Re: [nslu2-linux] About memory chips

  • Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3 5:41 AM
      Hi Richard,

      To fatten your slug you should find 16 bits chips like this:

      MT48LC32M16A2 – 8 Meg x 16 x 4 banks from Micron or equivalent from other manufacturers.

      Be carefull the Micron (or any others) 32 Meg x 4 x 4 banks and the 16 Meg x 8 x 4 wont work !

      You can find them on some old high density SDRAM PC 133 memory barrels, 512 MB SINGLE SIDE from TYREX (SDR133)
      or on SQP S-SD512PC133
      You can find also 256MB memory barrels with these type of chips but it MUST have 4 chips only SINGLE SIDE!

      I've found also an SODIMM 512MB with 8 chips reference S160032LLTK-75A from SPECTEK which should be fine, but I've not yet tested it on my second slug I received recently.

      Good luck in your fattenization...
      Best regards
      pf / F5BQP
      (Pierre-Francois)

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3 6:00 AM
        Hi again Richard,

        I've forgotten to tell you that you can find PC133 barrels with 64M chips ant it wont work either!

        If you don't find used the good memory barrels on ebay WITH A LOT OF PATIENCE you can find the Micron chips at Digikeys.
        Go to the Micron to get the datasheet and go to Digikey web site, it's more expensive but immediate...

        Best regards
        pf

        I've just bought a NSLU2 and currently now I've a Debian inside and
        also it's overclocked, so I wanna make the next step: to fatten it.

        But I have a serious difficulty with the memory chips, I have found
        anywhere the chips, neither in PC133 SDRAM neither chips alone.

        Also I'm looking for a 1GB PC133 with 16 chips, so it'll have 32Mx16,
        won't it?

        Anyway, some of you guys know where the hell can I find these kind of
        chips??

        Thanks in advance,
        Richard

        __________ Information NOD32 3410 (20080903) __________

        Ce message a ete verifie par NOD32 Antivirus System.
        http://www.nod32.com
      • jean jacques goesens
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3 11:44 AM
          Hi Richard, Hi Pierre-Francois

          The best is to get the reference of the chips (not the sdram because with the same pn or ref, it may be built differently with either 4, 8, or 16 bits chips)
          With the chips ref it is easy to get the datasheets and check the bus width.
          It is always difficult to ask to people on ebay to give the chips information, very often they give you the label content !
          I agree with Pierre-François, you have to be patient and consult regulary ebay list in order to detect potentially good barrels...

          Pierre-francois:  my new "lab" is on the good way.. I already started installation, so i will be able to work again on NSLU2s and (many) others things...

          Jean Jacques

          Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm) a écrit :

[...]

          Orange vous informe que cet e-mail a été contrôlé par l'anti-virus mail.
          Aucun virus connu à ce jour par nos services n'a été détecté.

          Antivirus avast!: message Entrant sain.

          Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080903-0, 03/09/2008
          Analyse le : 03/09/2008 18:43:08

        • Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3 1:01 PM
            Hi Richard and JJ,

            Yes JJ is right however the Micron P/N I gave you is the good one to fatten your slug. You can see the two others ref numbers for the 4 and 8 bits memories which cannot work to fatten the rig.
            You'll have the Micron datasheet here:
            I've checked their sample program, the mem chip cost $23.74 per chip. It's not free like other vendors providing samples. Too bad...

            JJ: GOOD! Please send me a picture of your new beauty!... ;-))

            Best regards
            pf

            __________ Information NOD32 3411 (20080903) __________