Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: About debian!

  • Gordon Farquharson
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
      On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:52, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
      > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:
      >

      >> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 05:54, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> > I have install debian in my nslu2. I use upgrade utility to upgrade
      >> > for this version.
      >>
      >> Which upgrade utility did you use? Was it 'apt-get dist-upgrade'?

      > No! I use sercumm utility in windown to upgrade debian.

      You need to be more specific for us to be able to help you
      effectively. What image did you upload to the NSLU2 using the Sercomm
      utility? Was it an installer image from slug-firmware.net?

      Gordon

      --
      Gordon Farquharson
      GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

        > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
        > > I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...
        >
        > Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
        > installer is much easier.
        > --
        > Martin Michlmayr
        > http://www.cyrius.com/

        Yes! Before, i have try this method(use installer), but after install
        i can't telnet into nslu2 because pass login invalid, i try with user
        "root" and pass "install", can you help me for pass in this case.
      • Gordon Farquharson
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
          On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:54, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
          > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
          >
          >> I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...
          >
          > Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
          > installer is much easier.

          Martin is correct - use the Debian Installer installation method. It
          is much easier. However, first, I'd suggest flashing the Linksys
          firmware to your NSLU2, and using the web interface to make sure that
          you know that you have your network settings correct. Once you have
          accessed the Linksys firmware web interface, follow Martin's
          instructions at http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html. Pay
          particular attention to the following paragraph in Martin's
          instructions:

          ---
          Please note that if you use a static IP configuration, you have to
          specify all information, including netmask, gateway and DNS. If you
          don't specify all information, debian-installer will not be able to
          bring up the network and there's currently no way to tell the user
          that an error has occurred. An incomplete network configuration has so
          far been the most common reasons for problems with these images, so
          please make sure you have filled in all values.
          ---

          Once you have checked/fixed the network settings, then download the
          Debian installer image from http://www.slug-firmware.net/ and use the
          Sercomm utility to flash that image to the NSLU2.

          Gordon

          --
          Gordon Farquharson
          GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
            On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:59, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
            >> > I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...
            >>
            >> Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
            >> installer is much easier.
            >> --
            >> Martin Michlmayr
            >> http://www.cyrius.com/
            >>

            > Yes! Before, i have try this method(use installer), but after install
            > i can't telnet into nslu2 because pass login invalid, i try with user
            > "root" and pass "install", can you help me for pass in this case.

            At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
            will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
            at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
            also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
            user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.

            Gordon

            --
            Gordon Farquharson
            GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
              <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

              > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:59, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
              > >>
              > >> Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
              > >> installer is much easier.
              > >> --
              > >> Martin Michlmayr
              > >> http://www.cyrius.com/
              > >>

              > > Yes! Before, i have try this method(use installer), but after install
              > > i can't telnet into nslu2 because pass login invalid, i try with user
              > > "root" and pass "install", can you help me for pass in this case.
              >
              > At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
              > will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
              > at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
              > also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
              > user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.
              >
              > Gordon
              >
              > --
              > Gordon Farquharson
              > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

              yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
              http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
              nslu2 reset again.
              after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
              that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
              since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
              installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
              is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
              now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
              nerver set pass for nslu2.
            • Martin Michlmayr
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 17:17]:
                > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
                > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                > nerver set pass for nslu2.

                The test you're quoting tells you what the password is - install.

                --
                Martin Michlmayr
                http://www.cyrius.com/
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                  > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 17:17]:
                  > > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                  > > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                  > > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                  > > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                  > > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@...".
                  > > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                  > > nerver set pass for nslu2.
                  >
                  > The test you're quoting tells you what the password is - install.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Martin Michlmayr
                  > http://www.cyrius.com/

                  yeah. i try with pass is "install" but it still invalid.
                • Gordon Farquharson
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                    On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:17, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                    > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                    >> At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
                    >> will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
                    >> at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
                    >> also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
                    >> user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.

                    > yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
                    > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
                    > nslu2 reset again.

                    So, during the installation, did you set a both a root password and a
                    user name and password? If you did indeed do this, then use either the
                    root password (with a user name of root) that *you* chose, or the user
                    name and password that *you* set.

                    > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                    > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                    > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                    > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                    > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
                    > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                    > nerver set pass for nslu2.

