[nslu2-linux] No such device on both /dev/lp0 and /dev/usb/lp0

  • fatejd
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2008
      I ran all instructions from the wiki for adding a USB printer and it failed
      for the original /dev/lp0 device and the /dev/usb/lp0 alteration that I made
      in the printers.conf file. I'm a Linux newbie, but I'm fairly certain that
      I got it all correct...

      I have a Canon Pixma IP1500, but am attempting it as raw since all people
      said it works fine like that.

      I'm running Unslung 6.10 beta...

      Is there something I've missed?
    • Del
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2008
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, fatejd <fatejd@...> wrote:
        > I ran all instructions from the wiki for adding a USB printer and
        > it failed for the original /dev/lp0 device and the /dev/usb/lp0
        > alteration that I made in the printers.conf file. I'm a Linux
        > newbie, but I'm fairly certain that I got it all correct...

        I have CUPS working on my slug running 5.x. I followed the
        instructions at:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org

        Search for "printer" and you can see which of the "Add a printer"
        HOWTOs might work for you. One of them seems to imply broken behavior.

        Sorry this may not have been completely helpful, but the good news is
        CUPS *can* work fine for a USB printer on a slug. I'm running a
        single Samsung ML-1740 laser printer.

        It's worth noting that I still install Samsung's Universal printer
        driver on my workstations. Why? I figure the slug just doesn't have
        enough memory and processing power (aka, "oomph") to handle
        full-fledged foomatic processing for CUPS. So it's basically
        configured as a "raw" printer, and I let the client systems do the
        appropriate formatting.

        Good luck,
        -Del

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2008
          I have the driver installed on the workstation PC (Windows Vista) and have
          run the only setup for adding a printer that looks to be somewhat updated on
          nslu2-linux.org. I'm just wondering if maybe I have something wrong in the
          description of my printer. Should I have it setup as parallel and have it
          at /dev/usb/lp0 or something else?

          Thanks