Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Disk 1 to Disk 2 Backup Not Functioning?

  • David Ondzes
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 8, 2004
      On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:21:44 -0000, polarisdbs <polarisdb@...> wrote:
      > I reformatted Disk2 on Unslung 1.11 and verified that the backup
      > failed. I upgraded to Unslung 2.12 and verified that the backup
      > still failed.
      >
      > I then reformatted Disk2 on Unslung 2.12 and have the disk backup
      > running now. It appears to be working as expected...
      >
      > Something in the Unslung 1.11 conf partition just won't coexist
      > peacefully with the disk-to-disk backup. Fortunately, it looks like
      > that is resolved with Unslung 2.12.

      I plan to update my firmware tonight. I will try the same steps and
      see if my experience is the same. Having never done a success
      disk-to-disk backup I am want to make sure I am doing it properly. Are
      there directions on the wiki ? The backup is started from the linksys
      web interface, correct ?
    • polarisdbs
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 8, 2004
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, David Ondzes <dao@p...> wrote:
        > On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:21:44 -0000, polarisdbs <polarisdb@g...>
        wrote:
        > > I reformatted Disk2 on Unslung 1.11 and verified that the backup
        > > failed. I upgraded to Unslung 2.12 and verified that the backup
        > > still failed.
        > >
        > > I then reformatted Disk2 on Unslung 2.12 and have the disk backup
        > > running now. It appears to be working as expected...
        > >
        > > Something in the Unslung 1.11 conf partition just won't coexist
        > > peacefully with the disk-to-disk backup. Fortunately, it looks
        like
        > > that is resolved with Unslung 2.12.
        >
        > I plan to update my firmware tonight. I will try the same steps and
        > see if my experience is the same. Having never done a success
        > disk-to-disk backup I am want to make sure I am doing it properly.
        Are
        > there directions on the wiki ? The backup is started from the
        linksys
        > web interface, correct ?

        Yep, I ran it from the GUI. I only ran the pieces from the command
        line when I was trying to figure out where the problem was. In my
        case:

        # touch /tmp/DriveBackuping
        # /usr/sbin/drive_backup --copy /share/hdd/conf/ /share/flash/conf/
        Segmentation fault
        # echo $?
        139
        # rm -f /tmp/DriveBackuping
      • polarisdbs
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 8, 2004
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "polarisdbs" <polarisdb@g...>
          wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, rwhitby <unslung@g...> wrote:
          > > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:41:46 -0000, doug_knabe <dknabe@a...>
          wrote:
          > > > I can't seem to get the backup from Disk1 to Disk2 function to
          > work.
          > >
          > > Can you please see if the problem still exists in Unslung 2.12-
          > beta ?
          > > Our alpha testers have been unable to reproduce this problem.
          > >
          > > -- Rod
          >
          > I reformatted Disk2 on Unslung 1.11 and verified that the backup
          > failed. I upgraded to Unslung 2.12 and verified that the backup
          > still failed.
          >
          > I then reformatted Disk2 on Unslung 2.12 and have the disk backup
          > running now. It appears to be working as expected...
          >
          > Something in the Unslung 1.11 conf partition just won't coexist
          > peacefully with the disk-to-disk backup. Fortunately, it looks
          like
          > that is resolved with Unslung 2.12.

          Crap, it died on me after running for about 7.5 hours:

          # sh -x drivertodrivercp
          + [ -f /tmp/Scanning ]
          + [ -f /tmp/Upgrading ]
          + [ -f /tmp/Preparing ]
          + [ -f /tmp/Moving ]
          + [ -f /tmp/DriveBackuping ]
          + [ -e /share/hdd/conf/.dongle ]
          + [ -e /share/flash/conf/.dongle ]
          + /bin/cat /share/hdd/conf/.dongle
          + F_HD1=2011413323
          + /bin/cat /share/flash/conf/.dongle
          + F_HD2=2011413323
          + [ 2011413323 != 2011413323 ]
          + /usr/sbin/CheckBackup
          + [ 0 = 1 ]
          + [ 1 = 2 ]
          + [ 1 = 3 ]
          + /usr/sbin/set_log backup 0 3
          Log message successful!
          + touch /tmp/DriveBackuping
          + /usr/sbin/drive_backup --delete /share/hdd/conf/ /share/flash/conf/
          + /usr/sbin/drive_backup --copy /share/hdd/conf/ /share/flash/conf/
          + [ 0 = 0 ]
          + /usr/sbin/drive_backup --delete /share/hdd/data/ /share/flash/data/
          + /usr/sbin/drive_backup --copy /share/hdd/data/ /share/flash/data/
          Segmentation fault
          + [ 139 = 0 ]
          + /usr/sbin/set_log backup 0 13
          Log message successful!
          + rm -f /tmp/DriveBackuping
          + /usr/sbin/CheckDiskFull
        • polarisdbs
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
            wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "polarisdbs" <polarisdb@g...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, rwhitby <unslung@g...> wrote:
            > > work.
            > > >
            > > > Can you please see if the problem still exists in Unslung 2.12-
            > > beta ?
            > > > Our alpha testers have been unable to reproduce this problem.
            > > >
            > > > -- Rod
            > >
            > > I reformatted Disk2 on Unslung 1.11 and verified that the backup
            > > failed. I upgraded to Unslung 2.12 and verified that the backup
            > > still failed.
            > >
            > > I then reformatted Disk2 on Unslung 2.12 and have the disk backup
            > > running now. It appears to be working as expected...
            > >
            > > Something in the Unslung 1.11 conf partition just won't coexist
            > > peacefully with the disk-to-disk backup. Fortunately, it looks
            > like
            > > that is resolved with Unslung 2.12.
            >
            > Crap, it died on me after running for about 7.5 hours:
            >
            > # sh -x drivertodrivercp
            > + [ -f /tmp/Scanning ]
            > + [ -f /tmp/Upgrading ]
            > + [ -f /tmp/Preparing ]
            > + [ -f /tmp/Moving ]
            > + [ -f /tmp/DriveBackuping ]
            > + [ -e /share/hdd/conf/.dongle ]
            > + [ -e /share/flash/conf/.dongle ]
            > + /bin/cat /share/hdd/conf/.dongle
            > + F_HD1=2011413323
            > + /bin/cat /share/flash/conf/.dongle
            > + F_HD2=2011413323
            > + [ 2011413323 != 2011413323 ]
            > + /usr/sbin/CheckBackup
            > + [ 0 = 1 ]
            > + [ 1 = 2 ]
            > + [ 1 = 3 ]
            > + /usr/sbin/set_log backup 0 3
            > Log message successful!
            > + touch /tmp/DriveBackuping
            > + /usr/sbin/drive_backup --
            delete /share/hdd/conf/ /share/flash/conf/
            > + /usr/sbin/drive_backup --copy /share/hdd/conf/ /share/flash/conf/
            > + [ 0 = 0 ]
            > + /usr/sbin/drive_backup --
            delete /share/hdd/data/ /share/flash/data/
            > + /usr/sbin/drive_backup --copy /share/hdd/data/ /share/flash/data/
            > Segmentation fault
            > + [ 139 = 0 ]
            > + /usr/sbin/set_log backup 0 13
            > Log message successful!
            > + rm -f /tmp/DriveBackuping
            > + /usr/sbin/CheckDiskFull

