Re: [nslu2-linux] newbie questions

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
      James Fidell wrote:
      > Rod Whitby wrote:
      >> James Fidell wrote:
      >>> Firstly, my intention is to use the unit to run some perl daemons
      >>> reading data off one of the USB ports and transferring it to a server
      >>> elsewhere. For this I'll probably be needing to compile a few perl
      >>> modules from C source. I've been a Linux user and sysadmin for about
      >>> fifteen years, so that side of things is no problem to me.
      >>
      >> OK. I'm assuming that you're able to compile these perl modules (which
      >> contain C code) on a host platform with no problems. Are they part of
      >> CPAN or something like that, or are they your own work?
      >
      > The ones that need code compiling are in CPAN (eg. Device::SerialPort).

      If you want them to become part of Optware, you can talk to Brian Zhou
      (you can find his contact details on this list), or become an Optware
      developer yourself and contribute the recipes for building them (which
      might be as easy as just adding their names to some lists in the Makefiles).

      >> Have you looked at Optware running on SlugOS? We regularly
      >> cross-compile perl modules in Optware, so it should be straight forward
      >> to add another one if it's part of CPAN, or you can copy the techniques
      >> there to build your own.
      >
      > Is that as documented here:
      >
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Slugosbe

      Yes. We also support Optware for SlugOS/LE too.

      > I'd been given the impression that the little-endian releases were more
      > stable and so gone down that route, but if the person who told me that
      > was mistaken I'll certainly give it a try.

      For SlugOS, the BE and LE releases are pretty much identical apart from
      the endianness.

      However, some hardware drivers only work in LE or BE (depending on the
      quality of the porting work of the author) due to endianness handling.

      Debian is LE, so that might be where some people get the mistaken idea
      that LE is more stable.