Re: [nslu2-linux] Can't run ScanDisk under Unslung 1.11beta

  • Ian White
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
      IanW wrote> I'm trying to run ScanDisk on a schedule once per week
      IanW wrote> Unfortunately it is always failing, reporting that the disk is
      in-use
      IanW wrote> the report is timed about 5 minutes after the scheduled start time

      Rod replied> You can't scandisk the disk from which the root filesystem is
      loaded.
      Rod replied> The simple fact is that linux needs to unmount a disk to check it,
      and
      Rod replied> you can't unmount a disk from which the rootfs is loaded.
      Rod replied> If this answers your question, then your fee is to add this to the
      FAQ :-)

      Ah some vague memories are returning ...

      So I *could* boot-up the slug *without* the disk attached
      so that I don't load the root from the disk,
      but load it from the ramdisk instead
      as per the fail-safe/fall-back boot option of unslung

      Then I could plug the disk back in
      and then I would be able to scan the disk
      because it could now be unmounted?

      I'll try this at home this evening
      and if it works,
      then I'll "pay the fee"

      (I might even also document how to manually add backup jobs
      beyond the 5 allowed by the web admin page ;-)

      I'm looking forward to trying Unslung 2.x beta when it is released
      as I have been too busy sorting out other people's PCs
      to get round to rebuilding one of my PCs into a Linux system +
      Unslung cross-compliation tool-chain and then building the alpha from sources
      (Plus I'm also a coward ;-)

      Sad note: It has now been 10 years since I was a
      serious Unix user/application developer and I still miss it
      And I still need the Cygwin tools + VI to tollerate PC app. development

      Thank goodness for OpenSource
    • mdadmnslu2
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ian White" <iandavidwhite@h...>
        wrote:
        > I am happilly running Unslung 1.11beta
        >
        > Almost everything is working just fine:
        >
        > I have 6 shares with 6 backup jobs, running on various schedules
        > (yep, I figured out how to manually add/configure more than the
        > 5 backup jobs allowed by the web admin)
        >
        > Telnet is permanently enabled
        >
        > And NTPclient is keeping the slug in perfect time-sync
        >
        > Just one small problem:
        >
        > In addition to the various backups
        > I'm also trying to run ScanDisk on a schedule once per week
        >
        > Unfortunately it is always failing, reporting that the disk is in-
        use
        > the report is timed about 5 minutes after the scheduled start time
        >
        > I have tried running ScanDisk from the web admin "disks" page.
        > It seems to start okay, including prompting me to confirm that all
        connections will be dropped
        > but after about 5 minutes it too reports that the Disk is in-use
        >
        > I have even tried a scheduled backup with all the other PCs on the
        network
        > shutdown and I have tried a manually-initiated backup, with just
        one PC booted,
        > but with no connected shares
        >
        > I have yet to try a sheduled backup with the network disconnected.
        >
        > The ScanDisk used to work under the stock firmware
        >
        > Anyone have any ideas about might be going wrong?
        >
        > Thanks from an otherwise happy Unslung user
        > Ian W.

        I did have the same problem. My knowledge of linux is allmost nill.
        Have Unslung 1.11 installed and a few packages, among which
        permanently runnung mt-daapd. My scheduled scandisk tasks did not
        work. I was able to run scandisk after killing the mt-daapd service
        using "killall mt-daapd". Maybe you could try the same for the extra
        services you have running.
        As I am replying anyway, could anyone tell me how I am able to check
        wheather the ntpclient is running and syncing. This because I am not
        sure if it is running and I have not been able to do all things as
        described in the package how to.
        Anyway Ian, good luck.