Re: Boot Trouble and Boot Speed

  • gr8npwrfl
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
      The boot problem occurs when I have the system running and either tell
      the system to shutdown or I press the front panel button.

      I leave the wall mount transformer plugged into the unit and come back
      later or the next day to boot.

      I press the front panel button and the system hangs with the status
      ready light at yellow and the network light at green.

      I pull the power plug from the NSLU2 and plug it back in immediately
      and press the front power button to start the system up. It then
      continues a normal boot with no problems.

      If I leave the power plug disconnected for an extended time, plug it
      in and press the front power button to boot. It will hang with the
      yellow/green status. Unplug and plug in the power and hit the front
      panel switch it will boot properly.

      If it occurred in stock linksys software I would then tend to believe it
      would be in the reset circuit. But since it only happens in uNSLUng it
      has me stymied.

      When I said before it happened both slung and unslung I was saying
      that it is not my external micro drive that is causing the problem.
    • Ian Key
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2008

        >The boot problem occurs when I have the system running and either tell
        >the system to shutdown or I press the front panel button.
        >
        >I leave the wall mount transformer plugged into the unit and come >back later or the next day to boot.
        >
        >I press the front panel button and the system hangs with the status
        >ready light at yellow and the network light at green.
        >
        >I pull the power plug from the NSLU2 and plug it back in immediately
        >and press the front power button to start the system up. It then
        >continues a normal boot with no problems.
        >
        >If I leave the power plug disconnected for an extended time, plug it
        >in and press the front power button to boot. It will hang with the
        >yellow/green status. Unplug and plug in the power and hit the front
        >panel switch it will boot properly.
        >
        >If it occurred in stock linksys software I would then tend to believe it
        >would be in the reset circuit. But since it only happens in uNSLUng it
        >has me stymied.
        >
        >When I said before it happened both slung and unslung I was saying
        >that it is not my external micro drive that is causing the problem.

        Could it be the microdrive is taking time to spin-up? When Unslung, the drive isn't ready and the boot process hangs and never recovers. By powering off and on quickly and the drive is ready (having spun up on the failed boot process)?

        You wouldn't see the problem with the Linksys firmware as it may not access the drive for booting up......

        Ian

        Not happy with your email address?
        Get the one youreally want - millions of new email addresses available now at Yahoo!