 2 ieee80211,ieee80211_crypt_tkip
            ixp4xx_mac 14612 0
            ixp4xx_qmgr 5388 5 ixp4xx_mac
            mii 3424 1 ixp4xx_mac
            ext3 110504 2
            jbd 47784 1 ext3
            mbcache 5604 1 ext3
            ohci_hcd 16804 0
            ehci_hcd 30252 0

            After that, plug in the
            > wireless dongle, wait a few seconds, then use the "dmesg" command to get
            > the kernel messages -- what are the last 100 lines or so of that?

            This is what dmesg shows after doing the insmod and lsmod and then
            plugging in the usb adaptor and waiting a few seconds:

            <6>usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 3
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211_wx_get_encodeext
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211_wx_set_encode
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211_wx_get_encode
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_wx_set_rate
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211_txb_free
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211_wx_set_auth
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211_wx_set_encodeext
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol alloc_ieee80211softmac
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_highest_supported_rate
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_wx_trigger_scan
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211_wx_get_auth
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_wx_get_scan_results
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211_set_geo
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_wx_get_genie
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_start
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_wx_set_essid
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211_rx
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_wx_get_wap
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_wx_get_rate
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211_rx_mgt
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_wx_get_essid
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_wx_set_wap
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol free_ieee80211
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_wx_set_mlme
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_wx_set_genie
            <4>zd1211rw: Unknown symbol ieee80211softmac_stop
            <4>ieee80211: Unknown symbol ieee80211_get_crypto_ops
            <4>ieee80211: Unknown symbol ieee80211_crypt_deinit_entries
            <4>ieee80211: Unknown symbol ieee80211_crypt_delayed_deinit
            <4>ieee80211: Unknown symbol ieee80211_crypt_deinit_handler
            <4>ieee80211: Unknown symbol ieee80211_crypt_quiescing
            <7>ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
            <7>ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'TKIP'
            <6>ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13
            <6>ieee80211: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation
            <jketreno@...>
            <6>usbcore: registered new interface driver zd1211rw
            <6>usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
            <6>usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

            This shows when I first disconnected the adaptor before conducting
            your instructions, then what happened when I first did insmod zd1211rw
            - it fails and why I needed to insmod all the other ieee80211 modules,
            and then what it registers when the adaptor is plugged back in,
            essentially, only two lines. They don't mean much to me, but it seems
            that it is not registering the device as a wireless adaptor and not
            sure what configuration it is choosing....

            Here are the results of various ifconfig commands after plugging in
            the device:

            root@snug:/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw$
            ifup wlan0SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
            root@snug:/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw$
            ifup eth1 SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
            root@snug:/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw$
            ifconfig wlan0
            ifconfig: wlan0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
            root@snug:/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw$

            > Basically, this will help determine if your device is seen at all, and
            > what the USB ids would be for it. Let's start with that for the moment.
            >
            > (Regarding your other emails, yes, SlugOS is a fine place to start, it
            > does support wireless devices with the correct drivers, and there is no
            > easy way to provide information on what ethernet dongles may or may not
            > work since the vendors market completely different chipsets in the same
            > packaging -- however, most of the common ones on the market will work.)
            >
            > Mike (mwester)

            Ok, thanks for your views on this - I have bought a couple of USB
            dongles from eBay that seem most common (and hence most popular) and
            will try em out and update the wiki if they seem to work - my problem
            is that I don't know how to work out what chipset these dongles use,
            and hence wont know what driver to install, but I will see how I manage.

            Thanks for taking the time to answer my posts and I look forward to
            progressing this - sorry for not giving usefull info earlier ;)
          • Mike (mwester)
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2008
              prupertplum wrote:...
              > Here are the results of various ifconfig commands after plugging in
              > the device:
              >
              > root@snug:/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw$
              > ifup wlan0SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
              > root@snug:/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw$
              > ifup eth1 SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
              > root@snug:/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw$
              > ifconfig wlan0
              > ifconfig: wlan0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
              > root@snug:/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw$

              "ifconfig -a" will list all the interfaces present on the systems - what
              is the output from that command? Also, what is the output from
              "iwconfig" (you may have to install wireless-tools to get that command)?

              Mike (mwester)
            • prupertplum
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 7, 2008
                Hi

                root@snug:~$ ifconfig -a
                eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1D:7E:B4:3D:39
                inet addr:192.168.1.129 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
                collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
                RX bytes:318927883 (304.1 MiB) TX bytes:400115 (390.7 KiB)

                lo Link encap:Local Loopback
                inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
                UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
                collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
                RX bytes:12240 (11.9 KiB) TX bytes:12240 (11.9 KiB)

                root@snug:~$ iwconfig
                lo no wireless extensions.

                eth0 no wireless extensions.

                and /etc/network/interfaces shows:

                # /etc/network/interfaces
                # configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
                #
                # The loopback interface
                auto lo
                iface lo inet loopback
                #
                # The interface used by default during boot
                auto eth0
                # Automatically generated from /etc/default/sysconf
                # address, netmask and gateway are ignored for 'dhcp'
                # but required for 'static'
                iface eth0 inet dhcp
                address 192.168.1.77

                iface wlan0 inet dhcp
                pre-up /sbin/ifconfig $IFACE up
                pre-up cp /etc/resolv.conf /tmp/r
                wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
                wpa-driver wext
                wireless-key secret
                wireless-essid plumternet
                up cp /tmp/r /etc/resolv.conf

                auto eth1
                iface eth1 inet dhcp
                pre-up /sbin/ifconfig $IFACE up
                pre-up cp /etc/resolv.conf /tmp/r
                wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
                wpa-driver wext
                wireless-key secret
                wireless-essid plumternet
                up cp /tmp/r /etc/resolv.conf

                so, device isn't being registered correctly maybe?