Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Structure of a Natively Formatted Unslung 6.8 [and ftm 5.5] disk?

Expand Messages
  • cnczane
    Thanks, Mike, I m sure that s just the ticket. Upon further reflection, I realize that The Slug That Failed (free title for novel for anyone interested) is
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Thanks, Mike, I'm sure that's just the ticket.

      Upon further reflection, I realize that The Slug That Failed (free
      title for novel for anyone interested) is running 5.5! I'll bet an
      upgrade to 6.10 is in the cards, but I'm going to try to use the info
      (about 6.10) in the sample in the zip to reconstruct things (in 5.5)
      as an exercise in patience. ;^)

      I'm starting from a situation where mount reports:
      /dev/sdb1 /share/flash/data
      /dev/sdb2 /share/flash/conf
      Nothing is reported mounted on '/'.

      But I've had to mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb2, because both sdb2 and sda2
      partitions were blown away after a reboot. As a result, I'm being
      required to enter root's original password instead of the later
      one I gave it.

      Well, as Ralph Cramden put it, "And awaaaay we go." Thanks again.
    • cnczane
      ... It worked. After a fashion. I used the clues from the script following the part: # Fix up the filesystems. First the data: mkdir -p /tmp/m mount ${dsk}1
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        >
        > Thanks, Mike, I'm sure that's just the ticket.
        >

        It worked. After a fashion.

        I used the clues from the script following the part:
        # Fix up the filesystems. First the data:
        mkdir -p /tmp/m

        mount ${dsk}1 /tmp/m
        mkdir /tmp/m/public
        ...
        Of course, I mounted the disks' sd[ab]1 & sd[ab]2 partitions and cd'd
        into /share/[hdd|flash]/[conf/] dirs and created/cp'd the appropriate
        files suggested and changed ownership/permissions per the script.

        In places where I wanted to use info I already had instead of mere
        "template" files (e.g., smbpasswd), I copied from a dir I knew the
        file existed (e.g, /etc/samba/) instead of where the script suggested
        (e.g., /usr/local/) or emulated the file found on a working Unslung
        6.8 machine.

        After rebooting, the machine came up with all of sd[ab][12] mounted.

        But the web interface shows all my shares in Red, along with the
        shares with the classic R63 '~'-in-the-name weirdness.

        I'm pretty confident I'm going to be able to get Samba to get these
        worked out. (I don't really care about the native shares because I
        write my own code to descend the media dirs and create semi-dynamic
        webpages for access.)

        Thanks again, Mike.
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.