Re: About debian!

  • phiho_251286
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
      <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:59, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
      > >>
      > >> Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
      > >> installer is much easier.
      > >> --
      > >> Martin Michlmayr
      > >> http://www.cyrius.com/
      > >>

      > > Yes! Before, i have try this method(use installer), but after install
      > > i can't telnet into nslu2 because pass login invalid, i try with user
      > > "root" and pass "install", can you help me for pass in this case.
      >
      > At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
      > will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
      > at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
      > also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
      > user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.
      >
      > Gordon
      >
      > --
      > Gordon Farquharson
      > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

      yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
      nslu2 reset again.
      after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
      that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
      since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
      installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
      is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
      now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
      nerver set pass for nslu2.
    • Martin Michlmayr
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
        * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 17:17]:
        > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
        > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
        > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
        > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
        > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
        > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
        > nerver set pass for nslu2.

        The test you're quoting tells you what the password is - install.

        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

          > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 17:17]:
          > > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
          > > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
          > > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
          > > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
          > > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@...".
          > > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
          > > nerver set pass for nslu2.
          >
          > The test you're quoting tells you what the password is - install.
          >
          > --
          > Martin Michlmayr
          > http://www.cyrius.com/

          yeah. i try with pass is "install" but it still invalid.
        • Gordon Farquharson
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
            On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:17, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
            > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

            >> At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
            >> will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
            >> at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
            >> also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
            >> user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.

            > yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
            > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
            > nslu2 reset again.

            So, during the installation, did you set a both a root password and a
            user name and password? If you did indeed do this, then use either the
            root password (with a user name of root) that *you* chose, or the user
            name and password that *you* set.

            > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
            > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
            > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
            > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
            > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
            > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
            > nerver set pass for nslu2.

            If you followed the installation instructions at
            http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, you would have set at
            least a root password. Once Debian is installed, you no longer use
            user name "installer" and password "install" to log in. That user name
            and password is only used to access the installer, and no longer
            exists after the installation is finished. That is, once Debian has
            finished installing (it will take around 2 to 3 hours to install), you
            log in using the user name and password that you set during the
            installation process.

            To be absolutely clear, the procedure is:

            1. flash the NSLU2 with the Debian Installer image;
            2. reboot and log in using user name "installer", password "install";
            3. install Debian (takes around 2 to 3 hours);
            4. reboot;
            5. log in using the user name and password you set during the 2 to 3
            hour installation.

            Gordon

            --
            Gordon Farquharson
            GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
              <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

              > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:17, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
              > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:
              >
              > >> At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
              > >> will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that
              you set
              > >> at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
              > >> also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use
              this
              > >> user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.
              >
              > > yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
              > > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
              > > nslu2 reset again.
              >
              > So, during the installation, did you set a both a root password and a
              > user name and password? If you did indeed do this, then use either the
              > root password (with a user name of root) that *you* chose, or the user
              > name and password that *you* set.
              >
              > > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
              > > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
              > > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
              > > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
              > > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@...".
              > > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
              > > nerver set pass for nslu2.
              >
              > If you followed the installation instructions at
              > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, you would have set at
              > least a root password. Once Debian is installed, you no longer use
              > user name "installer" and password "install" to log in. That user name
              > and password is only used to access the installer, and no longer
              > exists after the installation is finished. That is, once Debian has
              > finished installing (it will take around 2 to 3 hours to install), you
              > log in using the user name and password that you set during the
              > installation process.
              >
              > To be absolutely clear, the procedure is:
              >
              > 1. flash the NSLU2 with the Debian Installer image;
              > 2. reboot and log in using user name "installer", password "install";
              > 3. install Debian (takes around 2 to 3 hours);
              > 4. reboot;
              > 5. log in using the user name and password you set during the 2 to 3
              > hour installation.
              >
              > Gordon
              >
              > --
              > Gordon Farquharson
              > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

              oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
              for it. Why?
            • Gordon Farquharson
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008

                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                --
                Gordon Farquharson
                GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                  <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                  > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:47, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                  > > for it. Why?

                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                  > --
                  > Gordon Farquharson
                  > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                  before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                  now i can't perfome this action.
                • Gordon Farquharson
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                    On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:56, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                    > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:47, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> > oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                    >> > for it. Why?
                    >>

                    > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> Gordon Farquharson
                    >> GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                    >>
                    > before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                    > now i can't perfome this action.

                    If anybody is to help you with this problem, you need to provide more
                    information about exactly what you did before the problem occurred,
                    and what you see now. For instance, what are the the colours of the
                    LEDs on the NSLU2? Also, tell people about your system configuration,
                    e.g. do you have your hard drive connected (only relevant if your hard
                    drive is powered over the USB port), how have you got your NSLU2
                    connected to your LAN, etc.

                    Gordon

                    --
                    Gordon Farquharson
                    GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                      <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                      > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:56, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                      > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:

                      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                      > >> --
                      > >> Gordon Farquharson
                      > >> GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                      > >>
                      > > before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                      > > now i can't perfome this action.
                      >
                      > If anybody is to help you with this problem, you need to provide more
                      > information about exactly what you did before the problem occurred,
                      > and what you see now. For instance, what are the the colours of the
                      > LEDs on the NSLU2? Also, tell people about your system configuration,
                      > e.g. do you have your hard drive connected (only relevant if your hard
                      > drive is powered over the USB port), how have you got your NSLU2
                      > connected to your LAN, etc.
                      >
                      > Gordon
                      >
                      > --
                      > Gordon Farquharson
                      > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                      sorry! i have reflash my slug by sercumm utility, and version i
                      upgrade is "Unslung-6.8-beta". After upgrade finish, it reboot and
                      first led is orange, secon led is yellow, with no any device in USB
                      port. After i don't power of it, i unplug power. Follow i restart
                      device and log my slug into upgrade mode, but don't perform this
                      action. Have problem with my slug,...need remove pattery?