Re: HPLIP ipkg broken? Reasonable to try the automatic installer?

  • Brian Zhou
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
      The hpmudext.so should have been installed. Under optware it is
      installed in /opt/lib/python2.5/site-packages. Use "ipkg files hplip"
      to check.

      That said, there is a missing dependency. Try "ipkg install net-snmp"
      and it should help.

      -Brian

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I installed HPLIP per the directions here
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UnslungScanWithHPLIP
      > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UnslungScanWithHPLIP>
      >
      > When I try to run any of the hp-* scripts (like hp-probe, hp-check,
      > hp-info, hp-setup, hp-toolbox, etc) I get the message
      > error: HPMUDEXT could not be loaded. Please check HPLIP installation
      >
      > Per here, this means hpmud Python C extension (hpmudext.so) that
      should
      > be installed in /usr/lib/pythonx.x/site-packages isn't installed. I
      > don't have any subdirectories in /usr/lib besides ./ipkg
      > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/132781
      > <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/132781>
      >
      > The only recommendation I can find on the internet is to remove and
      > reinstall HPLIP. I tried doing it with ipkg and had no joy. Here
      it
      > recommends using the official HPLIP automatic installer for this
      error
      > on Ubuntu
      > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/145017
      > <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/145017>
      > The automatic installer info is here
      > http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/install/index.html
      > <http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/install/index.html>
      >
      > Does anyone know if the HPLIP ipkg is broken? Is there a way to fix
      > this? If not, is it reasonable trying the official automatic
      installer
      > on a NSLU2? Or am I more likely to hose the NSLU2 with it?
      >
      > Thanks, Colin.

    • Joel Gebhart
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
        That worked perfect, thanks.

        Now when I run any of the hp-* tools I get the error message
        warning: python-dbus not installed
        Some of the tools work anyway, some don't.

        I've checked that I did install dbus with ipkg.  On the internet I found the apt package is 'python-dbus', but this package does not exist in ipkg.  Should dbus be working correctly, or is there another ipkg of a different name I need to install?

        Thanks.

      • Tomas Eriksson
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
          1 i have installed SlugOS and put root fs on an externa WD Passport2 250gb HDD.
          Fine.
          I then try to add another WD Passport2 320gb to the other usb port. No command is found in shell and nothing works. Second HDD contain NTFS and alot of files.

          any ideas?

          2 and also, ipkg install samba + configuration gives me unreachable shares from Windows Vista.

          thanx

          Ta semester! - sök efter resor hos Kelkoo.
          Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum: http://www.kelkoo.se/c-169901-resor-biljetter.html
        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
            Tomas Eriksson wrote:
            > 1 i have installed SlugOS and put root fs on an externa WD Passport2
            > 250gb HDD.
            > Fine.
            > I then try to add another WD Passport2 320gb to the other usb port. No
            > command is found in shell and nothing works. Second HDD contain NTFS and
            > alot of files.
            >
            > any ideas?

            You need to manually mount NTFS partitions; they are not automatically
            mounted with SlugOS 4.8. You'll need to install ntfs-3g, and then mount
            the drive with an entry in fstab or similar.

            > 2 and also, ipkg install samba + configuration gives me unreachable
            > shares from Windows Vista.

            You'll have to provide more information on that -- is this related to
            the other problem? At least provide the error messages, log file
            entries, and the config file so that someone familiar with Samba configs
            can offer some suggestions!

            Mike (mwester)