Mission: Bittorent on NSLU2 Slug ($50 Reward)

  • normanlwchu
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 15, 2008
      I'm about to throw this Slug out my window. =p

      So after a week of tinkering around with this thing, I've gotten to my
      breaking point. I've installed debian and uNSLUng multiple times and
      all I've gotten are headaches.

      <b>Objective:</b> To use the Slug as a bittorent downloader that can
      be left on without a computer being turned on.

      <b>Situation:</b> A complete Linux n00b. I am a Windows point and
      click person. The Slug is perfectly uNSLUng as far as I know. I
      installed Transmission although it won't download any torrents because
      I have <b>no clue what the download path to my Hard Drive on Port 1
      is.</b> -from my research it has something to do with <i>/dev/sdb1
      I put into my Transmission "Download to" textbox in the Clutch interface.

      Debian never got passed Installing Base System. It kept giving corrupt
      files or chroot or (something to that extent) errors at 33%. I gave up
      on that.

      <b>Equipment:</b> Slug (running at 266 MHz), Sandisk 1GB Cruzer is
      currently holding uNSLUng 6.10 attached to Port 2, Port 1 has a
      Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 TB drive (it was formatted to ext3 but it never
      completed, so it's NTFS for now. It took 7.5 hours formatting to ext
      in Paragon Partition Manager then stopped at creating the journal
      file. The Slug's Web UI goes OOM on me formatting the 1TB beast)

      <b>Reward:</b> If you can help me get the Slug to do this ONE task:
      download torrents in a stable fashion then $50 via Paypal is yours for
      your time. I need to be baby walked step-by-step through this thing. =]
    • Gordon Farquharson
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 15, 2008
        On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 17:23, normanlwchu <thegongfumaster@...> wrote:

        > Debian never got passed Installing Base System. It kept giving corrupt
        > files or chroot or (something to that extent) errors at 33%. I gave up
        > on that.

        Which Debian Installer image were you using? Also, which mirror did
        you select during installation?

        It would be great if you could try the installer again, and when it
        fails do the following:

        1. open another ssh session to the NSLU2 with the same user name and
        password (installer, install) (use a different ssh terminal than the
        installer terminal - you can ssh to the NSLU2 multiple times)

        2. You should see a menu like the one below (this is from the lenny
        RC1 installer - it may be different for the etch installer):

        Network console option:

        Start installer
        Start installer (expert mode)
        Start shell

        Select "Start shell" and then "Continue".

        3. cat /var/log/syslog

        Post the last part of the log to this list (look for obvious error messages).

        Gordon

        --
        Gordon Farquharson
        GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 16, 2008
          On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 00:23 +0000, normanlwchu wrote:

          > <b>Equipment:</b> Slug (running at 266 MHz), Sandisk 1GB Cruzer is
          > currently holding uNSLUng 6.10 attached to Port 2, Port 1 has a
          > Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 TB drive (it was formatted to ext3 but it never
          > completed,

          1) It's much easer to use one disk.
          2) The maxium supported disk size by linksys is 250 GB.
          Bigger file systems are possible but the slug has only
          32 mb of memory so checking and creating the filesystem
          is a problem because that requires more memory.

          > so it's NTFS for now.

          The ntfs support is very buggy. The slug probable is going
          to hang when writing to that disk.

          > The Slug's Web UI goes OOM on me formatting the 1TB beast

          Probably problems with the memory requirements.

          > <b>Reward:</b> If you can help me get the Slug to do this ONE task:
          > download torrents in a stable fashion then $50 via Paypal is yours for
          > your time. I need to be baby walked step-by-step through this thing. =]

          1) Use only the hard disk on port 2
          2) Create the following partition table (manual):
          1 250 GB Ext3
          2 50 MB Ext3
          3 100 MB Swap
          4 750 GB Extended
          5 250 GB Ext3
          6 250 GB Ext3
          7 250 GB Ext3
          3) Create filesystems on partitions 1, 2 and swap on 3
          4) Copy the files from partition 1 from the flash to partition 1 of
          the disk.
          Copy the files from partition 2 from the flash to partition 2 of
          the disk.
          5) Boot from the disk
          6) Create filesystems on partition 5, 6 and 7 and create a
          diversion script to mount those filesystems.

          You can boot from the flash and change the filesystems on
          the disk.

