root access to share on disk 1

  • raspden
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi there,

      I have a system that is unslung to a memory stick on disk 2. Disk 1 is
      a large data hard drive which I use for many things including backup
      of disk 2. I have mounted disk 1 to /share/media01. When I do an rsync
      across I frequently get errors like the following:

      rsync: chown "/share/media01/backup/etc/sysconfig" failed: Operation
      not permitted (1)

      As I understand it these errors occur because when root accesses the
      share on disk 1 they only have guest permissions. I created the
      directory 'backup' from the command line and it says guest is the
      owner of the directory. Given that the files I am rsyncing are all
      owned by root I really need to set the 'backup' folder on disk 1 to be
      owned by root.

      I have tried using:
      chown -R root backup

      But it won't le me:

      chown: backup: Operation not permitted

      I'm a bit stuck as it seems the shares are created via the linksys
      interface but the root user is only accessible through ssh.

      Can someone help me set the permissions so that root has full access
      of disk 1 and can create, delete, and own files and folders as
      themselves and not as guest.

      Many thanks.