Can't run ScanDisk under Unslung 1.11beta

  • Ian White
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
      I am happilly running Unslung 1.11beta

      Almost everything is working just fine:

      I have 6 shares with 6 backup jobs, running on various schedules
      (yep, I figured out how to manually add/configure more than the
      5 backup jobs allowed by the web admin)

      Telnet is permanently enabled

      And NTPclient is keeping the slug in perfect time-sync

      Just one small problem:

      In addition to the various backups
      I'm also trying to run ScanDisk on a schedule once per week

      Unfortunately it is always failing, reporting that the disk is in-use
      the report is timed about 5 minutes after the scheduled start time

      I have tried running ScanDisk from the web admin "disks" page.
      It seems to start okay, including prompting me to confirm that all connections will be dropped
      but after about 5 minutes it too reports that the Disk is in-use

      I have even tried a scheduled backup with all the other PCs on the network
      shutdown and I have tried a manually-initiated backup, with just one PC booted,
      but with no connected shares

      I have yet to try a sheduled backup with the network disconnected.

      The ScanDisk used to work under the stock firmware

      Anyone have any ideas about might be going wrong?

      Thanks from an otherwise happy Unslung user
      Ian W.
    • rwhitby
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
        On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 10:29:39 -0000, Ian White <iandavidwhite@...> wrote:
        > I'm also trying to run ScanDisk on a schedule once per week
        >
        > Unfortunately it is always failing, reporting that the disk is in-use
        > the report is timed about 5 minutes after the scheduled start time

        You can't scandisk the disk from which the root filesystem is loaded.

        The simple fact is that linux needs to unmount a disk to check it, and
        you can't unmount a disk from which the rootfs is loaded.

        It's the same thing as Windows telling you that it can't scan your
        system disk now, but will do so at the next reboot. I don't know if
        you can tell Linux to scan at the next boot.

        If this answers your question, then your fee is to add this to the FAQ :-)

        -- Rod
      • Ian White
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
          IanW wrote> I'm trying to run ScanDisk on a schedule once per week
          IanW wrote> Unfortunately it is always failing, reporting that the disk is
          in-use
          IanW wrote> the report is timed about 5 minutes after the scheduled start time

          Rod replied> You can't scandisk the disk from which the root filesystem is
          loaded.
          Rod replied> The simple fact is that linux needs to unmount a disk to check it,
          and
          Rod replied> you can't unmount a disk from which the rootfs is loaded.
          Rod replied> If this answers your question, then your fee is to add this to the
          FAQ :-)

          Ah some vague memories are returning ...

          So I *could* boot-up the slug *without* the disk attached
          so that I don't load the root from the disk,
          but load it from the ramdisk instead
          as per the fail-safe/fall-back boot option of unslung

          Then I could plug the disk back in
          and then I would be able to scan the disk
          because it could now be unmounted?

          I'll try this at home this evening
          and if it works,
          then I'll "pay the fee"

          (I might even also document how to manually add backup jobs
          beyond the 5 allowed by the web admin page ;-)

          I'm looking forward to trying Unslung 2.x beta when it is released
          as I have been too busy sorting out other people's PCs
          to get round to rebuilding one of my PCs into a Linux system +
          Unslung cross-compliation tool-chain and then building the alpha from sources
          (Plus I'm also a coward ;-)

          Sad note: It has now been 10 years since I was a
          serious Unix user/application developer and I still miss it
          And I still need the Cygwin tools + VI to tollerate PC app. development

          Thank goodness for OpenSource
        • mdadmnslu2
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ian White" <iandavidwhite@h...>
            wrote:
            > I am happilly running Unslung 1.11beta
            >
            > Almost everything is working just fine:
            >
            > I have 6 shares with 6 backup jobs, running on various schedules
            > (yep, I figured out how to manually add/configure more than the
            > 5 backup jobs allowed by the web admin)
            >
            > Telnet is permanently enabled
            >
            > And NTPclient is keeping the slug in perfect time-sync
            >
            > Just one small problem:
            >
            > In addition to the various backups
            > I'm also trying to run ScanDisk on a schedule once per week
            >
            > Unfortunately it is always failing, reporting that the disk is in-
            use
            > the report is timed about 5 minutes after the scheduled start time
            >
            > I have tried running ScanDisk from the web admin "disks" page.
            > It seems to start okay, including prompting me to confirm that all
            connections will be dropped
            > but after about 5 minutes it too reports that the Disk is in-use
            >
            > I have even tried a scheduled backup with all the other PCs on the
            network
            > shutdown and I have tried a manually-initiated backup, with just
            one PC booted,
            > but with no connected shares
            >
            > I have yet to try a sheduled backup with the network disconnected.
            >
            > The ScanDisk used to work under the stock firmware
            >
            > Anyone have any ideas about might be going wrong?
            >
            > Thanks from an otherwise happy Unslung user
            > Ian W.

            I did have the same problem. My knowledge of linux is allmost nill.
            Have Unslung 1.11 installed and a few packages, among which
            permanently runnung mt-daapd. My scheduled scandisk tasks did not
            work. I was able to run scandisk after killing the mt-daapd service
            using "killall mt-daapd". Maybe you could try the same for the extra
            services you have running.
            As I am replying anyway, could anyone tell me how I am able to check
            wheather the ntpclient is running and syncing. This because I am not
            sure if it is running and I have not been able to do all things as
            described in the package how to.
            Anyway Ian, good luck.