"setlogin failed" when using svn+ssh

  • Björn Langels
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
      When I try to connect to my optware subversion server I get this
      error message on the command line:

      > sh: svnserve: not found
      > svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

      In the logs (/var/log/messages) it says:

      Oct 3 09:13:08 (none) auth.info sshd[5524]: Accepted publickey for
      lxxxx from 82.xxx.xxx.xxx port 10455 ssh2
      Oct 3 09:13:08 (none) auth.err sshd[5530]: error: setlogin failed:
      Function not implemented
      Oct 3 09:13:08 (none) auth.err sshd[5530]: error: channel 0:
      chan_read_failed for istate 1
      Oct 3 09:13:08 (none) auth.err sshd[5530]: error: channel 0:
      chan_read_failed for istate 3
      Oct 3 09:13:08 (none) auth.err sshd[5530]: error: channel 0:
      chan_read_failed for istate 3

      If I forward the necessary port via ssh manually I can connect with
      the server but not when letting the svn client handle the ssh
      connection.

      What may be wrong? Is it some kind of setting or something I should
      install to fix this problem?

      /Björn
    • Adam Baker
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
        Björn Langels <yahoogroups@...> writes:

        > When I try to connect to my optware subversion server I get this
        > error message on the command line:
        >
        > > sh: svnserve: not found
        > > svn: Connection closed unexpectedly
        >
        > In the logs (/var/log/messages) it says:
        >
        > Oct 3 09:13:08 (none) auth.info sshd[5524]: Accepted publickey for
        > lxxxx from 82.xxx.xxx.xxx port 10455 ssh2
        > Oct 3 09:13:08 (none) auth.err sshd[5530]: error: setlogin failed:
        > Function not implemented
        > Oct 3 09:13:08 (none) auth.err sshd[5530]: error: channel 0:
        > chan_read_failed for istate 1

        You don't say what you are running optware on, I'll assume Unslung 6.x based on
        the setlogin message although the svnserve not found is more likely on SlugOS or
        OpenWRT.

        The setlogin message is nothing to worry about - you should see those whenever
        you log in with ssh. The svnserve not found would be my prime candidate for
        examination - ssh sets up the path on the slug to include /opt/bin for an
        interactive login but I'm not sure if that works for the non interactive login
        used to launch svnserve. If that is the problem then the workaround at
        http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2007-02/0204.shtml
        should help.

        The chan_read_failed messages are also bad news but could be the result of
        svnserve not launching.
      • Björn Langels
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
          I'm sorry I forgot to tell you my slugos version...
          I'm running SlugOSbe 4.8 and have installed the optware svnserve
          version version 1.5.2 (r32768).

          You are right about that the setlogin failed error message is there
          every time I log in via ssh so that is probably not the cause as you
          say. I'll try to figure out how to make sure the svnserve is
          reachabel in the path when I use svh+ssh.

          /Björn

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

          > Björn Langels <yahoogroups@> writes:
          >

          > > When I try to connect to my optware subversion server I get this
          > > error message on the command line:
          > >
          > > > sh: svnserve: not found
          > > > svn: Connection closed unexpectedly
          > >
          > > In the logs (/var/log/messages) it says:
          > >
          > > Oct 3 09:13:08 (none) auth.info sshd[5524]: Accepted publickey
          for
          > > lxxxx from 82.xxx.xxx.xxx port 10455 ssh2
          > > Oct 3 09:13:08 (none) auth.err sshd[5530]: error: setlogin
          failed:
          > > Function not implemented
          > > Oct 3 09:13:08 (none) auth.err sshd[5530]: error: channel 0:
          > > chan_read_failed for istate 1
          >

          > You don't say what you are running optware on, I'll assume Unslung
          6.x based on
          > the setlogin message although the svnserve not found is more likely
          on SlugOS or
          > OpenWRT.
          >
          > The setlogin message is nothing to worry about - you should see
          those whenever
          > you log in with ssh. The svnserve not found would be my prime
          candidate for
          > examination - ssh sets up the path on the slug to include /opt/bin
          for an
          > interactive login but I'm not sure if that works for the non
          interactive login
          > used to launch svnserve. If that is the problem then the workaround
          at
          > http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2007-02/0204.shtml
          > should help.
          >
          > The chan_read_failed messages are also bad news but could be the
          result of
          > svnserve not launching.

        • Björn Langels
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
            Problem solved :o)

            Thank you for pointing out was was actually the problem for me.

            It was the PATH variable that was the problem when using the opt-
            version of svnserver but adding the correct PATH to .profile
            unfortunately did'nt help.
            I did solve it by adding
            command "/opt/bin/svnserve -t" in the authorized_keys file but then I
            could no longer log in with ssh and get a prompt.

            The working solution for me was simply to add a soft link in /usr/bin
            to /opt/bin/svnserve

            The haxx svn-server seams to be down so I don't know what was the
            suggested workaround there.

            /Björn

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Björn Langels <yahoogroups@...>