CUPS missing libldap-2.3.so.0 on slugosbe-4.8-beta-nslu2.bin

  • tef261
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
      I'm stymied once more. I'm trying to run CUPS under a fresh install of
      slugosbe-4.8-beta-nslu2.bin. My NSLU2 is booting to a 1G flash drive
      with 750Mb for the root partition and approx 250M for swap. I tried
      following the instructions on
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallCups, including
      getting packages from optware as described in
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Slugosbe.

      Side note: sometimes packages fail to install, complaining about an
      MD5 sum that doesn't match up. If I try the failed package once or
      twice more it will claim success. Is this normal?

      After getting all the packages installed and an appropriate init.d
      script set up, these are my results:

      root@sneezy:~$ /etc/init.d/S88cups start
      /opt/sbin/cupsd: error while loading shared libraries:
      libldap-2.3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
      directory
      root@sneezy:~$ find / -name *ldap*
      /opt/lib/ipkg/info/openldap-libs.control
      /opt/lib/ipkg/info/openldap-libs.list
      /opt/include/ldap.h
      /opt/include/ldap_cdefs.h
      /opt/include/ldap_features.h
      /opt/include/ldap_schema.h
      root@sneezy:~$ ./ipkg-opt install openldap-libs
      Package openldap-libs (2.3.43-1) installed in /opt/ is up to date.
      Nothing to be done
      Successfully terminated.
      root@sneezy:~$

      Probably I am doing something simple and obvious wrong. Missing a
      library? I believe I installed all that were on the wiki page.Any hints?

      Thanks,

      --Todd
    • Brian Zhou
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 28, 2008
        # /opt/bin/ipkg files openldap-libs | grep ^/ | sort -u
        /opt/include/lber.h
        /opt/include/lber_types.h
        /opt/include/ldap.h
        /opt/include/ldap_cdefs.h
        /opt/include/ldap_features.h
        /opt/include/ldap_schema.h
        /opt/include/ldap_utf8.h
        /opt/include/slapi-plugin.h
        /opt/lib/liblber-2.3.so.0
        /opt/lib/liblber-2.3.so.0.2.31
        /opt/lib/liblber.so
        /opt/lib/libldap-2.3.so.0
        /opt/lib/libldap-2.3.so.0.2.31
        /opt/lib/libldap.so
        /opt/lib/libldap_r-2.3.so.0
        /opt/lib/libldap_r-2.3.so.0.2.31
        /opt/lib/libldap_r.so

        So looks like openldap-libs was NOT installed correctly. Try

        # /opt/bin/ipkg install -force-reinstall openldap-libs

        -Brian
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "tef261" <tef261@...> wrote:

        > I'm stymied once more. I'm trying to run CUPS under a fresh install
        of
        > slugosbe-4.8-beta-nslu2.bin. My NSLU2 is booting to a 1G flash drive
        > with 750Mb for the root partition and approx 250M for swap. I tried
        > following the instructions on
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallCups, including
        > getting packages from optware as described in
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Slugosbe.
        >
        > Side note: sometimes packages fail to install, complaining about an
        > MD5 sum that doesn't match up. If I try the failed package once or
        > twice more it will claim success. Is this normal?
        >
        > After getting all the packages installed and an appropriate init.d
        > script set up, these are my results:
        >
        > root@sneezy:~$ /etc/init.d/S88cups start
        > /opt/sbin/cupsd: error while loading shared libraries:
        > libldap-2.3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
        > directory
        > root@sneezy:~$ find / -name *ldap*
        > /opt/lib/ipkg/info/openldap-libs.control
        > /opt/lib/ipkg/info/openldap-libs.list
        > /opt/include/ldap.h
        > /opt/include/ldap_cdefs.h
        > /opt/include/ldap_features.h
        > /opt/include/ldap_schema.h
        > root@sneezy:~$ ./ipkg-opt install openldap-libs
        > Package openldap-libs (2.3.43-1) installed in /opt/ is up to date.
        > Nothing to be done
        > Successfully terminated.
        > root@sneezy:~$
        >
        > Probably I am doing something simple and obvious wrong. Missing a
        > library? I believe I installed all that were on the wiki page.Any
        hints?

        > Thanks,
        >
        > --Todd

      • tef261
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2008
          Brian,

          Thanks for the advice. I reinstalled the openldap package and that
          problem went away. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be out of the woods yet:

          root@sneezy:~$ /etc/init.d/S88cups start
          /opt/sbin/cupsd: error while loading shared libraries: libpam.so.0:
          root@sneezy:~$ find / -name libpam*
          root@sneezy:~$

          I tried searching the NSLU2-Linux wiki, this newsgroup, and google in
          general, with no luck. I even tried -force-reinstall with each of the
          required packages (according to
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallCups), just to make
          sure none of the rest were missing pieces. Though it seems that libpam
          must be a security library that maybe should already be on my system.

