Re: newbie questions

  • mcpiffles
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
      The docs always seem to be a bit out of date.

      The optware packages are decent. I used the slugOS/BE 1.5 years or so
      ago when the LE side support sounded questionable at the time. From
      my reading, LE has greatly improved.

      Did you see the comparison matrix for firmwares? It's handy. Good
      summary and feature comparison.
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/FirmwareMatrix

      LE has better support for extra software (from DebianSlug) at this
      point, so personally, I'll probably go LE when/if I upgrade again.

      ----

      If you're at all comfortable opening your slug (see the wiki
      instructions for this), and you're not already running at 266 Mhz*,
      de-underclocking the CPU is easy and makes a pretty big difference.

      This is about the simplest hardware hack I've ever made.

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/OverClockTheSlug

      * Newer slugs may be running at full speed.

      tt

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/SlugOSLE

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
        James Fidell wrote:
        > Rod Whitby wrote:
        >> James Fidell wrote:
        >>> Firstly, my intention is to use the unit to run some perl daemons
        >>> reading data off one of the USB ports and transferring it to a server
        >>> elsewhere. For this I'll probably be needing to compile a few perl
        >>> modules from C source. I've been a Linux user and sysadmin for about
        >>> fifteen years, so that side of things is no problem to me.
        >>
        >> OK. I'm assuming that you're able to compile these perl modules (which
        >> contain C code) on a host platform with no problems. Are they part of
        >> CPAN or something like that, or are they your own work?
        >
        > The ones that need code compiling are in CPAN (eg. Device::SerialPort).

        If you want them to become part of Optware, you can talk to Brian Zhou
        (you can find his contact details on this list), or become an Optware
        developer yourself and contribute the recipes for building them (which
        might be as easy as just adding their names to some lists in the Makefiles).

        >> Have you looked at Optware running on SlugOS? We regularly
        >> cross-compile perl modules in Optware, so it should be straight forward
        >> to add another one if it's part of CPAN, or you can copy the techniques
        >> there to build your own.
        >
        > Is that as documented here:
        >
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Slugosbe

        Yes. We also support Optware for SlugOS/LE too.

        > I'd been given the impression that the little-endian releases were more
        > stable and so gone down that route, but if the person who told me that
        > was mistaken I'll certainly give it a try.

        For SlugOS, the BE and LE releases are pretty much identical apart from
        the endianness.

        However, some hardware drivers only work in LE or BE (depending on the
        quality of the porting work of the author) due to endianness handling.

        Debian is LE, so that might be where some people get the mistaken idea
        that LE is more stable.