Re: Samba upgrade installs xinted: no telnet nor SWAT after this

  • doll_oliver
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 31, 2008

      I had my Slug running with Samba 3.2.0-1 for some time, now though
      SWAT no longer recognizes that the daemons smbd & nmbd are active.

      But when I returned from vacation trying to copy some files to the
      Slug I noticed two issues:

      i) it was very slow and I found nmbd running wild so I restarted it
      the services

      ii) even more odd I found some files with strange file names in some
      directories with creation dates even before my vacation which I
      couldn't delete remotely (from my windows client). When I logged into
      the Slug I found that when I copied a file with the file name - let's
      say "myfile.txt" to my network share that not only that file got
      created but also a second one with the file name
      "myfile.txt:Zone.Identifier:$DATA"

      So I decide to restore my backup before the upgrade and I returned to
      3.0.28a-1 ...
      --
      tnx & cheers
      Oliver
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "doll_oliver" wrote:
        > When I logged into
        > the Slug I found that when I copied a file with the file name - let's
        > say "myfile.txt" to my network share that not only that file got
        > created but also a second one with the file name
        > "myfile.txt:Zone.Identifier:$DATA"
        >
        > So I decide to restore my backup before the upgrade and I returned to
        > 3.0.28a-1 ...

        I tried to look for the reason why these files get created since I
        upgraded to samba 3.2. Searching the web I found the info [1] that one
        should add

        veto files = /*.Zone.Identifier:*/

        to the GLOBAL section in samba config file, but frankly this looks
        more like a workaround to me!?

        When looking at the samba 3.2 release notes I guess this behavior had
        been introced by one of the two features?

        o Support for storing alternate data streams in xattrs.
        o Encrypted SMB transport in client tools and libraries, and server.

        Unfortunately the Search function is currently not working on the
        samba.org site(s).
        --
        thx & cheers
        Oliver

        [1]
        http://forums.opensuse.org/network-internet/387779-samba-file-transfer-creates-zone-identifier-files.html
      • doll_oliver
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "doll_oliver" wrote:
          > Unfortunately the Search function is currently not working on the
          > samba.org site(s).

          think I found it as being caused a bug in the 3.2 release
          --
          thx & cheers
          Oliver

          [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/samba@.../msg94691.html
        • Brian Zhou
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
            Hi Oliver,

            Thanks for the problem report and investigation.

            Samba 3.2.1 has just been released and supposedly include this fix. I
            upgraded optware samba package to 3.2.1 after testing that I can
            connect to a share on unslung. It probably would take a few hours
            before the new ipk reach the feed.

            Cheers,

            -Brian

            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 9, 2008
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" wrote:
              > Thanks for the problem report and investigation.

              np

              > Samba 3.2.1 has just been released and supposedly include this fix. I
              > upgraded optware samba package to 3.2.1 after testing that I can
              > connect to a share on unslung. It probably would take a few hours
              > before the new ipk reach the feed.

              thx for this. I was able to update my Slug with your update this
              morning and everything looks fine, now.
              --
              thx & cheers
              Oliver

              PS: the issue with SWAT persists: it still reports smbd and nmbd as
              "not running" though it's properly listing the active connection &
              shares and the open files.
            • doll_oliver
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 21, 2008
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "doll_oliver" wrote:
                > [...] But my latest status is:
                >
                > Either I upgrade to Samba 3.2 with or without using xinted
                > making the changes mentioned above SWAT's status page lists
                >
                > smbd: not running
                > nmbd: not running
                >
                > though samba is running and the pages lists open connections,
                > shares and files. [...]

                I think I finally got SWAT working on the Unslung image, again:
                Beside the IP range of the local ethernet interface which needed to be
                added to the smb.conf ("interfaces = <myEth-IP>, ipx0, lo") config I
                also added 127.0.0.1/24.

                Now, /opt/bin/nmblookup -A localhost.
                Looking up status of 127.0.0.1
                NLSU2 <00> - H <ACTIVE>
                NSLU2 <03> - H <ACTIVE>
                NSLU2 <20> - H <ACTIVE>
                ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>
                MY_DOMAIN <1d> - H <ACTIVE>
                MY_DOMAIN <1b> - H <ACTIVE>
                MY_DOMAIN <1c> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>
                MY_DOMAIN <1e> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>
                MY_DOMAIN <00> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>

                MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

                works again. I guess the translation of "ipx0" and "lo" got broken on
                Unslung for samba 3.2+!?
                --
                thx & cheers
                Oliver