Trying to setup CUPS on Unslung 6.10 with a HP All-In-One 2180

  • dynitemrc5
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hi guys,

      I'm trying to set up CUPS as per the topic title however I'm having
      some difficulty.

      Firstly I've followed the tutorials on the nslu2-linux site however
      there is no sign of life from the printer.

      One thing that I noticed was the lpc reports the interface as on
      parallel whereas it's a usb printer.

      Also, in trying to fix it i've accidentally deleted /dev/lp0, so now
      CUPS says it cannot access the device.

      How can I replace this / set-up the printer correctly?

      Many thanks for any help.
    • Joel Gebhart
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
        > Firstly I've followed the tutorials on the nslu2-linux site however
        > there is no sign of life from the printer.

        You followed this?
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter
        I just did it setting up a F4180, which I understand is the little bit fancier version of your printer.  It was a time consuming process.  I corrected a few errors and unclear items on the page, but I finally got it to work.  At which step does something go wrong for you?

        > One thing that I noticed was the lpc reports the interface as on
        > parallel whereas it's a usb printer.

        Yeah, don't even worry about that, mine says the same thing and it prints fine.

        > Also, in trying to fix it i've accidentally deleted /dev/lp0, so now
        > CUPS says it cannot access the device.

        At one of my dead-ends I was going to try moving the printer to the non existent /dev/usb/lp0.  From my research, it appears the correct command to create a device is mknod, but you have to have the major and minor node numbers.  The only way I think I found to get that info was with hp-* tools in HPLIP.  I haven't been able to get HPLIP working so it was a non-starter.  Unfortunately you gotta fix that first and I don't know how.
      • Joel Gebhart
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
          > From my research, it appears the correct command
          > to create a device is mknod, but you have to have the major and minor
          > node numbers.

          I just reread the Wiki and I think I found the command in the section on building the printer driver yourself.  Try...
          # mknod /dev/lp0 c 180 0

          As far as how to troubleshoot the rest of your problem, it is obviously best to verify you have gone through the previously referenced wiki step by step, but 2 things you can do real quick to see if it is a glaringly obvious problem are
          # lsmod
          You should see something about printer.c or printer.o being loaded.

          # tail -f /var/log/messages
          You should see 3 lines about the USB device being detected, printer.c being loaded, and something about the port the printer is on.  Press ctrl+c to escape tail.