          --
          Marcel Nijenhof
          Optware package developer
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 16, 2008
            Hi there, i don't know what stage you are up to with this but i also
            have a similar setup where i use a usb stick on port two, a usb hard
            drive on port 1, all of it running unslung. There are good guides on
            the setting up of the NSLU to this stage -
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage

            So if you do have that running successfully, then you can maybe do
            what i did, documented here -
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ConfigureRtorrentWithUnslung

            If you need further help with following this process then i am more
            than happy to help. i am more used to using windows systems and have
            found linux to be baffling and somewhat abstract, so any help i can
            give won't be terribly technical but should be understandable to get
            you up and running. FYI i have been using rtorrent on the slug for
            nearly 2 years now using unslung, i did try debian cos i thought it
            would get me a better torrent client but found that it wasnt necessary
            as rtorrent is a great client.
            good luck, dont give up, the nslu is a great device and the support
            offered by the community is excellent.
            Kaputnik.

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "normanlwchu"
            <thegongfumaster@...> wrote:

            > I'm about to throw this Slug out my window. =p
            >
            > So after a week of tinkering around with this thing, I've gotten to my
            > breaking point. I've installed debian and uNSLUng multiple times and
            > all I've gotten are headaches.
            >
            > <b>Objective:</b> To use the Slug as a bittorent downloader that can
            > be left on without a computer being turned on.
            >
            > <b>Situation:</b> A complete Linux n00b. I am a Windows point and
            > click person. The Slug is perfectly uNSLUng as far as I know. I
            > installed Transmission although it won't download any torrents because
            > I have <b>no clue what the download path to my Hard Drive on Port 1
            > is.</b> -from my research it has something to do with <i>/dev/sdb1
            > I put into my Transmission "Download to" textbox in the Clutch
            interface.

            > Debian never got passed Installing Base System. It kept giving corrupt
            > files or chroot or (something to that extent) errors at 33%. I gave up
            > on that.
            >
            > <b>Equipment:</b> Slug (running at 266 MHz), Sandisk 1GB Cruzer is
            > currently holding uNSLUng 6.10 attached to Port 2, Port 1 has a
            > Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 TB drive (it was formatted to ext3 but it never
            > completed, so it's NTFS for now. It took 7.5 hours formatting to ext
            > in Paragon Partition Manager then stopped at creating the journal
            > file. The Slug's Web UI goes OOM on me formatting the 1TB beast)
            >
            > <b>Reward:</b> If you can help me get the Slug to do this ONE task:
            > download torrents in a stable fashion then $50 via Paypal is yours for
            > your time. I need to be baby walked step-by-step through this thing. =]

          • Lucas Mullikin
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 16, 2008
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "normanlwchu" <thegongfumaster@...> wrote:

              > I'm about to throw this Slug out my window. =p
              >
              > So after a week of tinkering around with this thing, I've gotten to my
              > breaking point. I've installed debian and uNSLUng multiple times and
              > all I've gotten are headaches.
              >
              > <b>Objective:</b> To use the Slug as a bittorent downloader that can
              > be left on without a computer being turned on.
              >
              > <b>Situation:</b> A complete Linux n00b. I am a Windows point and
              > click person. The Slug is perfectly uNSLUng as far as I know. I
              > installed Transmission although it won't download any torrents because
              > I have <b>no clue what the download path to my Hard Drive on Port 1
              > is.</b> -from my research it has something to do with <i>/dev/sdb1
              > I put into my Transmission "Download to" textbox in the Clutch interface.
              >
              > Debian never got passed Installing Base System. It kept giving corrupt
              > files or chroot or (something to that extent) errors at 33%. I gave up
              > on that.
              >
              > <b>Equipment:</b> Slug (running at 266 MHz), Sandisk 1GB Cruzer is
              > currently holding uNSLUng 6.10 attached to Port 2, Port 1 has a
              > Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 TB drive (it was formatted to ext3 but it never
              > completed, so it's NTFS for now. It took 7.5 hours formatting to ext
              > in Paragon Partition Manager then stopped at creating the journal
              > file. The Slug's Web UI goes OOM on me formatting the 1TB beast)
              >
              > <b>Reward:</b> If you can help me get the Slug to do this ONE task:
              > download torrents in a stable fashion then $50 via Paypal is yours for
              > your time. I need to be baby walked step-by-step through this thing. =]

              I will be able to walk you through an easy and successful setup over instant messages.
              When would be good for you?
            • Gordon Farquharson
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 16, 2008
                On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 17:23, normanlwchu <thegongfumaster@...> wrote:

                > <b>Reward:</b> If you can help me get the Slug to do this ONE task:
                > download torrents in a stable fashion then $50 via Paypal is yours for
                > your time. I need to be baby walked step-by-step through this thing. =]

                Rather donate the $50 to the NSLU2-Linux Project:

                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/DonationList

                Gordon

                --
                Gordon Farquharson
                GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 17, 2008
                  I appreciate all the help. I'll take time to read them and digest it.
                  I'll report back on my results.

