Re: [nslu2-linux] USB Serial with uNSLUng 6.10

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2008
      jl.050877@... wrote:
      > On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:26:48AM -0700, Brian Stiff wrote:
      >> Hi, I'm having no luck getting a handful of different USB Serial adapters working with uNSLUng 6.10 on an NSLU2. Two of the usb-serial adapters that I'm trying are pl2303-based, so I'm imagining that they should be workable. For all I can tell, I should need to install at least kernel-module-usbserial, and likely other kernel modules specific to the serial dongle. However, "ipkg list" does not indicate the usbserial, pl2303, or other usb serial kernel modules as being available. I've not been able to find any indication that support has been deprecated or moved into the kernel. Could someone please offer some insight or assistance for my miss-steps or incorrect assumptions?
      >
      > Unslung is weak on hardware support. (Unslung's strength is
      > Linksys compatibility.)

      Yes, but common things like USB serial adaptors are definitely supported.

      The feeds seem to be unhappy at the moment; the package index is broken.
      Until that's fixed, just use the ipkgfind search engine to find and
      download the two modules you need, and do an "ipkg install ./<filname>"
      to install them.

      Here's the URL to the search results for the usbserial module:
      http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.phtml?package=kernel-module-usbserial&id=27131831&official=

      And this one is the pl2303 driver you'll need as well:
      http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.phtml?package=kernel-module-pl2303&id=27131676&official=

      Mike (mwester)
    • Brian Stiff
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 15, 2008
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

        > jl.050877@... wrote:
        >

        > > Unslung is weak on hardware support. (Unslung's strength is
        > > Linksys compatibility.)
        >
        > Yes, but common things like USB serial adaptors are definitely
        supported.

        > The feeds seem to be unhappy at the moment; the package index is broken.
        > Until that's fixed, just use the ipkgfind search engine to find and
        > download the two modules you need, and do an "ipkg install ./<filname>"
        > to install them.
        >
        > Here's the URL to the search results for the usbserial module:

        http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.phtml?package=kernel-module-usbserial&id=27131831&official=

        > And this one is the pl2303 driver you'll need as well:

        http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.phtml?package=kernel-module-pl2303&id=27131676&official=

        > Mike (mwester)

        Thanks for your help. The packages at the links you provided install
        better than those I found/tried yesterday. I'll go through the
        adapters when I get home and see which work.