Samba file transfer creates zone identifier files...

  • doll_oliver
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "doll_oliver" wrote:
      > When I logged into
      > the Slug I found that when I copied a file with the file name - let's
      > say "myfile.txt" to my network share that not only that file got
      > created but also a second one with the file name
      > "myfile.txt:Zone.Identifier:$DATA"
      >
      > So I decide to restore my backup before the upgrade and I returned to
      > 3.0.28a-1 ...

      I tried to look for the reason why these files get created since I
      upgraded to samba 3.2. Searching the web I found the info [1] that one
      should add

      veto files = /*.Zone.Identifier:*/

      to the GLOBAL section in samba config file, but frankly this looks
      more like a workaround to me!?

      When looking at the samba 3.2 release notes I guess this behavior had
      been introced by one of the two features?

      o Support for storing alternate data streams in xattrs.
      o Encrypted SMB transport in client tools and libraries, and server.

      Unfortunately the Search function is currently not working on the
      samba.org site(s).
      --
      thx & cheers
      Oliver

      [1]
      http://forums.opensuse.org/network-internet/387779-samba-file-transfer-creates-zone-identifier-files.html
    • doll_oliver
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "doll_oliver" wrote:
        > Unfortunately the Search function is currently not working on the
        > samba.org site(s).

        think I found it as being caused a bug in the 3.2 release
        --
        thx & cheers
        Oliver

        [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/samba@.../msg94691.html
      • Brian Zhou
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
          Hi Oliver,

          Thanks for the problem report and investigation.

          Samba 3.2.1 has just been released and supposedly include this fix. I
          upgraded optware samba package to 3.2.1 after testing that I can
          connect to a share on unslung. It probably would take a few hours
          before the new ipk reach the feed.

          Cheers,

          -Brian

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 9, 2008
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" wrote:
            > Thanks for the problem report and investigation.

            np

            > Samba 3.2.1 has just been released and supposedly include this fix. I
            > upgraded optware samba package to 3.2.1 after testing that I can
            > connect to a share on unslung. It probably would take a few hours
            > before the new ipk reach the feed.

            thx for this. I was able to update my Slug with your update this
            morning and everything looks fine, now.
            --
            thx & cheers
            Oliver

            PS: the issue with SWAT persists: it still reports smbd and nmbd as
            "not running" though it's properly listing the active connection &
            shares and the open files.
          • doll_oliver
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 21, 2008
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "doll_oliver" wrote:
              > [...] But my latest status is:
              >
              > Either I upgrade to Samba 3.2 with or without using xinted
              > making the changes mentioned above SWAT's status page lists
              >
              > smbd: not running
              > nmbd: not running
              >
              > though samba is running and the pages lists open connections,
              > shares and files. [...]

              I think I finally got SWAT working on the Unslung image, again:
              Beside the IP range of the local ethernet interface which needed to be
              added to the smb.conf ("interfaces = <myEth-IP>, ipx0, lo") config I
              also added 127.0.0.1/24.

              Now, /opt/bin/nmblookup -A localhost.
              Looking up status of 127.0.0.1
              NLSU2 <00> - H <ACTIVE>
              NSLU2 <03> - H <ACTIVE>
              NSLU2 <20> - H <ACTIVE>
              ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>
              MY_DOMAIN <1d> - H <ACTIVE>
              MY_DOMAIN <1b> - H <ACTIVE>
              MY_DOMAIN <1c> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>
              MY_DOMAIN <1e> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>
              MY_DOMAIN <00> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>

              MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

              works again. I guess the translation of "ipx0" and "lo" got broken on
              Unslung for samba 3.2+!?
              --
              thx & cheers
              Oliver