Re: [nslu2-linux] About debian!

  • Martin Michlmayr
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3 5:36 AM
      * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 11:54]:
      > I have install debian in my nslu2. I use upgrade utility to upgrade
      > for this version.
      > After upgrade, i can't telnet to nslu2, i have use winscp to connect
      > nslu2, but everything i do still not respone. I use hostname is
      > 192.168.1.77 and pass is root, because follow instruction install
      > debian if you complete upgrade so pass is "root".

      If you installed the Debian installer, you have to connect as
      installer with the password install

      Which image did you upgrade to exactly?
      --
      Martin Michlmayr
      http://www.cyrius.com/
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 3 5:58 AM
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

        > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 11:54]:
        > > I have install debian in my nslu2. I use upgrade utility to
        upgrade
        > > for this version.
        > > After upgrade, i can't telnet to nslu2, i have use winscp to
        connect
        > > nslu2, but everything i do still not respone. I use hostname is
        > > 192.168.1.77 and pass is root, because follow instruction install
        > > debian if you complete upgrade so pass is "root".
        >
        > If you installed the Debian installer, you have to connect as
        > installer with the password install
        >
        > Which image did you upgrade to exactly?
        > --
        > Martin Michlmayr
        > http://www.cyrius.com/

        no no! i need password for debian install by manual method.
        in this case i have try with pass is root, have any pass for this
        case?
      • Martin Michlmayr
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3 6:54 AM
          * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 12:58]:
          > no no! i need password for debian install by manual method.
          > in this case i have try with pass is root, have any pass for this
          > case?

          Yeah, root/root in this case, but iirc the manual methods always does
          DHCP. So maybe you have the wrong IP address - check on your DHCP
          server.
          --
          Martin Michlmayr
          http://www.cyrius.com/
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 3 7:44 AM
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

            > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 12:58]:
            > > no no! i need password for debian install by manual method.
            > > in this case i have try with pass is root, have any pass for this
            > > case?
            >
            > Yeah, root/root in this case, but iirc the manual methods always does
            > DHCP. So maybe you have the wrong IP address - check on your DHCP
            > server.
            > --
            > Martin Michlmayr
            > http://www.cyrius.com/

            Hic! So what could i do to now. I have set IP at two case.
            Firt, i chose DHCP for my network, and i ping to 192.168.1.77 but
            this action is not respone, and not connect with winscp.
            After, i set IP for my network connect is IP: 192.168.1.2
            Subnet: 255.255.255.0
            gateway: 192.168.1.100
            But! i still not connect with winscp, in winscp i set follow:
            Host :192.168.1.77
            User :root
            pass :root
            i don't know what thing i miss.
            May be, i don't know connect with debian during winscp, can you help
            clealy in this case, about set IP in my network connect, user login
            or password for winscp,etc..etc. Please.
          • Martin Michlmayr
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 3 7:52 AM
              * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 14:44]:
              > But! i still not connect with winscp, in winscp i set follow:
              > Host :192.168.1.77

              As I tried to say, the manual installation of Debian/NSLU2 is
              configured to use DHCP, not the static address 192.168.1.77.
              If you have a DHCP server on your network, check your DHCP server to
              see what IP address it gave to the NSLU2. If you don't have a DHCP
              server on your network, your NSLU2 will not be on the network.
              You can change /etc/network/interfaces on your NSLU2 USB disk to
              configure a static network.

              Replace the line
              iface eth0 inet dhcp

              with:

              iface eth0 inet static
              address 192.168.1.77
              netmask 255.255.255.0
              network 192.168.1.0
              broadcast 192.168.1.255
              gateway 192.168.1.100

              --
              Martin Michlmayr
              http://www.cyrius.com/
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 3 9:15 AM
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 14:44]:
                > > But! i still not connect with winscp, in winscp i set follow:
                > > Host :192.168.1.77
                >
                > As I tried to say, the manual installation of Debian/NSLU2 is
                > configured to use DHCP, not the static address 192.168.1.77.
                > If you have a DHCP server on your network, check your DHCP server to
                > see what IP address it gave to the NSLU2. If you don't have a DHCP
                > server on your network, your NSLU2 will not be on the network.
                > You can change /etc/network/interfaces on your NSLU2 USB disk to
                > configure a static network.
                >
                > Replace the line
                > iface eth0 inet dhcp
                >
                > with:
                >
                > iface eth0 inet static
                > address 192.168.1.77
                > netmask 255.255.255.0
                > network 192.168.1.0
                > broadcast 192.168.1.255
                > gateway 192.168.1.100
                >
                > --
                > Martin Michlmayr
                > http://www.cyrius.com/

