Web-hosting on an NSLU2 - what steps need to be carried out exactly?

  • newbie2linux
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm new to all of this even though I'd unslung my NSLU2 2 1/2 years ago.

      The version of unslung that I'm using is v5.5
      (v.2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta) and I'd like to be able to use my NSLU2 as
      a low-power web-server for a personal web-page however I'm afraid that
      I do not know what exactly needs to be done in order to do this.

      I've installed Apache via ipkg install apache and confirmed that the
      Apache holding page appears on http:192.168.1.x:8000 but this is where
      I'm now stuck/confused as to what needs to be done next.

      I'm unable to telnet into my Slug for some reason or another even
      though telnet has been switched on via /Management/telnet.cgi

      I'd like to know what needs to be installed exactly and how I can go
      about FTP'ing to my NSLU2 (that is if FTP'ing is recommended).

      Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Please bear with me as I am
      an NSLU2 and Linux newbie.
    • olangelsa
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2008
        Hello,

        I am a pretty new at this myself, but I have the same requirements as
        you describe, and have found myself a working solution.

        I also investigated Apache, but I learned that it taxes system
        resources pretty heavy. Considering the NSLU has limited resources I
        decided to go for using the built in thttpd server instead. By
        installing packages php-thttpd and php, although I think package php
        is not necessary, the webserver handles both .cgi and .php pages.

        It works very well, now my NSLU is running two web servers. The
        default, providing the linksys interface is running at port 80, while
        the one I defined is running at 8080. By using dynamic dns and
        portmapping in my router, my website is available at port 80 from the
        internet.

        I think I used the following link for advice on how to set it up:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheThttpdWebserver

        To administer the NSLU I use openssh, much better than telnet; more
        secure and you can use applications like nano too.

        Hope this can be of some help

        I am running Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta

        Best regards,

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "newbie2linux" <newbie2linux@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm new to all of this even though I'd unslung my NSLU2 2 1/2 years ago.
        >
        > The version of unslung that I'm using is v5.5
        > (v.2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta) and I'd like to be able to use my NSLU2 as
        > a low-power web-server for a personal web-page however I'm afraid that
        > I do not know what exactly needs to be done in order to do this.
        >
        > I've installed Apache via ipkg install apache and confirmed that the
        > Apache holding page appears on http:192.168.1.x:8000 but this is where
        > I'm now stuck/confused as to what needs to be done next.
        >
        > I'm unable to telnet into my Slug for some reason or another even
        > though telnet has been switched on via /Management/telnet.cgi
        >
        > I'd like to know what needs to be installed exactly and how I can go
        > about FTP'ing to my NSLU2 (that is if FTP'ing is recommended).
        >
        > Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Please bear with me as I am
        > an NSLU2 and Linux newbie.

      • dystopianrebel
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 10, 2008
          wrote:

          > (v.2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta) and I'd like to be able to use my NSLU2 as
          > a low-power web-server for a personal web-page

          > I'd like to know what needs to be installed exactly and how I can go
          > about FTP'ing to my NSLU2 (that is if FTP'ing is recommended).

          I use Lighttpd on my NSLU2 running SLUGOS/BE. I am currently using the
          older 3.10 release -- I need to upgrade at some point.

          I also have Perl, Ruby, and PHP installed.

          I don't use FTP because SSH is built in, so I use SCP instead. This
          meets my needs. If you really need FTP, there must be an ftpd in the
          packages for Unslung.
        • newbie2linux
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 10, 2008
            Hi,

            Many thanks for your reply.

            Since posting here I can confirm that I've unslung my NSLU2 again (had
            forgotten telnet password so was a nightmare in fairness however
            persistence has paid off thankfully and my NSLU2 is now hosting a
            home-brew web-site ). Not configured port-forwarding nor DNS settings
            though so web-site isn't internet facing so to speak.

            I'd installed Apache and this needs to be deleted due to this being
            heavy on resources on an NSLU2 as you have said.

            The thttp web-server is what is in use and this seems to work okay.
            Initially was running on port 80 (in error) and unslung homepage along
            with all of the configuration pages disappeared however they're back
            since changed to port 81. The stylesheet did not seem to be working
            properly however this was a browser cache issue.

            Am really pleased that I've managed to get a completely solid-state
            web-server up and running even though not internet facing at this
            stage. Once port forwarding and DNS has been addressed it should be
            all up and running as I'd wanted.

            No doubt there are several tweeks that are required in order to make
            the whole set-up secure though - Any suggestions here would be
            appreciated.

            Thank you :)

            Best Regards.

