Re: [nslu2-linux] can't boot NSLU2 after flashing it

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2008
      Neil Telford wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I've flashed my Slug many times, but when I did this at the weekend (with a
      > Debian installer), I plugged it back into my router, it just won't boot up.
      >
      > I checked my router, and no IP address is being assigned to it.
      >
      > I tried to reflash several times, and even tried to reflash back to the
      > original Linksys firmware.
      >
      > However, I seem to be able to flash it, and it does start when I power it
      > up, but it just hangs after it tries to connect to the network.
      >
      > Is this probably bricked? I try and remove the internal battery, but I can't
      > even manage to remove that. It seems locked into place, and I can't remove
      > it (any suggestions on this).
      >
      > I'm stumped right now.
      >
      > Any suggestions?

      Most of the firmwares for the NSLU2 read the "sysconf" data to determine
      the network settings -- this data survives flashing. So it is most
      likely that the device is working just fine, but it is selecting the
      network configuration that it had at some point in the past.

      The easiest way to deal with the "I lost my Slug on the network!"
      problem is to flash the original Linksys firmware, boot the slug up, and
      follow the Linksys procedure to reset the device to factory default
      settings (which involves holding in the reset button on the back of the
      device for some period of time after it has been booted up).

      It is possible for the sysconf area to be corrupted or damaged to the
      point where the device will get confused at boot time, and never get to
      a state where it can be reset -- for those cases, the wiki describes how
      to manually reset the sysconf partition. Avoid that technique unless
      all else fails, as it can result in permanent damage to your slug if you
      do it wrong. In other words, try the Linksys reset procedure first, and
      multiple times, before you manually clear the sysconf data.

      Mike (mwester)