                  Here's what I did so far:

                  1. Slug is connected to Ethernet port 2 on a Linksys WRTGSv4 wireless
                  router. Nothing is attached to the USB ports on the SLug.

                  2. Using Sercomm Upgrade Utility in WIndows XP, debian-armel-5.0rc1 is
                  flashed into the Slug. Verifying Target goes to 100% and an "Upgrade
                  Successful" pop-up appears. The Slug now appears to reboot. The leds
                  go off and back on. Only the Ethernet gree led stays on.

                  3. Three beeps are heard. Only the green Ethernet led remains on. The
                  rest are off. If I ping 192.168.1.77 in the Windows Command Prompt, I
                  do get a reply. Isn't the Ready led suppose to be lit?

                  4. The 1GB Sandisk Cruzer is plugged in now.

                  5. Using PuTTy SSH, I log into 192.168.1.77.

                  6. Select Start Installer

                  7. Mirror: United States, ftp.us.debian.org

                  8. Proxy left blank. Continue.

                  9. No Installer Components are selected. Continue.

                  10. Installer retrieves stuff which proves the internet works.

                  11. Language: North America > Canada > Pacific

                  12. Partman: selected "Guided - Use Entire Disk"

                  13. Partitioning Scheme: All files in one partition

                  14.
                  > #1 primary 131.6 MB B F ext2 /boot
                  > #2 primary 633.3 MB F ext3 /
                  > #5 logical 255.0 MB F swap swap

                  15. Installer stops during "Installing the base system"

                  - sometimes It will hang at 31% Installing Core Packages
                  - gives me a debootstrap error at the beginning before downloading
                  anything.

                  Here's the log:

