Re: [nslu2-linux] Structure of a Natively Formatted Unslung 6.8 [and ftm 5.5] disk?

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
      cnczane wrote:
      > I ask because I want to try to recreate or reconstruct "whatever
      > Unslung is looking at to decide" if a formatted disk is present and
      > can be mounted. That is, I'm willing to spend a lot of time
      > investigating this first rather than risking reinstalling and losing
      > huge amounts of data. (It takes days to copy stuff back and forth: my
      > backups are rsync-trickle-charges by comparison.)
      >
      > So far, I knowguess:
      > 444 /.sdb1root
      > 666 /share/flash/data/.dongle
      > cp /home/httpd/html/Management/.htpasswd /share/flash/data/.htpasswd
      > 644 /share/flash/data/share/share.info [Linksys formatted info re: shares]
      > Consistent file threesome re: Unix & Samba users and groups:
      > 644 /share/flash/data/group
      > 644 /share/flash/data/passwd
      > 644 /share/flash/data/smbpasswd [build w/smbpasswd -x[-a] username to
      > be safe
      > 644 /share/flash/data/share/smb.conf [Samba info re: shares]
      > 775 root:root /share/flash/conf
      > 775 admin:everyone /share/flash/data
      >
      > Thanks to any who want to play.
      > --
      > Cnc, the Z.

      See
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheBootDiskMechanism

      The script in the zip file mentioned there will create a device that is
      "preformatted" per the Linksys NSLU2 definition of the term. Cut and
      paste what you need...

      Mike (mwester)
    • cnczane
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
        Thanks, Mike, I'm sure that's just the ticket.

        Upon further reflection, I realize that The Slug That Failed (free
        title for novel for anyone interested) is running 5.5! I'll bet an
        upgrade to 6.10 is in the cards, but I'm going to try to use the info
        (about 6.10) in the sample in the zip to reconstruct things (in 5.5)
        as an exercise in patience. ;^)

        I'm starting from a situation where mount reports:
        /dev/sdb1 /share/flash/data
        /dev/sdb2 /share/flash/conf
        Nothing is reported mounted on '/'.

        But I've had to mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb2, because both sdb2 and sda2
        partitions were blown away after a reboot. As a result, I'm being
        required to enter root's original password instead of the later
        one I gave it.

        Well, as Ralph Cramden put it, "And awaaaay we go." Thanks again.
      • cnczane
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008

          > Thanks, Mike, I'm sure that's just the ticket.

          It worked. After a fashion.

          I used the clues from the script following the part:
          # Fix up the filesystems. First the data:
          mkdir -p /tmp/m

          mount ${dsk}1 /tmp/m
          mkdir /tmp/m/public
          Of course, I mounted the disks' sd[ab]1 & sd[ab]2 partitions and cd'd
          into /share/[hdd|flash]/[conf/] dirs and created/cp'd the appropriate
          files suggested and changed ownership/permissions per the script.

          In places where I wanted to use info I already had instead of mere
          "template" files (e.g., smbpasswd), I copied from a dir I knew the
          file existed (e.g, /etc/samba/) instead of where the script suggested
          (e.g., /usr/local/) or emulated the file found on a working Unslung
          6.8 machine.

          After rebooting, the machine came up with all of sd[ab][12] mounted.

          But the web interface shows all my shares in Red, along with the
          shares with the classic R63 '~'-in-the-name weirdness.

          I'm pretty confident I'm going to be able to get Samba to get these
          worked out. (I don't really care about the native shares because I
          write my own code to descend the media dirs and create semi-dynamic
          webpages for access.)

          Thanks again, Mike.