Re: Can someone help on how to fix /dev/lp0 after accidental delete?

  • Joel Gebhart
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
      > Firstly I've followed the tutorials on the nslu2-linux site however
      > there is no sign of life from the printer.

      You followed this?
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter
      I just did it setting up a F4180, which I understand is the little bit fancier version of your printer.  It was a time consuming process.  I corrected a few errors and unclear items on the page, but I finally got it to work.  At which step does something go wrong for you?

      > One thing that I noticed was the lpc reports the interface as on
      > parallel whereas it's a usb printer.

      Yeah, don't even worry about that, mine says the same thing and it prints fine.

      > Also, in trying to fix it i've accidentally deleted /dev/lp0, so now
      > CUPS says it cannot access the device.

      At one of my dead-ends I was going to try moving the printer to the non existent /dev/usb/lp0.  From my research, it appears the correct command to create a device is mknod, but you have to have the major and minor node numbers.  The only way I think I found to get that info was with hp-* tools in HPLIP.  I haven't been able to get HPLIP working so it was a non-starter.  Unfortunately you gotta fix that first and I don't know how.
    • Joel Gebhart
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
        > From my research, it appears the correct command
        > to create a device is mknod, but you have to have the major and minor
        > node numbers.

        I just reread the Wiki and I think I found the command in the section on building the printer driver yourself.  Try...
        # mknod /dev/lp0 c 180 0

        As far as how to troubleshoot the rest of your problem, it is obviously best to verify you have gone through the previously referenced wiki step by step, but 2 things you can do real quick to see if it is a glaringly obvious problem are
        # lsmod
        You should see something about printer.c or printer.o being loaded.

        # tail -f /var/log/messages
        You should see 3 lines about the USB device being detected, printer.c being loaded, and something about the port the printer is on.  Press ctrl+c to escape tail.