            FWIW, dd'ing the config partition seemed to fix the problem again:

            # dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb2
          • David Ondzes
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
              On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:21:44 -0000, polarisdbs <polarisdb@...> wrote:

              > I reformatted Disk2 on Unslung 1.11 and verified that the backup
              > failed. I upgraded to Unslung 2.12 and verified that the backup
              > still failed.
              >
              > I then reformatted Disk2 on Unslung 2.12 and have the disk backup
              > running now. It appears to be working as expected...
              >
              > Something in the Unslung 1.11 conf partition just won't coexist
              > peacefully with the disk-to-disk backup. Fortunately, it looks like
              > that is resolved with Unslung 2.12.

              I upgraded to 2.12 last night and also had to format disk 2 for the
              backup to work. After enabling the backup in the gui I started the
              backup and it looks like it was successful. I am not sure how to tell
              if did 100% but I did a df and the spaced used on both disks (80
              Maxtor OneTouch) is roughly the same.

              It also did a scheduled backup at 2am, again I am not sure if it made
              it through 100% but I did see the quota file was backed up with a 2am
              time stamp so it did something !
            • wdbeever97
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 13, 2004
                Same problem here:
                -uNSLUng 2.12 Beta,
                -two identical HDD's, in identical enclosures,
                -a few packages running,
                -disk 2 formatted with uNSLUng 2.12,
                -disk 1 to disk 2 backup takes only a second
                -no partitions are actually copied
                -dd'ing conf partition solves the problem
                -next backup works completely

                I was hesitant to dd the conf partition because i had tried to do
                this earlier on my laptop running knoppix. The laptop only has a
                USB1.1 controller, and I was trying to copy one drive to another so I
                could bring my second NSLU home without having to set it all up
                again. I left the sda2 partition dd'ing to sdb2 for about an hour
                and it was still going when I got back. I ctrl-c'd it and it showed
                to have transfered 1.7GB. (I started with the data partition because
                I wasn't sure what I was doing)
                When I used dd on the NSLU it only took a few seconds to do the 120MB
                conf partition. Is there that much difference in USB2.0? Or is the
                NSLU just better at handling that kind of stuff?

                welbo
              • David Ondzes
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 13, 2004
                  On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:33:57 -0000, wdbeever97 <w.beever@...> wrote:

                  > Same problem here:
                  > -uNSLUng 2.12 Beta,
                  > -two identical HDD's, in identical enclosures,
                  > -a few packages running,
                  > -disk 2 formatted with uNSLUng 2.12,
                  > -disk 1 to disk 2 backup takes only a second
                  > -no partitions are actually copied
                  > -dd'ing conf partition solves the problem
                  > -next backup works completely
                  >
                  > I was hesitant to dd the conf partition because i had tried to do
                  > this earlier on my laptop running knoppix. The laptop only has a
                  > USB1.1 controller, and I was trying to copy one drive to another so I
                  > could bring my second NSLU home without having to set it all up
                  > again. I left the sda2 partition dd'ing to sdb2 for about an hour
                  > and it was still going when I got back. I ctrl-c'd it and it showed
                  > to have transfered 1.7GB. (I started with the data partition because
                  > I wasn't sure what I was doing)
                  > When I used dd on the NSLU it only took a few seconds to do the 120MB
                  > conf partition. Is there that much difference in USB2.0? Or is the
                  > NSLU just better at handling that kind of stuff?
                  >
                  > welbo

                  What is the best way to confirm that entire backup has taken place ?
                  Is there a log file for it ?
                • Gerald L. Clark
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 13, 2004
                    > What is the best way to confirm that entire backup has taken place ?
                    > Is there a log file for it ?

                    View logs on the web interface.