New version of Unslung in development

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
      There is a new version of Unslung in development, but don't get too
      excited, cause there are not many changes planned:

      1) Import the two minor patches from the Linksys R76 kernel source.
      2) Add the Apex second-stage bootloader.
      3) Add support for FatSlugs and ObeseSlugs (16MiB flash).
      4) Update any Linksys proprietary binaries that have changed in R76.
      5) Possibly release an additional 'console-only' image
      (I personally need this for a USB device that only works reliably
      with the 2.4.x kernel and not on SlugOS).
      6) Move development to SVN and isolate it from OpenEmbedded changes.

      If there are any critical bug-fixes that are absolutely required to go
      in (and I do mean verified bug-fixes, not wishlist items or things that
      don't work only for a single person some of the time), then now is the
      time to identify them on the nslu2-developers mailing list.

      If your current Unslung 6.10 installation is working fine, there will be
      absolutely no reason to upgrade. There will be no feature additions.

      You can follow the development at http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/unslung

      Release time-frame is not defined yet. Perhaps by the end of the year
      if I get some spare time to work on it. More likely sometime next year.

      -- Rod
    • Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
        Hi Rod,

        Excellent!

        Please use a recent version of APEX and if possible a version which include the memtest.
        I guess there is a version including a memory test in it.
        This will help greatly the Fastsluggers!... ;-))

        Best regards
        pf, F5BQP
        (Pierre-François)

[...]

        __________ Information NOD32 3601 (20081110) __________

        Ce message a ete verifie par NOD32 Antivirus System.
        http://www.nod32.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2008
          Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm) wrote:
          > Please use a recent version of APEX and if possible a version which
          > include the memtest.

          I'm using 1.5.13 at the moment, and it includes the memtest command.

          > I guess there is a version including a memory test in it.
          > This will help greatly the Fastsluggers!... ;-))

          I've set it up to automatically run 'sdr-init ; memscan -u 0+64M'.

          Note that the unslung kernel currently cannot use more than 64MiB of memory.

          My test system has 16MiB of flash and 256MiB of ram, but I'm only using
          64MiB of ram.

          -- Rod
        • Rudy
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2008
            Hey Rod,

            Excellent, thanks for working on this. I would be another user of
            your console-only version should you decide to put that feature in...

            Thanks!
            Rudy

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
              Hi Rod,

              Could you tell me where you are in the new version of Unslug supporting Apex as second bootloader, FatSlugs and ObeseSlugs?

              Many thanks and best wishes for the new year to all the group.

              pf