Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: About debian!

  • Martin Michlmayr
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
      * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
      > I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...

      Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
      installer is much easier.
      --
      Martin Michlmayr
      http://www.cyrius.com/
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
        On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:52, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
        > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:
        >

        >> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 05:54, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> > I have install debian in my nslu2. I use upgrade utility to upgrade
        >> > for this version.
        >>
        >> Which upgrade utility did you use? Was it 'apt-get dist-upgrade'?

        > No! I use sercumm utility in windown to upgrade debian.

        You need to be more specific for us to be able to help you
        effectively. What image did you upload to the NSLU2 using the Sercomm
        utility? Was it an installer image from slug-firmware.net?

        Gordon

        --
        Gordon Farquharson
        GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

          > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
          > > I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...
          >
          > Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
          > installer is much easier.
          > --
          > Martin Michlmayr
          > http://www.cyrius.com/

          Yes! Before, i have try this method(use installer), but after install
          i can't telnet into nslu2 because pass login invalid, i try with user
          "root" and pass "install", can you help me for pass in this case.
        • Gordon Farquharson
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
            On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:54, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
            > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
            >
            >> I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...
            >
            > Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
            > installer is much easier.

            Martin is correct - use the Debian Installer installation method. It
            is much easier. However, first, I'd suggest flashing the Linksys
            firmware to your NSLU2, and using the web interface to make sure that
            you know that you have your network settings correct. Once you have
            accessed the Linksys firmware web interface, follow Martin's
            instructions at http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html. Pay
            particular attention to the following paragraph in Martin's
            instructions:

            ---
            Please note that if you use a static IP configuration, you have to
            specify all information, including netmask, gateway and DNS. If you
            don't specify all information, debian-installer will not be able to
            bring up the network and there's currently no way to tell the user
            that an error has occurred. An incomplete network configuration has so
            far been the most common reasons for problems with these images, so
            please make sure you have filled in all values.
            ---

            Once you have checked/fixed the network settings, then download the
            Debian installer image from http://www.slug-firmware.net/ and use the
            Sercomm utility to flash that image to the NSLU2.

            Gordon

            --
            Gordon Farquharson
            GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
              On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:59, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
              >> > I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...
              >>
              >> Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
              >> installer is much easier.
              >> --
              >> Martin Michlmayr
              >> http://www.cyrius.com/
              >>

              > Yes! Before, i have try this method(use installer), but after install
              > i can't telnet into nslu2 because pass login invalid, i try with user
              > "root" and pass "install", can you help me for pass in this case.

              At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
              will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
              at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
              also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
              user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.

              Gordon

              --
              Gordon Farquharson
              GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:59, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
                > >>
                > >> Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
                > >> installer is much easier.
                > >> --
                > >> Martin Michlmayr
                > >> http://www.cyrius.com/
                > >>

                > > Yes! Before, i have try this method(use installer), but after install
                > > i can't telnet into nslu2 because pass login invalid, i try with user
                > > "root" and pass "install", can you help me for pass in this case.
                >
                > At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
                > will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
                > at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
                > also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
                > user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.
                >
                > Gordon
                >
                > --
                > Gordon Farquharson
                > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
                http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
                nslu2 reset again.
                after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
                now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                nerver set pass for nslu2.
              • Martin Michlmayr
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                  * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 17:17]:
                  > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                  > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                  > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                  > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                  > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
                  > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                  > nerver set pass for nslu2.

                  The test you're quoting tells you what the password is - install.

                  --
                  Martin Michlmayr
                  http://www.cyrius.com/
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                    > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 17:17]:
                    > > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                    > > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                    > > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                    > > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                    > > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@...".
                    > > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                    > > nerver set pass for nslu2.
                    >
                    > The test you're quoting tells you what the password is - install.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Martin Michlmayr
                    > http://www.cyrius.com/

                    yeah. i try with pass is "install" but it still invalid.
                  • Gordon Farquharson
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                      On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:17, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                      > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                      >> At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
                      >> will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
                      >> at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
                      >> also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
                      >> user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.

                      > yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
                      > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
                      > nslu2 reset again.

                      So, during the installation, did you set a both a root password and a
                      user name and password? If you did indeed do this, then use either the
                      root password (with a user name of root) that *you* chose, or the user
                      name and password that *you* set.

                      > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                      > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                      > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                      > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                      > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
                      > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                      > nerver set pass for nslu2.

