Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: About debian!

  • Gordon Farquharson
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
      On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:59, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
      >> > I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...
      >>
      >> Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
      >> installer is much easier.
      >> --
      >> Martin Michlmayr
      >> http://www.cyrius.com/
      >>

      > Yes! Before, i have try this method(use installer), but after install
      > i can't telnet into nslu2 because pass login invalid, i try with user
      > "root" and pass "install", can you help me for pass in this case.

      At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
      will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
      at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
      also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
      user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.

      Gordon

      --
      Gordon Farquharson
      GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
        <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

        > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:59, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@> wrote:
        > >>
        > >> * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
        > >>
        > >> Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
        > >> installer is much easier.
        > >> --
        > >> Martin Michlmayr
        > >> http://www.cyrius.com/
        > >>

        > > Yes! Before, i have try this method(use installer), but after install
        > > i can't telnet into nslu2 because pass login invalid, i try with user
        > > "root" and pass "install", can you help me for pass in this case.
        >
        > At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
        > will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
        > at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
        > also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
        > user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.
        >
        > Gordon
        >
        > --
        > Gordon Farquharson
        > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

        yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
        http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
        nslu2 reset again.
        after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
        that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
        since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
        installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
        is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
        now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
        nerver set pass for nslu2.
      • Martin Michlmayr
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
          * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 17:17]:
          > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
          > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
          > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
          > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
          > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
          > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
          > nerver set pass for nslu2.

          The test you're quoting tells you what the password is - install.

          --
          Martin Michlmayr
          http://www.cyrius.com/
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

            > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 17:17]:
            > > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
            > > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
            > > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
            > > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
            > > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@...".
            > > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
            > > nerver set pass for nslu2.
            >
            > The test you're quoting tells you what the password is - install.
            >
            > --
            > Martin Michlmayr
            > http://www.cyrius.com/

            yeah. i try with pass is "install" but it still invalid.
          • Gordon Farquharson
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
              On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:17, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
              > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

              >> At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
              >> will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
              >> at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
              >> also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
              >> user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.

              > yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
              > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
              > nslu2 reset again.

              So, during the installation, did you set a both a root password and a
              user name and password? If you did indeed do this, then use either the
              root password (with a user name of root) that *you* chose, or the user
              name and password that *you* set.

              > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
              > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
              > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
              > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
              > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
              > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
              > nerver set pass for nslu2.

              If you followed the installation instructions at
              http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, you would have set at
              least a root password. Once Debian is installed, you no longer use
              user name "installer" and password "install" to log in. That user name
              and password is only used to access the installer, and no longer
              exists after the installation is finished. That is, once Debian has
              finished installing (it will take around 2 to 3 hours to install), you
              log in using the user name and password that you set during the
              installation process.

              To be absolutely clear, the procedure is:

              1. flash the NSLU2 with the Debian Installer image;
              2. reboot and log in using user name "installer", password "install";
              3. install Debian (takes around 2 to 3 hours);
              4. reboot;
              5. log in using the user name and password you set during the 2 to 3
              hour installation.

              Gordon

              --
              Gordon Farquharson
              GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:17, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:
                >
                > >> At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
                > >> will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that
                you set
                > >> at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
                > >> also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use
                this
                > >> user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.
                >
                > > yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
                > > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
                > > nslu2 reset again.
                >
                > So, during the installation, did you set a both a root password and a
                > user name and password? If you did indeed do this, then use either the
                > root password (with a user name of root) that *you* chose, or the user
                > name and password that *you* set.
                >
                > > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                > > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                > > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                > > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                > > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@...".
                > > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                > > nerver set pass for nslu2.
                >
                > If you followed the installation instructions at
                > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, you would have set at
                > least a root password. Once Debian is installed, you no longer use
                > user name "installer" and password "install" to log in. That user name
                > and password is only used to access the installer, and no longer
                > exists after the installation is finished. That is, once Debian has
                > finished installing (it will take around 2 to 3 hours to install), you
                > log in using the user name and password that you set during the
                > installation process.
                >
                > To be absolutely clear, the procedure is:
                >
                > 1. flash the NSLU2 with the Debian Installer image;
                > 2. reboot and log in using user name "installer", password "install";
                > 3. install Debian (takes around 2 to 3 hours);
                > 4. reboot;
                > 5. log in using the user name and password you set during the 2 to 3
                > hour installation.
                >
                > Gordon
                >
                > --
                > Gordon Farquharson
                > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                for it. Why?
              • Gordon Farquharson
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008

                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                  --
                  Gordon Farquharson
                  GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                    <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                    > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:47, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                    > > for it. Why?

                    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                    > --
                    > Gordon Farquharson
                    > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                    before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                    now i can't perfome this action.
                  • Gordon Farquharson
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                      On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:56, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                      > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:47, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> > oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                      >> > for it. Why?
                      >>

                      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode
                      >>
                      >> --
                      >> Gordon Farquharson
                      >> GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                      >>
                      > before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                      > now i can't perfome this action.

                      If anybody is to help you with this problem, you need to provide more
                      information about exactly what you did before the problem occurred,
                      and what you see now. For instance, what are the the colours of the
                      LEDs on the NSLU2? Also, tell people about your system configuration,
                      e.g. do you have your hard drive connected (only relevant if your hard
                      drive is powered over the USB port), how have you got your NSLU2
                      connected to your LAN, etc.

                      Gordon

                      --
                      Gordon Farquharson
                      GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                        <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                        > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:56, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                        > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:

                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                        > >> --
                        > >> Gordon Farquharson
                        > >> GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                        > >>
                        > > before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                        > > now i can't perfome this action.
                        >
                        > If anybody is to help you with this problem, you need to provide more
                        > information about exactly what you did before the problem occurred,
                        > and what you see now. For instance, what are the the colours of the
                        > LEDs on the NSLU2? Also, tell people about your system configuration,
                        > e.g. do you have your hard drive connected (only relevant if your hard
                        > drive is powered over the USB port), how have you got your NSLU2
                        > connected to your LAN, etc.
                        >
                        > Gordon
                        >
                        > --
                        > Gordon Farquharson
                        > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                        sorry! i have reflash my slug by sercumm utility, and version i
                        upgrade is "Unslung-6.8-beta". After upgrade finish, it reboot and
                        first led is orange, secon led is yellow, with no any device in USB
                        port. After i don't power of it, i unplug power. Follow i restart
                        device and log my slug into upgrade mode, but don't perform this
                        action. Have problem with my slug,...need remove pattery?