                  Nov 18 01:54:37 debconf: Setting debconf/language to en
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (libc6-udeb): package
                  doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (libc6): package
                  doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package
                  doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (localechooser):
                  package doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 main-menu[1390]: INFO: Menu item 'kbd-chooser' selected
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 main-menu[1390]: INFO: Falling back to the package
                  description for console-keymaps-at
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 main-menu[1390]: INFO: Falling back to the package
                  description for console-keymaps-at
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 kbd-chooser[1415]: DEBUG: Mounting usbdevfs to look
                  for kbd
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 kbd-chooser[1415]: DEBUG: Parsing /proc/bus/usb/devices
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 kbd-chooser[1415]: DEBUG: Adding generic entry for AT
                  keymaps
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 kbd-chooser[1415]: INFO: keyboard type at: present: false
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 kbd-chooser[1415]: INFO: keyboard type at: present:
                  unknown
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 kbd-chooser[1415]: INFO: Setting
                  debian-installer/serial-console to true
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 kbd-chooser[1415]: INFO: Setting
                  debian-installer/uml-console to false
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 kbd-chooser[1415]: INFO: kbd-chooser: arch no-keyboard
                  selected
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 kbd-chooser[1415]: INFO: kbd-chooser: not setting keymap
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (libc6-udeb): package
                  doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (libc6): package
                  doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package
                  doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (localechooser):
                  package doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:38 main-menu[1390]: INFO: Menu item 'ethdetect' selected
                  Nov 18 01:54:42 net/hw-detect.hotplug: Detected hotpluggable network
                  interface lo
                  Nov 18 01:54:41 net/hw-detect.hotplug: Detected hotpluggable network
                  interface eth0
                  Nov 18 01:54:43 apt-install: Queueing package udev for later installation
                  Nov 18 01:54:44 apt-install: Queueing package usbutils for later
                  installation
                  Nov 18 01:54:47 hw-detect: Missing modules 'usb-storage (USB storage)
                  Nov 18 01:54:48 check-missing-firmware: no missing firmware in
                  /tmp/missing-firmware
                  Nov 18 01:54:50 net/hw-detect.hotplug: Detected hotpluggable network
                  interface eth0
                  Nov 18 01:54:50 net/hw-detect.hotplug: Detected hotpluggable network
                  interface lo
                  Nov 18 01:54:52 kernel: [42949409.830000] firmware: requesting NPE-B
                  Nov 18 01:54:52 kernel: [42949409.880000] NPE-B: firmware
                  functionality 0x0, revision 0x2:1
                  Nov 18 01:54:52 kernel: [42949409.880000] eth0: link down
                  Nov 18 01:54:53 check-missing-firmware: no missing firmware in
                  /tmp/missing-firmware
                  Nov 18 01:54:53 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (libc6-udeb): package
                  doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:53 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (libc6): package
                  doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:53 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package
                  doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:53 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (localechooser):
                  package doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:53 main-menu[1390]: INFO: Menu item 'netcfg' selected
                  Nov 18 01:54:54 kernel: [42949411.660000] eth0: link down
                  Nov 18 01:54:54 netcfg[2426]: INFO: executing: ip addr add
                  192.168.1.77/24 broadcast 192.168.1.255 dev eth0
                  Nov 18 01:54:57 kernel: [42949414.660000] eth0: link up, 100Mbps,
                  full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
                  Nov 18 01:54:59 netcfg[2426]: INFO: Detected eth0 as a hotpluggable device
                  Nov 18 01:54:59 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (libc6-udeb): package
                  doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:59 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (libc6): package
                  doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:59 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package
                  doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:59 main-menu[1390]: DEBUG: resolver (localechooser):
                  package doesn't exist (ignored)
                  Nov 18 01:54:59 main-menu[1390]: INFO: Falling back to the package
                  description for auto-install
                  Nov 18 01:54:59 main-menu[1390]: INFO: Menu item 'network-console'
                  selected
                  Nov 18 01:55:11 sshd[2484]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
                  Nov 18 01:55:12 apt-install: Queueing package openssh-server for later
                  installation
                  Nov 18 01:55:17 sshd[2504]: WARNING: /etc/ssh/moduli does not exist,
                  using fixed modulus
                  Nov 18 01:55:39 sshd[2504]: Accepted password for installer from
                  192.168.1.79 port 3951 ssh2
                  Nov 18 01:55:39 sshd[2507]: lastlog_filetype: Couldn't stat
                  /var/log/lastlog: No such file or directory
                  Nov 18 01:55:39 sshd[2507]: lastlog_openseek: /var/log/lastlog is not
                  a file or directory!
                  Nov 18 01:55:39 sshd[2507]: lastlog_filetype: Couldn't stat
                  /var/log/lastlog: No such file or directory
                  Nov 18 01:55:39 sshd[2507]: lastlog_openseek: /var/log/lastlog is not
                  a file or directory!
                  Nov 18 01:55:39 debconf: Setting debconf/language to en
                  Nov 18 01:59:01 sshd[2504]: syslogin_perform_logout: logout() returned
                  an error
                  Nov 18 01:59:09 sshd[2530]: WARNING: /etc/ssh/moduli does not exist,
                  using fixed modulus
                  Nov 18 01:59:15 sshd[2530]: Accepted password for installer from
                  192.168.1.79 port 3952 ssh2
                  Nov 18 01:59:15 sshd[2533]: lastlog_filetype: Couldn't stat
                  /var/log/lastlog: No such file or directory
                  Nov 18 01:59:15 sshd[2533]: lastlog_openseek: /var/log/lastlog is not
                  a file or directory!
                  Nov 18 01:59:15 sshd[2533]: lastlog_filetype: Couldn't stat
                  /var/log/lastlog: No such file or directory
                  Nov 18 01:59:15 sshd[2533]: lastlog_openseek: /var/log/lastlog is not
                  a file or directory!
                  Nov 18 01:59:16 debconf: Setting debconf/language to en
                • Martin Michlmayr
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 17, 2008
                    * normanlwchu <thegongfumaster@...> [2008-11-17 10:02]:
                    > 3. Three beeps are heard. Only the green Ethernet led remains on. The
                    > rest are off. If I ping 192.168.1.77 in the Windows Command Prompt, I
                    > do get a reply. Isn't the Ready led suppose to be lit?

