Scheduled turn-on / turn-off

  • peachtree_ccc
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2008
      Is there a way to schedule NSLU2 to 1) turn on and 2) turn off at
      particular times each day? I would like to build a back-up server
      where the back-up schedule corresponds to when the NSLU2 is active.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Mario Ruprecht
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2008
        Turn off should be easy, could be probably done by a cronjob or a script based solution. But you're not saying what OS you're running on the slug.

        Switch on is more difficult. WakeOnLAN is not possible as it is not supported by the hardware. If you modify your slug in order to switch on automatically (described here: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ForcePowerAlwaysOn or here: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AutoPowerSlugViaUSB) you might use a timeswitch to power on the device.

        Anyway, the slug does not consume much power so for me this would be overkill ;-) my slugs runs 24/7.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
          On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM, peachtree_ccc <eyurtkuran@...> wrote:
          Is there a way to schedule NSLU2 to 1) turn on and 2) turn off at
          particular times each day?  I would like to build a back-up server
          where the back-up schedule corresponds to when the NSLU2 is active.

          As Mario Ruprecht said,  the OS needs to be specified.  Hardware modifications are required for power to be restored after turning off.  There are no provisions for the on-board RTC to set that, AFAIK.

          In regards to saving power (if that's your concern), I've had some good luck with using a script like this for periodic, automated NFS backups.  Note that this is with OpenWRT (with appropriate modules opkg'ed) and this runs as a cronjob twice a day.  Some will say that I'm shortening the life of the HDD but AFAIK the killer of hard drives is HEAT (especially in a passively-cooled case).  Note that a directory called "DL" is my trigger to ensure the source and dest paths exist.  You don't want to delete all files if something quirky happens with the remote server.

          Hope that helps,
             -Rob

          #!/bin/bash
          #
          # backup drive from SRC to DST using rsync

          SRCIP=192.168.1.10
          SRC="$SRCIP:/home"
          DST="/mnt/usb_hd1"
          LOCSRC="/mnt/linux"
          RSYNC=/usr/bin/rsync
          LOG="/mnt/root/linuxbackup.log"

          test -x $RSYNC || exit 0
          echo -n "Starting Linux server rsync backup..." >>$LOG
          date >>$LOG

          if [ "`pidof rsync`" = "" ]; then
            sdparm --command=start /dev/sdb
            sleep 10
            mount -t ext2 -o noatime /dev/sdb1 $DST >>$LOG
            sleep 10
            ping -c 1 $SRCIP 2>/dev/null 1>/dev/null
            if [ $? -eq 0 ] && [ -d ${DST}/DL ]; then
              if [ ! -d ${LOCSRC}/DL ]; then
                echo "Directory " ${LOCSRC}/DL "not found; mounting." >>$LOG
                  mount -t nfs $SRC $LOCSRC -o nolock
                else
                 echo "Directory " ${LOCSRC}/DL "already found" >>$LOG
              fi
              if [ -d ${LOCSRC}/DL ]; then
                echo heartbeat >/sys/class/leds/nslu2\:red\:status/trigger
                echo heartbeat >/sys/class/leds/nslu2\:green\:disk-1/trigger
                nice -n 10 /usr/bin/rsync -va --delete --force --stats \
                  --exclude=System\ Volume\ Information --exclude=lost+found \
                  ${LOCSRC}/ ${DST}/ >>$LOG
                echo none >/sys/class/leds/nslu2\:green\:disk-1/trigger
                echo none >/sys/class/leds/nslu2\:red\:status/trigger
              else
                echo "Cannot find directory " ${LOCSRC}/DL >>$LOG
              fi
            else
              echo "Cannot ping server ${SRCIP}, or dest ${DST}/DL doesn't exist." >>$LOG
            fi
            echo "unmounting " $LOCSRC >>$LOG
            sync
            sleep 10
            umount $LOCSRC
            umount $DST
            sleep 10
            sdparm --command=stop /dev/sdb

          else
             echo "rsync currently running... stopping backup of " ${SRC} >>$LOG
          fi
          exit 0

        • MIKi
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2008
            The board of NSLU containes the required Clock chip. One wire needs to
            be soldered on the board only. After that the chip will be able to wake
            up the Slug any time as you programmed before. Pls see it here:

            http://johnarthur.wordpress.com/2008/06/26/a-battery-powered-time-lapse-
            camera/

            I am not a nLinux expert to say how to write a task, but someone can
            help you.