                Dear Martin Michlmayr.
                Thank you for helpful about this problem.
                I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...
                At this time i have reflash my nslu2 more than 10 times, i don't
                know, i do this have make destroy my nslu2?
                So! now if i want to connect debian/nslu2 from windown, what would i
                do to now?
                this mean: i connect nslu2 by winscp to perform something. how to do
                this case.
                please!
              • Gordon Farquharson
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 3 9:43 AM
                  On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 05:54, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:

                  > I have install debian in my nslu2. I use upgrade utility to upgrade
                  > for this version.

                  Which upgrade utility did you use? Was it 'apt-get dist-upgrade'?

                  Gordon

                  --
                  Gordon Farquharson
                  GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 3 9:52 AM
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                    <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                    > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 05:54, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have install debian in my nslu2. I use upgrade utility to upgrade
                    > > for this version.
                    >
                    > Which upgrade utility did you use? Was it 'apt-get dist-upgrade'?
                    >
                    > Gordon
                    >
                    > --
                    > Gordon Farquharson
                    > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                    No! I use sercumm utility in windown to upgrade debian.
                  • Gordon Farquharson
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 3 9:53 AM
                      On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:15, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:

                      > Thank you for helpful about this problem.
                      > I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...
                      > At this time i have reflash my nslu2 more than 10 times, i don't
                      > know, i do this have make destroy my nslu2?

                      The flash memory in the NSLU2 can be flashed 100000 times, so I
                      wouldn't worry about damaging it.

                      Gordon

                      --
                      Gordon Farquharson
                      GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 3 9:54 AM
                        * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
                        > I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...

                        Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
                        installer is much easier.
                        --
                        Martin Michlmayr
                        http://www.cyrius.com/
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 3 9:55 AM
                          On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:52, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                          > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 05:54, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> > I have install debian in my nslu2. I use upgrade utility to upgrade
                          >> > for this version.
                          >>
                          >> Which upgrade utility did you use? Was it 'apt-get dist-upgrade'?

                          > No! I use sercumm utility in windown to upgrade debian.

                          You need to be more specific for us to be able to help you
                          effectively. What image did you upload to the NSLU2 using the Sercomm
                          utility? Was it an installer image from slug-firmware.net?

                          Gordon

                          --
                          Gordon Farquharson
                          GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 3 9:59 AM
                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                            > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
                            > > I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...
                            >
                            > Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
                            > installer is much easier.
                            > --
                            > Martin Michlmayr
                            > http://www.cyrius.com/

                            Yes! Before, i have try this method(use installer), but after install
                            i can't telnet into nslu2 because pass login invalid, i try with user
                            "root" and pass "install", can you help me for pass in this case.
                          • Gordon Farquharson
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 3 10:04 AM
                              On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:54, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
                              > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
                              >
                              >> I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...
                              >
                              > Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
                              > installer is much easier.

                              Martin is correct - use the Debian Installer installation method. It
                              is much easier. However, first, I'd suggest flashing the Linksys
                              firmware to your NSLU2, and using the web interface to make sure that
                              you know that you have your network settings correct. Once you have
                              accessed the Linksys firmware web interface, follow Martin's
                              instructions at http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html. Pay
                              particular attention to the following paragraph in Martin's
                              instructions:

                              ---
                              Please note that if you use a static IP configuration, you have to
                              specify all information, including netmask, gateway and DNS. If you
                              don't specify all information, debian-installer will not be able to
                              bring up the network and there's currently no way to tell the user
                              that an error has occurred. An incomplete network configuration has so
                              far been the most common reasons for problems with these images, so
                              please make sure you have filled in all values.
                              ---

                              Once you have checked/fixed the network settings, then download the
                              Debian installer image from http://www.slug-firmware.net/ and use the
                              Sercomm utility to flash that image to the NSLU2.

