HPLIP ipkg broken? Reasonable to try the automatic installer?

  • Joel Gebhart
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008

      I installed HPLIP per the directions here
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UnslungScanWithHPLIP

      When I try to run any of the hp-* scripts (like hp-probe, hp-check, hp-info, hp-setup, hp-toolbox, etc) I get the message
      error: HPMUDEXT could not be loaded. Please check HPLIP installation

      Per here, this means hpmud Python C extension (hpmudext.so) that should be installed in /usr/lib/pythonx.x/site-packages isn't installed.  I don't have any subdirectories in /usr/lib besides ./ipkg
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/132781

      The only recommendation I can find on the internet is to remove and reinstall HPLIP.  I tried doing it with ipkg and had no joy.  Here it recommends using the official HPLIP automatic installer for this error on Ubuntu
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/145017
      The automatic installer info is here
      http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/install/index.html

      Does anyone know if the HPLIP ipkg is broken?  Is there a way to fix this?  If not, is it reasonable trying the official automatic installer on a NSLU2?  Or am I more likely to hose the NSLU2 with it?

      Thanks, Colin.
    • Brian Zhou
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
        The hpmudext.so should have been installed. Under optware it is
        installed in /opt/lib/python2.5/site-packages. Use "ipkg files hplip"
        to check.

        That said, there is a missing dependency. Try "ipkg install net-snmp"
        and it should help.

        -Brian

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I installed HPLIP per the directions here
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UnslungScanWithHPLIP
        > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UnslungScanWithHPLIP>
        >
        > When I try to run any of the hp-* scripts (like hp-probe, hp-check,
        > hp-info, hp-setup, hp-toolbox, etc) I get the message
        > error: HPMUDEXT could not be loaded. Please check HPLIP installation
        >
        > Per here, this means hpmud Python C extension (hpmudext.so) that
        should
        > be installed in /usr/lib/pythonx.x/site-packages isn't installed. I
        > don't have any subdirectories in /usr/lib besides ./ipkg
        > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/132781
        > <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/132781>
        >
        > The only recommendation I can find on the internet is to remove and
        > reinstall HPLIP. I tried doing it with ipkg and had no joy. Here
        it
        > recommends using the official HPLIP automatic installer for this
        error
        > on Ubuntu
        > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/145017
        > <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/145017>
        > The automatic installer info is here
        > http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/install/index.html
        > <http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/install/index.html>
        >
        > Does anyone know if the HPLIP ipkg is broken? Is there a way to fix
        > this? If not, is it reasonable trying the official automatic
        installer
        > on a NSLU2? Or am I more likely to hose the NSLU2 with it?
        >
        > Thanks, Colin.

      • Joel Gebhart
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
          That worked perfect, thanks.

          Now when I run any of the hp-* tools I get the error message
          warning: python-dbus not installed
          Some of the tools work anyway, some don't.

          I've checked that I did install dbus with ipkg.  On the internet I found the apt package is 'python-dbus', but this package does not exist in ipkg.  Should dbus be working correctly, or is there another ipkg of a different name I need to install?

          Thanks.

        • Tomas Eriksson
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
            1 i have installed SlugOS and put root fs on an externa WD Passport2 250gb HDD.
            Fine.
            I then try to add another WD Passport2 320gb to the other usb port. No command is found in shell and nothing works. Second HDD contain NTFS and alot of files.

            any ideas?

            2 and also, ipkg install samba + configuration gives me unreachable shares from Windows Vista.

            thanx

            Ta semester! - sök efter resor hos Kelkoo.
            Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum: http://www.kelkoo.se/c-169901-resor-biljetter.html
          • Mike (mwester)
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
              Tomas Eriksson wrote:
              > 1 i have installed SlugOS and put root fs on an externa WD Passport2
              > 250gb HDD.
              > Fine.
              > I then try to add another WD Passport2 320gb to the other usb port. No
              > command is found in shell and nothing works. Second HDD contain NTFS and
              > alot of files.
              >
              > any ideas?

              You need to manually mount NTFS partitions; they are not automatically
              mounted with SlugOS 4.8. You'll need to install ntfs-3g, and then mount
              the drive with an entry in fstab or similar.

              > 2 and also, ipkg install samba + configuration gives me unreachable
              > shares from Windows Vista.

              You'll have to provide more information on that -- is this related to
              the other problem? At least provide the error messages, log file
              entries, and the config file so that someone familiar with Samba configs
              can offer some suggestions!

              Mike (mwester)