Re: CUPS is working!
- I got it fixed!
I first got the CUPS webserver working, because it was giving me a "526
upgrade required" message when I tried to do anything but view the main
page. Then I used the website to add the printer. The reference in the
directions to using a HP990c confused me into doing the wrong things.
It really has nothing to do with that printer, just the default
configuration for that printer happens to use the correct printer
The physical device shows up on the CUPS add printer dialogs as a "HP
F4100 blah". You must leave the selection "HP deskjet series 1.3 blah
blah blah" printer language alone (which is what prints to the "raw USB
mode" whatever that means). And you can name the printer anything you
When you install it in Windows, you MUST use the correct printer driver
for the printer you are using. The HP990c is NOT generic, and nothing
will happen if you use that driver and don't have that printer. In my
case there is no F4180 driver, you have to use the F4100 driver. Adding
insult to injury, Windows obviously didn't ship with this newer driver.
In Windows "add printer" dialog the standard drivers that come with
windows are listed under "HP", and contain nothing that work. However,
after you install the CD that came with the printer, there is a new
entry in the Windows "add printer" dialog under "Hewlett-Packard", and
it contains only newly added drivers including the F4100.
When I was trying to cat a file into /dev/lp0, I set the "print to file"
option with the HP990c driver, so the F4180 printer didn't know what to
do with the file.
I have it printing from Windows clients. Now I just haven't been able
to get Ubuntu clients to print to it. It seems CUPS on the NSLU2 isn't
publishing the queue, but I am not at convinced I am trying to set it up
right. That may be a problem for another forum though.