                              Gordon

                              --
                              Gordon Farquharson
                              GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 3 10:06 AM
                                On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:59, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
                                >> > I have tried with method you say, but still connect nslu2...
                                >>
                                >> Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
                                >> installer is much easier.
                                >> --
                                >> Martin Michlmayr
                                >> http://www.cyrius.com/
                                >>

                                > Yes! Before, i have try this method(use installer), but after install
                                > i can't telnet into nslu2 because pass login invalid, i try with user
                                > "root" and pass "install", can you help me for pass in this case.

                                At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
                                will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
                                at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
                                also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
                                user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.

                                Gordon

                                --
                                Gordon Farquharson
                                GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 3 10:17 AM
                                  <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                                  > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:59, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@> wrote:
                                  > >>
                                  > >> * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@> [2008-09-03 16:15]:
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Why don't you use the installer rathen than the manual method? The
                                  > >> installer is much easier.
                                  > >> --
                                  > >> Martin Michlmayr
                                  > >> http://www.cyrius.com/
                                  > >>

                                  > > Yes! Before, i have try this method(use installer), but after install
                                  > > i can't telnet into nslu2 because pass login invalid, i try with user
                                  > > "root" and pass "install", can you help me for pass in this case.
                                  >
                                  > At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
                                  > will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
                                  > at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
                                  > also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
                                  > user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.
                                  >
                                  > Gordon
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Gordon Farquharson
                                  > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                                  yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
                                  http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
                                  nslu2 reset again.
                                  after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                                  that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                                  since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                                  installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                                  is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
                                  now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                                  nerver set pass for nslu2.
                                • Martin Michlmayr
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 3 10:25 AM
                                    * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 17:17]:
                                    > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                                    > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                                    > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                                    > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                                    > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
                                    > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                                    > nerver set pass for nslu2.

                                    The test you're quoting tells you what the password is - install.

                                    --
                                    Martin Michlmayr
                                    http://www.cyrius.com/
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 3 10:30 AM
                                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                                      > * phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> [2008-09-03 17:17]:
                                      > > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                                      > > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                                      > > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                                      > > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                                      > > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@...".
                                      > > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                                      > > nerver set pass for nslu2.
                                      >
                                      > The test you're quoting tells you what the password is - install.
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Martin Michlmayr
                                      > http://www.cyrius.com/

                                      yeah. i try with pass is "install" but it still invalid.
                                    • Gordon Farquharson
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 3 10:32 AM
                                        On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:17, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                                        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                                        > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                                        >> At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
                                        >> will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that you set
                                        >> at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
                                        >> also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use this
                                        >> user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.

                                        > yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
                                        > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
                                        > nslu2 reset again.

                                        So, during the installation, did you set a both a root password and a
                                        user name and password? If you did indeed do this, then use either the
                                        root password (with a user name of root) that *you* chose, or the user
                                        name and password that *you* set.

                                        > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                                        > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                                        > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                                        > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                                        > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@192.168.1.77".
                                        > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                                        > nerver set pass for nslu2.

                                        If you followed the installation instructions at
                                        http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, you would have set at
                                        least a root password. Once Debian is installed, you no longer use
                                        user name "installer" and password "install" to log in. That user name
                                        and password is only used to access the installer, and no longer
                                        exists after the installation is finished. That is, once Debian has
                                        finished installing (it will take around 2 to 3 hours to install), you
                                        log in using the user name and password that you set during the
                                        installation process.

                                        To be absolutely clear, the procedure is:

                                        1. flash the NSLU2 with the Debian Installer image;
                                        2. reboot and log in using user name "installer", password "install";
                                        3. install Debian (takes around 2 to 3 hours);
                                        4. reboot;
                                        5. log in using the user name and password you set during the 2 to 3
                                        hour installation.