                    The installer currently doesn't do anything with the LEDs on the
                    NSLU2. It probably should, though. I'll look into this. Thanks for
                    your comment.

                    > 15. Installer stops during "Installing the base system"
                    >
                    > - sometimes It will hang at 31% Installing Core Packages
                    > - gives me a debootstrap error at the beginning before downloading
                    > anything.
                    >
                    > Here's the log:

                    I don't see anything wrong in this log. In fact, I don't even see
                    anything about debootstrap, so it sounds like the important part of
                    the log is missing. (Maybe I'm just blind, though :)

                    --
                    Martin Michlmayr
                    http://www.cyrius.com/
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 17, 2008
                      Here's the log file when installer gave an error:

                      BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 1:1.10.2-2) built-in shell (ash)
                      Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

                      ~ # cat /var/log/syslog
                      Log file truncated to save memory.
                      Nov 18 12:07:52 init: init: process '/usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/syslog'
                      (pid 1383 ) exited. Scheduling for restart.
                      Nov 18 12:07:52 init: init: starting pid 4227, tty '/dev/tty4':
                      '/usr/bin/tail - f /var/log/syslog'
                      Nov 18 12:07:52 main-menu[2519]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package
                      doesn't exis t (ignored)
                      Nov 18 12:07:52 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Falling back to the package
                      description f or auto-install
                      Nov 18 12:07:52 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Falling back to the package
                      description f or ai-choosers
                      Nov 18 12:07:52 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Menu item 'clock-setup' selected
                      Nov 18 12:07:53 kernel: [42949685.130000] warning: process `rdate'
                      used the depr ecated sysctl system call with 1.40.
                      Nov 17 20:10:14 clock-setup: Mon Nov 17 20:10:14 UTC 2008
                      Nov 17 20:10:14 clock-setup: rdate: adjust local clock by
                      -57459.363573 seconds
                      Nov 17 20:10:18 main-menu[2519]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package
                      doesn't exis t (ignored)
                      Nov 17 20:10:18 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Falling back to the package
                      description f or auto-install
                      Nov 17 20:10:18 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Falling back to the package
                      description f or ai-choosers
                      Nov 17 20:10:18 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Menu item 'disk-detect' selected
                      Nov 17 20:10:21 net/hw-detect.hotplug: Detected hotpluggable network
                      interface l o
                      Nov 17 20:10:21 net/hw-detect.hotplug: Detected hotpluggable network
                      interface e th0
                      Nov 17 20:10:23 kernel: [42949693.840000] SCSI subsystem initialized
                      Nov 17 20:10:23 kernel: [42949693.940000] Initializing USB Mass
                      Storage driver.. .
                      Nov 17 20:10:23 kernel: [42949693.950000] scsi0 : SCSI emulation for
                      USB Mass St orage devices
                      Nov 17 20:10:23 kernel: [42949693.950000] usbcore: registered new
                      interface driv er usb-storage
                      Nov 17 20:10:23 kernel: [42949693.950000] USB Mass Storage support
                      registered.
                      Nov 17 20:10:23 kernel: [42949693.950000] usb-storage: device found at 2
                      Nov 17 20:10:23 kernel: [42949693.950000] usb-storage: waiting for
                      device to set tle before scanning
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949698.950000] usb-storage: device scan
                      complete
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949698.950000] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access
                      SanDis k Cruzer Micro 0.1 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949699.070000] Driver 'sd' needs updating -
                      please us e bus_type methods
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 check-missing-firmware: no missing firmware in
                      /tmp/missing-firm ware
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949699.130000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 2001888
                      512-byte har dware sectors (1025 MB)
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949699.130000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write
                      Protect is off
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949699.130000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode
                      Sense: 03 00 00 00
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949699.130000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming
                      drive cache : write through
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949699.140000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 2001888
                      512-byte har dware sectors (1025 MB)
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949699.140000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write
                      Protect is off
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949699.140000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode
                      Sense: 03 00 00 00
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949699.140000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming
                      drive cache : write through
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949699.140000] sda:
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: sda1 sda2 sda3 <
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: sda5 >
                      Nov 17 20:10:28 kernel: [42949699.160000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached
                      SCSI remova ble disk
                      Nov 17 20:10:32 net/hw-detect.hotplug: Detected hotpluggable network
                      interface e th0
                      Nov 17 20:10:32 net/hw-detect.hotplug: Detected hotpluggable network
                      interface l o
                      Nov 17 20:10:34 check-missing-firmware: no missing firmware in
                      /tmp/missing-firm ware
                      Nov 17 20:10:34 main-menu[2519]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package
                      doesn't exis t (ignored)
                      Nov 17 20:10:35 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Falling back to the package