                      If you followed the installation instructions at
                      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, you would have set at
                      least a root password. Once Debian is installed, you no longer use
                      user name "installer" and password "install" to log in. That user name
                      and password is only used to access the installer, and no longer
                      exists after the installation is finished. That is, once Debian has
                      finished installing (it will take around 2 to 3 hours to install), you
                      log in using the user name and password that you set during the
                      installation process.

                      To be absolutely clear, the procedure is:

                      1. flash the NSLU2 with the Debian Installer image;
                      2. reboot and log in using user name "installer", password "install";
                      3. install Debian (takes around 2 to 3 hours);
                      4. reboot;
                      5. log in using the user name and password you set during the 2 to 3
                      hour installation.

                      Gordon

                      --
                      Gordon Farquharson
                      GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                        <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                        > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:17, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                        > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:
                        >
                        > >> At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
                        > >> will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that
                        you set
                        > >> at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
                        > >> also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use
                        this
                        > >> user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.
                        >
                        > > yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
                        > > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
                        > > nslu2 reset again.
                        >
                        > So, during the installation, did you set a both a root password and a
                        > user name and password? If you did indeed do this, then use either the
                        > root password (with a user name of root) that *you* chose, or the user
                        > name and password that *you* set.
                        >
                        > > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                        > > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                        > > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                        > > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                        > > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@...".
                        > > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                        > > nerver set pass for nslu2.
                        >
                        > If you followed the installation instructions at
                        > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, you would have set at
                        > least a root password. Once Debian is installed, you no longer use
                        > user name "installer" and password "install" to log in. That user name
                        > and password is only used to access the installer, and no longer
                        > exists after the installation is finished. That is, once Debian has
                        > finished installing (it will take around 2 to 3 hours to install), you
                        > log in using the user name and password that you set during the
                        > installation process.
                        >
                        > To be absolutely clear, the procedure is:
                        >
                        > 1. flash the NSLU2 with the Debian Installer image;
                        > 2. reboot and log in using user name "installer", password "install";
                        > 3. install Debian (takes around 2 to 3 hours);
                        > 4. reboot;
                        > 5. log in using the user name and password you set during the 2 to 3
                        > hour installation.
                        >
                        > Gordon
                        >
                        > --
                        > Gordon Farquharson
                        > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                        oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                        for it. Why?
                      • Gordon Farquharson
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008

                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                          --
                          Gordon Farquharson
                          GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                            <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                            > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:47, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                            > > for it. Why?

                            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                            > --
                            > Gordon Farquharson
                            > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                            before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                            now i can't perfome this action.
                          • Gordon Farquharson
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                              On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:56, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                              > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:47, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> > oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                              >> > for it. Why?
                              >>

                              > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode
                              >>
                              >> --
                              >> Gordon Farquharson
                              >> GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                              >>
                              > before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                              > now i can't perfome this action.

                              If anybody is to help you with this problem, you need to provide more
                              information about exactly what you did before the problem occurred,
                              and what you see now. For instance, what are the the colours of the
                              LEDs on the NSLU2? Also, tell people about your system configuration,
                              e.g. do you have your hard drive connected (only relevant if your hard
                              drive is powered over the USB port), how have you got your NSLU2
                              connected to your LAN, etc.

                              Gordon

                              --
                              Gordon Farquharson
                              GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 3, 2008
                                <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                                > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:56, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                                > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:

                                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                                > >> --
                                > >> Gordon Farquharson
                                > >> GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                                > >>
                                > > before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                                > > now i can't perfome this action.
                                >
                                > If anybody is to help you with this problem, you need to provide more
                                > information about exactly what you did before the problem occurred,
                                > and what you see now. For instance, what are the the colours of the
                                > LEDs on the NSLU2? Also, tell people about your system configuration,
                                > e.g. do you have your hard drive connected (only relevant if your hard
                                > drive is powered over the USB port), how have you got your NSLU2
                                > connected to your LAN, etc.
                                >
                                > Gordon
                                >
                                > --
                                > Gordon Farquharson
                                > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                                sorry! i have reflash my slug by sercumm utility, and version i
                                upgrade is "Unslung-6.8-beta". After upgrade finish, it reboot and
                                first led is orange, secon led is yellow, with no any device in USB
                                port. After i don't power of it, i unplug power. Follow i restart
                                device and log my slug into upgrade mode, but don't perform this
                                action. Have problem with my slug,...need remove pattery?