Debian install & unslung

  • minimatica
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi guys,
      I want to install debian on my Nslu2 (266Mhz;D).
      I read http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html but I want to
      be sure:

      1)could I upgrade, using debian-installer firmware image, from unslung
      6.8beta via web interface?

      2)If yes, after that, it should start the installer, right? ....and
      wait 4 hours.

      or should I reflash, totally, the nslu2 using sercom?

      TNX a lot!

      -
      Lukketto
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
        minimatica wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        > I want to install debian on my Nslu2 (266Mhz;D).
        > I read http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html but I want to
        > be sure:
        >
        > 1)could I upgrade, using debian-installer firmware image, from unslung
        > 6.8beta via web interface?
        >
        > 2)If yes, after that, it should start the installer, right? ....and
        > wait 4 hours.
        >
        > or should I reflash, totally, the nslu2 using sercom?

        As the wiki notes, there is no web interface to flash firmware on any of
        the replacement firmwares for the NSLU2. So you'll have to place the
        NSLU2 in upgrade mode (the reset button technique described on the wiki
        is the best way to do this), and use either upslug2 (linux) or sercomm
        to upload the new firmware.

        Mike (mwester)
      • minimatica
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

          > minimatica wrote:
          > > Hi guys,
          > > I want to install debian on my Nslu2 (266Mhz;D).
          > > I read http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html but I want to
          > > be sure:
          > >
          > > 1)could I upgrade, using debian-installer firmware image, from unslung
          > > 6.8beta via web interface?
          > >
          > > 2)If yes, after that, it should start the installer, right? ....and
          > > wait 4 hours.
          > >
          > > or should I reflash, totally, the nslu2 using sercom?
          >
          > As the wiki notes, there is no web interface to flash firmware on any of
          > the replacement firmwares for the NSLU2.

          Hi Mike,
          tnx for the reply even if I read here
          http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html that I can install in
          this way:
          "Using the web interface from the original NSLU2 firmware. Go to the
          administration section, choose Upgrade, browse your disk for the
          debian-installer image you have just downloaded. Then press the Start
          Upgrade button, confirm, wait for a few minutes and confirm again. "

          right?

          TNX again!
        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
            minimatica wrote:
            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
            >> As the wiki notes, there is no web interface to flash firmware on any of
            >> the replacement firmwares for the NSLU2.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^

            > Hi Mike,
            > tnx for the reply even if I read here
            > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html that I can install in
            > this way:
            > "Using the web interface from the original NSLU2 firmware. Go to the
            > administration section, choose Upgrade, browse your disk for the
            > debian-installer image you have just downloaded. Then press the Start
            > Upgrade button, confirm, wait for a few minutes and confirm again. "
            >
            > right?

            By "replacement" firmwares, I am referring to Unslung, SlugOS, OpenWRT,
            Debian, and all other firmwares except the original Linksys firmware.
            If you have the original stock Linksys firmware installed, then you will
            have a functional web GUI that (usually, but not always) can reflash any
            firmware to the device.

            If you have installed Unslung, SlugOS, OpenWRT, Debian, or any other
            non-Linksys firmware, then you will have not have a working web GUI, and
            you must do the firmware flash via sercomm or upslug2.

            Mike (mwester)
          • minimatica
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

              > By "replacement" firmwares, I am referring to Unslung, SlugOS, OpenWRT,
              > Debian, and all other firmwares except the original Linksys firmware.
              > If you have the original stock Linksys firmware installed, then you will
              > have a functional web GUI that (usually, but not always) can reflash any
              > firmware to the device.
              >
              > If you have installed Unslung, SlugOS, OpenWRT, Debian, or any other
              > non-Linksys firmware, then you will have not have a working web GUI, and
              > you must do the firmware flash via sercomm or upslug2.
              >
              > Mike (mwester)

              Hi Mike,
              tnx again, I did't know that, with unslung, I can't upgrade anymore!
              Another quetsion again: after reflash, via ssh I start the installer,
              have I to chamge anything or have I to say yes to all? ;)

              TNX in advance!
            • Martin Michlmayr
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
                * minimatica <ripetizioni@...> [2008-12-02 08:38]:
                > tnx again, I did't know that, with unslung, I can't upgrade anymore!
                > Another quetsion again: after reflash, via ssh I start the installer,
                > have I to chamge anything or have I to say yes to all? ;)

                Answering yes to everything (i.e. using the default) will work just
                fine (with the lenny installer).

                --
                Martin Michlmayr
                http://www.cyrius.com/