                      description f or auto-install
                      Nov 17 20:10:35 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Falling back to the package
                      description f or ai-choosers
                      Nov 17 20:10:35 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Menu item 'partman-base' selected
                      Nov 17 20:10:35 anna-install: Installing partman-auto-lvm
                      Nov 17 20:10:38 net-retriever: gpgv:
                      Nov 17 20:10:38 net-retriever: Signature made Mon Nov 17 08:57:17 2008
                      UTC using DSA key ID 6070D3A1
                      Nov 17 20:10:38 net-retriever: gpgv:
                      Nov 17 20:10:38 net-retriever: Good signature from "Debian Archive
                      Automatic Sig ning Key (4.0/etch)
                      <ftpmaster@...>"
                      Nov 17 20:10:38 net-retriever:
                      Nov 17 20:10:41 anna[5371]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't
                      exist (ig nored)
                      Nov 17 20:10:41 anna[5371]: DEBUG: retrieving lvm2-udeb 2.02.39-2
                      Nov 17 20:10:44 anna[5371]: DEBUG: retrieving
                      md-modules-2.6.26-1-ixp4xx-di 1.27
                      Nov 17 20:10:47 anna[5371]: DEBUG: retrieving partman-auto-lvm 30
                      Nov 17 20:10:49 anna[5371]: DEBUG: retrieving partman-lvm 65
                      Nov 17 20:10:52 partman: Insufficient free memory to load crypto support
                      Nov 17 20:10:55 kernel: [42949725.900000] device-mapper: uevent:
                      version 1.0.3
                      Nov 17 20:10:55 kernel: [42949725.910000] device-mapper: ioctl:
                      4.13.0-ioctl (20 07-10-18) initialised:
                      dm-devel@...
                      Nov 17 20:10:55 partman: No matching physical volumes found
                      Nov 17 20:10:55 partman: Reading all physical volumes. This may
                      take a while. ..
                      Nov 17 20:12:03 net/hw-detect.hotplug: Detected hotpluggable network
                      interface e th0
                      Nov 17 20:12:03 net/hw-detect.hotplug: Detected hotpluggable network
                      interface l o
                      Nov 17 20:12:05 kernel: [42949795.980000] Adding 248968k swap on
                      /dev/sda5. Pri ority:-1 extents:1 across:248968k
                      Nov 17 20:12:09 partman: mke2fs 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
                      Nov 17 20:12:16 kernel: [42949807.530000] kjournald starting. Commit
                      interval 5 seconds
                      Nov 17 20:12:16 kernel: [42949807.540000] EXT3 FS on sda2, internal
                      journal
                      Nov 17 20:12:16 kernel: [42949807.540000] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem
                      with order ed data mode.
                      Nov 17 20:12:21 apt-install: Queueing package e2fsprogs for later
                      installation
                      Nov 17 20:12:21 main-menu[2519]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package
                      doesn't exis t (ignored)
                      Nov 17 20:12:22 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Falling back to the package
                      description f or auto-install
                      Nov 17 20:12:22 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Falling back to the package
                      description f or ai-choosers
                      Nov 17 20:12:22 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Menu item 'bootstrap-base' selected
                      Nov 17 20:12:26 debootstrap: gpgv:
                      Nov 17 20:12:26 debootstrap: Signature made Mon Nov 17 08:57:17 2008
                      UTC using D SA key ID 6070D3A1
                      Nov 17 20:12:26 debootstrap: gpgv:
                      Nov 17 20:12:26 debootstrap: Good signature from "Debian Archive
                      Automatic Signi ng Key (4.0/etch)
                      <ftpmaster@...>"
                      Nov 17 20:12:26 debootstrap:
                      Nov 17 20:22:25 debootstrap: Selecting previously deselected package
                      base-files.
                      Nov 17 20:22:25 debootstrap: (Reading database ... 0 files and
                      directories curre ntly installed.)
                      Nov 17 20:22:25 debootstrap: Unpacking base-files (from
                      .../base-files_4.0.5_arm el.deb) ...
                      Nov 17 20:22:25 debootstrap: dpkg: regarding
                      .../base-files_4.0.5_armel.deb cont aining
                      base-files, pre-dependency problem:
                      Nov 17 20:22:25 debootstrap: base-files pre-depends on awk
                      Nov 17 20:22:25 debootstrap: awk is not installed.
                      Nov 17 20:22:25 debootstrap: dpkg: warning - ignoring pre-dependency
                      problem !
                      Nov 17 20:22:27 debootstrap: Selecting previously deselected package
                      base-passwd .
                      Nov 17 20:22:27 debootstrap: Unpacking base-passwd (from
                      .../base-passwd_3.5.19_ armel.deb) ...
                      Nov 17 20:22:27 debootstrap: Segmentation fault
                      Nov 17 20:22:41 base-installer: error: exiting on error
                      base-installer/debootstr ap-failed
                      Nov 17 20:22:46 main-menu[2519]: WARNING **: Configuring
                      'bootstrap-base' failed with error code 1
                      Nov 17 20:22:46 main-menu[2519]: WARNING **: Menu item
                      'bootstrap-base' failed.
                      Nov 17 20:22:48 main-menu[2519]: INFO: Modifying debconf priority
                      limit from 'hi gh' to 'medium'
                      Nov 17 20:22:48 debconf: Setting debconf/priority to medium
                      Nov 17 20:22:48 main-menu[2519]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package
                      doesn't exis t (ignored)
                      Nov 17 20:23:04 sshd[11515]: WARNING: /etc/ssh/moduli does not exist,
                      using fixe d modulus
                      Nov 17 20:23:12 sshd[11515]: Accepted password for installer from
                      192.168.1.79 p ort 1156 ssh2
                      Nov 17 20:23:12 sshd[11518]: lastlog_filetype: Couldn't stat
                      /var/log/lastlog: N o such file or directory
                      Nov 17 20:23:12 sshd[11518]: lastlog_openseek: /var/log/lastlog is not
                      a file or directory!
                      Nov 17 20:23:12 sshd[11518]: lastlog_filetype: Couldn't stat
                      /var/log/lastlog: N o such file or directory
                      Nov 17 20:23:12 sshd[11518]: lastlog_openseek: /var/log/lastlog is not
                      a file or directory!
                      Nov 17 20:23:12 debconf: Setting debconf/language to en
                    • normanlwchu
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 17, 2008
                        "FYI i have been using rtorrent on the slug for nearly 2 years now
                        using unslung,"