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "olangelsa" <olangela@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I am a pretty new at this myself, but I have the same requirements as
            > you describe, and have found myself a working solution.
            >
            > I also investigated Apache, but I learned that it taxes system
            > resources pretty heavy. Considering the NSLU has limited resources I
            > decided to go for using the built in thttpd server instead. By
            > installing packages php-thttpd and php, although I think package php
            > is not necessary, the webserver handles both .cgi and .php pages.
            >
            > It works very well, now my NSLU is running two web servers. The
            > default, providing the linksys interface is running at port 80, while
            > the one I defined is running at 8080. By using dynamic dns and
            > portmapping in my router, my website is available at port 80 from the
            > internet.
            >
            > I think I used the following link for advice on how to set it up:
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheThttpdWebserver
            >
            > To administer the NSLU I use openssh, much better than telnet; more
            > secure and you can use applications like nano too.
            >
            > Hope this can be of some help
            >
            > I am running Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "newbie2linux" <newbie2linux@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I'm new to all of this even though I'd unslung my NSLU2 2 1/2
            years ago.

            > > The version of unslung that I'm using is v5.5
            > > (v.2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta) and I'd like to be able to use my NSLU2 as
            > > a low-power web-server for a personal web-page however I'm afraid that
            > > I do not know what exactly needs to be done in order to do this.
            > >
            > > I've installed Apache via ipkg install apache and confirmed that the
            > > Apache holding page appears on http:192.168.1.x:8000 but this is where
            > > I'm now stuck/confused as to what needs to be done next.
            > >
            > > I'm unable to telnet into my Slug for some reason or another even
            > > though telnet has been switched on via /Management/telnet.cgi
            > >
            > > I'd like to know what needs to be installed exactly and how I can go
            > > about FTP'ing to my NSLU2 (that is if FTP'ing is recommended).
            > >
            > > Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Please bear with me as I am
            > > an NSLU2 and Linux newbie.

          • olangelsa
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2008
              Hello again,

              Glad to hear you got it working.

              My understanding, and I emphasize my understanding, is that the thttpd
              is pretty secure in regard to hacking by default.

              But I think it might be a good idea to run the httpd that will
              interface with the internet in a chrootjail, in order to increase the
              overall security. I think this link will be of some help >>>
              http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/thttpd_man.html

              In addition, it might be a good idea to place a index file in all
              directories in order to prevent directory browsing. You can also use
              php in this index file to redirect to a page of your choice.

              Anyone else got some ideas on how to harden the security on the thttpd
              server? In that regard, does anyone know how to stop the samba server,
              as this is not required for a unslung providing only web services
              (using sftp for file transfers).

              wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > The version of unslung that I'm using is v5.5
              > > > (v.2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta) and I'd like to be able to use my
              NSLU2 as
              > > > a low-power web-server for a personal web-page however I'm
              afraid that
              > > > I do not know what exactly needs to be done in order to do this.
              > > >
              > > > I've installed Apache via ipkg install apache and confirmed that the
              > > > Apache holding page appears on http:192.168.1.x:8000 but this is
              where
              > > > I'm now stuck/confused as to what needs to be done next.
              > > >
              > > > I'm unable to telnet into my Slug for some reason or another even
              > > > though telnet has been switched on via /Management/telnet.cgi
              > > >
              > > > I'd like to know what needs to be installed exactly and how I can go
              > > > about FTP'ing to my NSLU2 (that is if FTP'ing is recommended).
              > > >
              > > > Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Please bear with me as

            • jmir_po
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 18, 2008
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dystopianrebel"
                <dystopianrebel@...> wrote:

                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "newbie2linux" <newbie2linux@>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > (v.2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta) and I'd like to be able to use my NSLU2 as
                > > a low-power web-server for a personal web-page
                >
                > > I'd like to know what needs to be installed exactly and how I can go
                > > about FTP'ing to my NSLU2 (that is if FTP'ing is recommended).
                >
                > I use Lighttpd on my NSLU2 running SLUGOS/BE. I am currently using the
                > older 3.10 release -- I need to upgrade at some point.
                >
                > I also have Perl, Ruby, and PHP installed.
                >
                > I don't use FTP because SSH is built in, so I use SCP instead. This
                > meets my needs. If you really need FTP, there must be an ftpd in the
                > packages for Unslung.

                Hi, all!
                I've been folowing the thread and would like to ask you folks advice
                on how to install properly webserver lighttpd and php-fcgi on my Slug
                (unSlung v.5.5 beta; I am having trouble setting it and the wiki pages
                are not totally clear...
                Thanks in advance
                John
              • dystopianrebel
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jmir_po" <j-mir@...> wrote:
                  > I've been folowing the thread and would like to ask you folks advice
                  > on how to install properly webserver lighttpd and php-fcgi on my Slug
                  > (unSlung v.5.5 beta; I am having trouble setting it and the wiki pages
                  > are not totally clear...

                  What is the problem? What have you configured so far? You need to
                  enable the module and add a handler for PHP files in the lighttpd
                  configuration file.