Re: Auto spin down

  • mcpiffles
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
      Ah well, if you're still around, I don't read these forums much these
      days, but I handled spindowns using a couple techniques.

      My drives are IDE/USB and SATA/USB. 4 of them. 2 IDE, 2 SATA.
      Mostly for mirroring backed up info, so I don't lose my data easily.

      I now use Slugos/BE 4.8

      I have a script I got from one of the spindown columns that checks
      /proc/diskstats for each disk - no change in 45 minutes, then spin the
      disk down.

      Hmm. Here we go. Lots of info on the URL I got a good chunk of my
      info from.

      Modified the shell script from this page here:
      www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks

      Generally, I just leave the script going, but you could run it off a
      cron - just remember, the boot drive gets accessed regularly (/tmp,
      /var, logs, samba), so unless you take steps (or are using a flash
      drive), the boot drive isn't going to spin down, and if it does, it'll
      start right up again.

      I came up with a few different ways to shut down disks. Depending on
      the USB enclosure chip, and disk type (IDE or SATA), different
      commands worked.

      Despite what I read, *ALL* drives I test, IDE or SATA, would spin
      down, but the SATA drives are definitely better at taking the commands.

      #-- for 3 of the disks, 3 commands worked (I used the both
      sdparm and sg_start regularly, though probably one of
      them would have been fine. Scsi-stop wasn't needed

      /opt/bin/sdparm --command=stop /dev/sdd
      /opt/bin/sg_start --stop /dev/$disk
      #/opt/sbin/scsi-stop /dev/$disk

      #-- for the last IDE drive in a crappy case, this command
      worked.
      /opt/bin/sg_start 0 --pc=2 /dev/$disk

      The drives spin up automatically when accessed.

      Sounds good?

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jvikezz" <jvikezz@...> wrote:

      > I was wondering if anyone has solved the spindown issue? if yes, then
      > what was the approach?
      >
      > I run unslung 6.10 with an Western Digital 500 GB Elements USB 2.0.
      >
      > I would like to write a guide on my unslung blog so my fellow unslung
      > users can have a fully functional slug.
      >
      > http://unslung.blogspot.com/
      >
      > I really appreciate any given help to make this problem disapear!
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Vikezz

    • mcpiffles
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
        Final note - I had some success getting the SATA/USB drives to spin
        down under unslung 6.10, but not my IDE drives.

        The one (cheapo) IDE/USB case didn't do anything, and the other
        signaled success but didn't stop.

        I found unslung OS quirks/workarounds frustrating and annoying too.

        When I went SlugOS, it solved most of my problems straight off - I
        wasn't even expecting a change in the spindown status. I thought
        about using DebianSlug, but there wasn't anything extra I needed.

        Maybe next time I upgrade.

        -- tt