                        That would a solution I could use? Are you using a hard drive or USB
                        flash drive or both?

                        What I can do so far is uNSLUng the Slug to a USB flash drive and
                        install Transmission 1.40. After that I have no clue what to do. The
                        instructions given on all the sites I've perused are over my head.

                        Problems I've run into are: when I actually do get Transmission WebUI
                        (cluth?) running I can upload a torrent file and it will reply with
                        "No such file or directory." What's the path to USB port 1 where my
                        HDD is located?
                      • Martin Michlmayr
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 17, 2008
                          * normanlwchu <thegongfumaster@...> [2008-11-17 20:28]:
                          > Here's the log file when installer gave an error:

                          Okay, I see an error now. Are you sure that you're NSLU2 is working
                          properly? The error in the logs looks more like a hardware related
                          problem to me (although it could of course be a bug somewhere in
                          Debian).

                          --
                          Martin Michlmayr
                          http://www.cyrius.com/
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 17, 2008
                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                            > * normanlwchu <thegongfumaster@...> [2008-11-17 20:28]:
                            > > Here's the log file when installer gave an error:
                            >
                            > Okay, I see an error now. Are you sure that you're NSLU2 is working
                            > properly? The error in the logs looks more like a hardware related
                            > problem to me (although it could of course be a bug somewhere in
                            > Debian).
                            >
                            > --
                            > Martin Michlmayr
                            > http://www.cyrius.com/

                            No I am not sure it's working properly. The Slug hasn't been exactly
                            co-operative with me since I got it. It only sometimes boots with the
                            original firmware (v63 or v76), uNSLUng, debian (never installed
                            fully) or SlugOSbe firmware uploaded.
                          • janne5011
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 17, 2008
                              I can see myself having the same trouble finding out the right path=)

                              heres one way:

                              type : df
                              look and then type "cd" to the path you see given from the df
                              command.
                              to see what folders you have in a directory type ls.
                              to move to a directory you can see in a folder type cd folder
                              to move to a directory in a directory type: cd /folder1/folder2

                              example cd /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/movies will work.