                                        Gordon

                                        --
                                        Gordon Farquharson
                                        GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 3 10:47 AM
                                          <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                                          > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:17, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                                          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                                          > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > >> At some stage during the installation process with the installer, it
                                          > >> will have asked you for a root password. Use the password that
                                          you set
                                          > >> at this stage of the installation process. The installer should have
                                          > >> also asked you to set up a user with a password. You can also use
                                          this
                                          > >> user name and password to ssh to the NSLU2.
                                          >
                                          > > yeah. i have install debian with installer method by web interfaces:
                                          > > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, after install my
                                          > > nslu2 reset again.
                                          >
                                          > So, during the installation, did you set a both a root password and a
                                          > user name and password? If you did indeed do this, then use either the
                                          > root password (with a user name of root) that *you* chose, or the user
                                          > name and password that *you* set.
                                          >
                                          > > after, i doing to follow instruction of it. it is "Please make sure
                                          > > that the NSLU2 is on a local network to which only you have access
                                          > > since the password from the NSLU2 firmware is not used for the
                                          > > installer but rather the the very generic password install. The user
                                          > > is installer. Connect to the installer: ssh installer@...".
                                          > > now it ask me pass word, i don't know this problem. becase before i
                                          > > nerver set pass for nslu2.
                                          >
                                          > If you followed the installation instructions at
                                          > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html, you would have set at
                                          > least a root password. Once Debian is installed, you no longer use
                                          > user name "installer" and password "install" to log in. That user name
                                          > and password is only used to access the installer, and no longer
                                          > exists after the installation is finished. That is, once Debian has
                                          > finished installing (it will take around 2 to 3 hours to install), you
                                          > log in using the user name and password that you set during the
                                          > installation process.
                                          >
                                          > To be absolutely clear, the procedure is:
                                          >
                                          > 1. flash the NSLU2 with the Debian Installer image;
                                          > 2. reboot and log in using user name "installer", password "install";
                                          > 3. install Debian (takes around 2 to 3 hours);
                                          > 4. reboot;
                                          > 5. log in using the user name and password you set during the 2 to 3
                                          > hour installation.
                                          >
                                          > Gordon
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > Gordon Farquharson
                                          > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                                          oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                                          for it. Why?
                                        • Gordon Farquharson
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 3 10:52 AM

                                            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                                            --
                                            Gordon Farquharson
                                            GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 3 10:56 AM
                                              <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                                              > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:47, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                                              > > for it. Why?

                                              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                                              > --
                                              > Gordon Farquharson
                                              > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                                              before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                                              now i can't perfome this action.
                                            • Gordon Farquharson
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 3 11:09 AM
                                                On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:56, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                                                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                                                > <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:
                                                >>
                                                >> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:47, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                                                >>
                                                >> > oh no! I think have a problem with my nslu2, now i can't upgrade mode
                                                >> > for it. Why?
                                                >>

                                                > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode
                                                >>
                                                >> --
                                                >> Gordon Farquharson
                                                >> GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                                                >>
                                                > before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                                                > now i can't perfome this action.

                                                If anybody is to help you with this problem, you need to provide more
                                                information about exactly what you did before the problem occurred,
                                                and what you see now. For instance, what are the the colours of the
                                                LEDs on the NSLU2? Also, tell people about your system configuration,
                                                e.g. do you have your hard drive connected (only relevant if your hard
                                                drive is powered over the USB port), how have you got your NSLU2
                                                connected to your LAN, etc.

                                                Gordon

                                                --
                                                Gordon Farquharson
                                                GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 3 11:24 AM
                                                  <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                                                  > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:56, phiho_251286 <phiho_251286@...> wrote:
                                                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                                                  > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:

                                                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

                                                  > >> --
                                                  > >> Gordon Farquharson
                                                  > >> GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                                                  > >>
                                                  > > before, i still log into upgrade mode my slug by this method, suddeny
                                                  > > now i can't perfome this action.
                                                  >
                                                  > If anybody is to help you with this problem, you need to provide more
                                                  > information about exactly what you did before the problem occurred,
                                                  > and what you see now. For instance, what are the the colours of the
                                                  > LEDs on the NSLU2? Also, tell people about your system configuration,
                                                  > e.g. do you have your hard drive connected (only relevant if your hard
                                                  > drive is powered over the USB port), how have you got your NSLU2
                                                  > connected to your LAN, etc.
                                                  >
                                                  > Gordon
                                                  >
                                                  > --
                                                  > Gordon Farquharson
                                                  > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

                                                  sorry! i have reflash my slug by sercumm utility, and version i
                                                  upgrade is "Unslung-6.8-beta". After upgrade finish, it reboot and
                                                  first led is orange, secon led is yellow, with no any device in USB
                                                  port. After i don't power of it, i unplug power. Follow i restart
                                                  device and log my slug into upgrade mode, but don't perform this
                                                  action. Have problem with my slug,...need remove pattery?