                    If you followed the installation instructions at
                    http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, you would have set at
                    least a root password. Once Debian is installed, you no longer use
                    user name "installer" and password "install" to log in. That user name
                    and password is only used to access the installer, and no longer
                    exists after the installation is finished. That is, once Debian has
                    finished installing (it will take around 2 to 3 hours to install), you
                    log in using the user name and password that you set during the
                    installation process.

                    To be absolutely clear, the procedure is:

                    1. flash the NSLU2 with the Debian Installer image;
                    2. reboot and log in using user name "installer", password "install";
                    3. install Debian (takes around 2 to 3 hours);
                    4. reboot;
                    5. log in using the user name and password you set during the 2 to 3
                    hour installation.

                    Gordon

                    --
                    Gordon Farquharson
                    GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                      <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                      > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:17, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                      > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:
                      >
                      > >> At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
                      > >> will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that
                      you set
                      > >> at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
                      > >> also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use
                      this
                      > >> user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.
                      >
                      > > yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
                      > > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
                      > > nslu2 reset again.
                      >
                      > So, during the installation, did you set a both a root password and a
                      > user name and password? If you did indeed do this, then use either the
                      > root password (with a user name of root) that *you* chose, or the user
                      > name and password that *you* set.
                      >
                      > > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                      > > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                      > > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                      > > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                      > > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@...".
                      > > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                      > > nerver set pass for nslu2.
                      >
                      > If you followed the installation instructions at
                      > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, you would have set at
                      > least a root password. Once Debian is installed, you no longer use
                      > user name "installer" and password "install" to log in. That user name
                      > and password is only used to access the installer, and no longer
                      > exists after the installation is finished. That is, once Debian has
                      > finished installing (it will take around 2 to 3 hours to install), you
                      > log in using the user name and password that you set during the
                      > installation process.
                      >
                      > To be absolutely clear, the procedure is:
                      >
                      > 1. flash the NSLU2 with the Debian Installer image;
                      > 2. reboot and log in using user name "installer", password "install";
                      > 3. install Debian (takes around 2 to 3 hours);
                      > 4. reboot;
                      > 5. log in using the user name and password you set during the 2 to 3
                      > hour installation.
                      >
                      > Gordon
                      >
                      > --
                      > Gordon Farquharson
                      > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                      oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                      for it. Why?
                    • Gordon Farquharson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008

                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                        --
                        Gordon Farquharson
                        GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                          <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                          > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:47, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                          > > for it. Why?

                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                          > --
                          > Gordon Farquharson
                          > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                          before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                          now i can't perfome this action.
                        • Gordon Farquharson
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                            On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:56, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                            > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:47, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> > oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                            >> > for it. Why?
                            >>

                            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode
                            >>
                            >> --
                            >> Gordon Farquharson
                            >> GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                            >>
                            > before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                            > now i can't perfome this action.

                            If anybody is to help you with this problem, you need to provide more
                            information about exactly what you did before the problem occurred,
                            and what you see now. For instance, what are the the colours of the
                            LEDs on the NSLU2? Also, tell people about your system configuration,
                            e.g. do you have your hard drive connected (only relevant if your hard
                            drive is powered over the USB port), how have you got your NSLU2
                            connected to your LAN, etc.

                            Gordon

                            --
                            Gordon Farquharson
                            GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                              <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                              > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:56, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                              > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:

                              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                              > >> --
                              > >> Gordon Farquharson
                              > >> GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                              > >>
                              > > before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                              > > now i can't perfome this action.
                              >
                              > If anybody is to help you with this problem, you need to provide more
                              > information about exactly what you did before the problem occurred,
                              > and what you see now. For instance, what are the the colours of the
                              > LEDs on the NSLU2? Also, tell people about your system configuration,
                              > e.g. do you have your hard drive connected (only relevant if your hard
                              > drive is powered over the USB port), how have you got your NSLU2
                              > connected to your LAN, etc.
                              >
                              > Gordon
                              >
                              > --
                              > Gordon Farquharson
                              > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                              sorry! i have reflash my slug by sercumm utility, and version i
                              upgrade is "Unslung-6.8-beta". After upgrade finish, it reboot and
                              first led is orange, secon led is yellow, with no any device in USB
                              port. After i don't power of it, i unplug power. Follow i restart
                              device and log my slug into upgrade mode, but don't perform this
                              action. Have problem with my slug,...need remove pattery?