Re: No such device on both /dev/lp0 and /dev/usb/lp0

  • Del
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2008
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, fatejd <fatejd@...> wrote:
      > I ran all instructions from the wiki for adding a USB printer and
      > it failed for the original /dev/lp0 device and the /dev/usb/lp0
      > alteration that I made in the printers.conf file. I'm a Linux
      > newbie, but I'm fairly certain that I got it all correct...

      I have CUPS working on my slug running 5.x. I followed the
      instructions at:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org

      Search for "printer" and you can see which of the "Add a printer"
      HOWTOs might work for you. One of them seems to imply broken behavior.

      Sorry this may not have been completely helpful, but the good news is
      CUPS *can* work fine for a USB printer on a slug. I'm running a
      single Samsung ML-1740 laser printer.

      It's worth noting that I still install Samsung's Universal printer
      driver on my workstations. Why? I figure the slug just doesn't have
      enough memory and processing power (aka, "oomph") to handle
      full-fledged foomatic processing for CUPS. So it's basically
      configured as a "raw" printer, and I let the client systems do the
      appropriate formatting.

      Good luck,
      -Del

      > I have a Canon Pixma IP1500, but am attempting it as raw since
      > all people said it works fine like that.
      >
      > I'm running Unslung 6.10 beta...
      >
      > Is there something I've missed?
    • fatejd
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2008
        I have the driver installed on the workstation PC (Windows Vista) and have
        run the only setup for adding a printer that looks to be somewhat updated on
        nslu2-linux.org. I'm just wondering if maybe I have something wrong in the
        description of my printer. Should I have it setup as parallel and have it
        at /dev/usb/lp0 or something else?

        Thanks