SlugOS BE install, but root is not on USB Stick

  • sp00nage
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2008
      Hi All,

      I have been lurking in this list for a few weeks now but this is my
      first post. I recently used a SLUG running asterisk to solve an
      interoperability problem I had for a client, who now have all of their
      phone calls running through the slug across some SIP trunks, so I am
      very happy with the great work people have done to make this possible.

      I have a problem with my next slug though - I have installed SlugOS
      BE, and run turnup memstick, but then when I rebooted and tried to
      install the asterisk package, it appears that the slug is not mounting
      the USB stick as root, but in /dev/media/, resulting in me running out
      of disk space on the internal flash when trying to install asterisk.
      How do I fix this so that the USB stick is mounted as root?

      Thanks,

      Scotty
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2008
        sp00nage wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >

        > I have been lurking in this list for a few weeks now but this is my
        > first post. I recently used a SLUG running asterisk to solve an
        > interoperability problem I had for a client, who now have all of their
        > phone calls running through the slug across some SIP trunks, so I am
        > very happy with the great work people have done to make this possible.
        >
        > I have a problem with my next slug though - I have installed SlugOS
        > BE, and run turnup memstick, but then when I rebooted and tried to
        > install the asterisk package, it appears that the slug is not mounting
        > the USB stick as root, but in /dev/media/, resulting in me running out
        > of disk space on the internal flash when trying to install asterisk.
        > How do I fix this so that the USB stick is mounted as root?

        I presume that when you boot it, it issues the sad double-beep during
        boot, right?

        When you ran "turnup memstick -i /dev/sda1", the NSLU2 was set up so
        that it would attempt to mount that device and use it as the root
        filesystem. The most likely reason for it to fail to do so is if the
        memory stick is not ready fast enough. A time-delay can be set with the
        turnup command -- try increasing the value (doubling it wouldn't be a
        bad idea. Since you have already prepared the memory stick (the -i
        option), you don't have to provide that option again -- just boot the
        NSLU2 without the memory stick, plug it in, wait until it is mounted,
        then re-issue the turnup command without the -i option, and with the
        option to specify a larger time delay at boot.

        Mike (mwester)