                              in this way you can make sure you put in the right path as a start.
                              and give the 50$ to the community;)

                              > I have <b>no clue what the download path to my Hard Drive on Port 1
                              > is.</b> -from my research it has something to do with <i>/dev/sdb1
                              path
                              > I put into my Transmission "Download to" textbox in the Clutch
                              interface.

                            • kaputnikgo
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 18, 2008
                                hi there, i decided to stick to unslung because it was easier to
                                install and get my head around (ie theres a web server already
                                configured and running on the nslu).

                                i followed the instruction on the nslu website about unslinging to a
                                usb flash drive on port 2, this drive is just for the os. and i also
                                have a usb hard drive on port one that is used for the torrent watch
                                directory and for the files uploaded/downloaded, think its 80gb.

                                i installed rtorrent cos it was light on resources and could do what i
                                wanted which was for me to be able to copy a torrent file to the nslu
                                watch directory and have it automatically download. i also wanted a
                                web interface so i could check on the progress without having to log
                                into the nslu.

                                The watch directory and the torrent file directory are all located
                                /share/flash/data/sdb/myusername/
                                which means that the flash device (my usb flash drive with the os on
                                it) has mounted the usb hard drive in a folder located at
                                data/sdb/myusername/

                                yeah, kinda obscure when youre used to windows gui and not command
                                line. but there are howtos on the nslu site. again, this is applicable
                                for unslung, so if you want to go down this path, its well documented
                                and i can help you through the steps if you need, maybe thru IM would
                                be easier.
                                good luck,

                                <thegongfumaster@...> wrote:

                                > "FYI i have been using rtorrent on the slug for nearly 2 years now
                                > using unslung,"
                                >
                                > That would a solution I could use? Are you using a hard drive or USB
                                > flash drive or both?
                                >
                                > What I can do so far is uNSLUng the Slug to a USB flash drive and
                                > install Transmission 1.40. After that I have no clue what to do. The
                                > instructions given on all the sites I've perused are over my head.
                                >
                                > Problems I've run into are: when I actually do get Transmission WebUI
                                > (cluth?) running I can upload a torrent file and it will reply with
                                > "No such file or directory." What's the path to USB port 1 where my
                                > HDD is located?

                              • normanlwchu
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 19, 2008
                                  Just an update:

                                  I've managed to install Etch on my hard drive partitioned as Marcel pointed out and following Martin's instructions on tar balling.\

                                  I can't install anything via apt-get because I keep getting "Segmentation Fault" or "Segmentation Faulty Tree" errors each time I try to apt-get ntpdate, rtorrent, update, or any other package.

                                  I've tried rm /var/cache/apt/*.bin and apt-get update to no avail.

                                  So close, yet so far away!!!
                                • Martin Michlmayr
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 19, 2008
                                    * normanlwchu <thegongfumaster@...> [2008-11-19 10:52]:
                                    > I can't install anything via apt-get because I keep getting
                                    > "Segmentation Fault" or "Segmentation Faulty Tree" errors each time I
                                    > try to apt-get ntpdate, rtorrent, update, or any other package.

                                    I think your NSLU2 has hardware problems. I'd invest your $50 in a
                                    new one...

                                    --
                                    Martin Michlmayr
                                    http://www.cyrius.com/
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 19, 2008

                                      I've experienced the same problem with a defect USB memory stick. Replacing the stick with a HDD solved it for me!

                                    • nslu2@pion.xs4all.nl
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 19, 2008
                                        On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:00:58PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

                                        > I think your NSLU2 has hardware problems. I'd invest your $50 in a
                                        > new one...

                                        Optware contains a "memtest" utility.

                                        Maybe you can use it to test parts of the memory.

                                        --
                                        marceln
                                      • normanlwchu
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 20, 2008
                                          Well, case closed guys.

                                          After a week, this projects gotten fruitless. It might be a hardware
                                          problem, but I am not risking spending more cash on another Slug.
                                          Instead I'll look forward to building a dedicated low power torrent
                                          box with my newfound Linux knowledge. =]

                                          I appreciate all the help. Thank-you.