          So I don't wish to act helpless. But I'd appreciate another boost
          along the way.

          -----------

          The good news is that I got NFS working yesterday! The sad new is I
          need to reformat my external disk with ext2/3 since the slug doesn't
          appear to be reading the Mac system on the disk (though my Ubuntu box
          reads it fine).

          Thanks for your help.

          --Todd
        • Brian Zhou
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 2008
            # /usr/bin/ipkg list | grep libpam
            libpam - 0.79-r1 - PAM authentication library for Linux. Linux-PAM
            (Pluggable Authentication Modules for Linux) is a library that enables
            the loc
            libpam-dbg - 0.79-r1 - PAM authentication library for Linux. Linux-
            PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules for Linux) is a library that
            enables the loc
            libpam-dev - 0.79-r1 - PAM authentication library for Linux. Linux-
            PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules for Linux) is a library that
            enables the loc
            libpam-doc - 0.79-r1 - PAM authentication library for Linux. Linux-
            PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules for Linux) is a library that
            enables the loc

            On the build system, slugosbe toolchain staged libpam.so, then optware
            build picks it up.

            You can try "/usr/bin/ipkg install libpam".

            -Brian

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "tef261" <tef261@...> wrote:

            > Brian,
            >
            > Thanks for the advice. I reinstalled the openldap package and that
            > problem went away. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be out of the
            woods yet:

            > root@sneezy:~$ /etc/init.d/S88cups start
            > /opt/sbin/cupsd: error while loading shared libraries: libpam.so.0:
            > root@sneezy:~$ find / -name libpam*
            > root@sneezy:~$
            >
            > I tried searching the NSLU2-Linux wiki, this newsgroup, and google
            in
            > general, with no luck. I even tried -force-reinstall with each of
            the
            > required packages (according to
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallCups), just to make
            > sure none of the rest were missing pieces. Though it seems that
            libpam
            > must be a security library that maybe should already be on my
            system.

            > So I don't wish to act helpless. But I'd appreciate another boost
            > along the way.
            >
            > -----------
            >
            > The good news is that I got NFS working yesterday! The sad new is I
            > need to reformat my external disk with ext2/3 since the slug doesn't
            > appear to be reading the Mac system on the disk (though my Ubuntu
            box
            > reads it fine).
            >

            > Thanks for your help.
            >
            > --Todd

          • tef261
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2008
              Brian,

              Yes, I was looking around trying to find libpam. Unfortunately, ipkg
              reports:

              root@sneezy:~$ ipkg list | grep libpam
              root@sneezy:~$ /usr/bin/ipkg list | grep libpam
              root@sneezy:~$ ./ipkg-opt list | grep libpam
              root@sneezy:~$

              Maybe I'm missing an entry in /etc/ipkg.conf ?

              root@sneezy:~$ cat /etc/ipkg.conf | grep src
              # src <src-name> <source-url>
              # where <src-name> and <dest-names> are identifiers that
              root@sneezy:~$

              For whatever reason, I don't seem able to find libpam in the ipkg repo's.

              I'm sorry to float so many questions. It makes me wonder if I have a
              hardware issue or something: why is my setup responding differently
              from those of the silent majority?

              Thanks,

              --Todd

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

              > # /usr/bin/ipkg list | grep libpam
              > libpam - 0.79-r1 - PAM authentication library for Linux. Linux-PAM
              > (Pluggable Authentication Modules for Linux) is a library that enables
              > the loc
              > libpam-dbg - 0.79-r1 - PAM authentication library for Linux. Linux-
              > PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules for Linux) is a library that
              > enables the loc
              > libpam-dev - 0.79-r1 - PAM authentication library for Linux. Linux-
              > PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules for Linux) is a library that
              > enables the loc
              > libpam-doc - 0.79-r1 - PAM authentication library for Linux. Linux-
              > PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules for Linux) is a library that
              > enables the loc
              >
              > On the build system, slugosbe toolchain staged libpam.so, then optware
              > build picks it up.
              >
              > You can try "/usr/bin/ipkg install libpam".
              >
              > -Brian

            • Brian Zhou
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 2008
                libpam ipk's are in
                http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/cross/4.8-beta

                I have /etc/ipkg/cross-feed.conf point to that feed. Read the output
                of "/usr/bin/ipkg update" carefully, and see if the feed is in the
                updated list.

              • tef261
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
                  Thanks again, Brian. I was positive I had tried to "ipkg install
                  libpam" multiple times. But it appears I must have been mistaken: an
                  update and an install later cups is running like a champ! Sorry for
                  the UGE.