Re: Boot Trouble and Boot Speed

  • gr8npwrfl
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008

      > You probably need to specify a larger mount delay for the microdrive to
      > spin up - it will be slower than a flash disk.
      >
      > -- Rod

      Problem happens with or without the disk. It will happen even if I
      unplug the usb cable to the disk. It happens even when I use a high
      grade usb stick also.
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
        Roger Gilbert wrote:
        > I have uNLSUng linux running on my NSLU2.
        >
        > My NSLU2 has been upgraded to 266 Mhz.
        >
        > I solved the write frequency problem by using a compact flash to usb
        > adapter and installing an IBM 1 gig microdrive to unsling to.
        >
        > I have a problem whether running unslung or not. When I power down the
        > NSLU2 and come back later to boot it, it fails to boot.The System
        > Ready/Status light stays yellow and my ethernet light stays green. I
        > have left it and it will sit there for hours with no change.
        >
        > Yet if I power cycle and start the unit it boots fine.
        >
        > I have flashed back to linksys firmware and never see the problem. It
        > boots every time.

        I'm a bit confused at this point - can you clarify a few points? You
        say you have a problem whether running unslung or not, and then you say
        that you don't see the problem when you flash back to linksys firmware?

        The procedure you describe doesn't seem to be different -- in both cases
        you power it down. Is the problem that it fails to boot if you leave it
        powered off for a while, and it boots ok if you immediately power-cycle
        it? Also, how do you initiate the power-cycle for each case (web
        interface, power button, command line, pull-the-plug)?

        > Is this a common problem ?

        No.

        > Is there a fix for this ?

        I don't know; we need more information.

        > Also in the same lines is there a way to make the system boot faster ?

        Certainly. There are a number of things that the Linksys firmware does
        that can be removed, or streamlined in all probability. In order to do
        so, you would almost certainly need a serial console on the device. See
        the wiki for information on how to add this.

        The first step is to determine the current boot time you're seeing, and
        establish a goal for what you require it to be -- and based on that
        you'll have to start looking at where the boot time is being spent. One
        area that will be very tricky is the mounting of the drive's partitions
        at boot; that's handled by Linksys code for which we have no source --
        so there's little that can be done about that part of it. However,
        other steps can be skipped, or deferred -- the web browser, quota
        enabling (although I think that's already deferred). Another area to
        examine would be the boot-time delay that's built in where Unslung waits
        for the drive(s) to become ready during boot; this is tricky as many
        devices have two times that they present -- one at first power-up, and
        another (usually faster) if the device is already initialized and
        spun-up. So if you're not careful, you can "tune" the timeout so that
        it reboots very quickly -- but won't boot to unslung mode when it boots
        from a power-off state.

        Mike (mwester)
      • gr8npwrfl
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
          The boot problem occurs when I have the system running and either tell
          the system to shutdown or I press the front panel button.

          I leave the wall mount transformer plugged into the unit and come back
          later or the next day to boot.

          I press the front panel button and the system hangs with the status
          ready light at yellow and the network light at green.

          I pull the power plug from the NSLU2 and plug it back in immediately
          and press the front power button to start the system up. It then
          continues a normal boot with no problems.

          If I leave the power plug disconnected for an extended time, plug it
          in and press the front power button to boot. It will hang with the
          yellow/green status. Unplug and plug in the power and hit the front
          panel switch it will boot properly.

          If it occurred in stock linksys software I would then tend to believe it
          would be in the reset circuit. But since it only happens in uNSLUng it
          has me stymied.

          When I said before it happened both slung and unslung I was saying
          that it is not my external micro drive that is causing the problem.
        • Ian Key
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2008

            >The boot problem occurs when I have the system running and either tell
            >the system to shutdown or I press the front panel button.
            >
            >I leave the wall mount transformer plugged into the unit and come >back later or the next day to boot.
            >
            >I press the front panel button and the system hangs with the status
            >ready light at yellow and the network light at green.
            >
            >I pull the power plug from the NSLU2 and plug it back in immediately
            >and press the front power button to start the system up. It then
            >continues a normal boot with no problems.
            >
            >If I leave the power plug disconnected for an extended time, plug it
            >in and press the front power button to boot. It will hang with the
            >yellow/green status. Unplug and plug in the power and hit the front
            >panel switch it will boot properly.
            >
            >If it occurred in stock linksys software I would then tend to believe it
            >would be in the reset circuit. But since it only happens in uNSLUng it
            >has me stymied.
            >
            >When I said before it happened both slung and unslung I was saying
            >that it is not my external micro drive that is causing the problem.

            Could it be the microdrive is taking time to spin-up? When Unslung, the drive isn't ready and the boot process hangs and never recovers. By powering off and on quickly and the drive is ready (having spun up on the failed boot process)?

            You wouldn't see the problem with the Linksys firmware as it may not access the drive for booting up......

            Ian

            Not happy with your email address?
            Get the one youreally want - millions of new email addresses available now at Yahoo!